Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no!

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, elmo3

Wheat

Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no!

Post by Wheat »

End of 1941, blizzard, T28. I have attacked as much as I could, from north to south, every unit with enough MP and a remote chance of victory, attacked.

No guards created so far, and as I understand it, starting in 42, the number of victories needed increases?

Here are my victorious units.

Attachments
WinsLossesEndt28.jpg
WinsLossesEndt28.jpg (190.86 KiB) Viewed 60 times
Wheat

RE: Is Gamesaurus Rex right? Tell me no!

Post by Wheat »

The losses to date. The germans are attacking during blizzard! GR is insane.

Attachments
LossesT28.jpg
LossesT28.jpg (44.75 KiB) Viewed 60 times
Wheat

Post by Wheat »

The OOB, t28, end of 1941. Could the Germans go under 3 million??

Attachments
OOBt28.jpg
OOBt28.jpg (48.72 KiB) Viewed 60 times
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

My amateur's reading: you still have 9 more turns of blizzard, and many of your infantry divisions just need another 1 or 2 wins to be eligible for guards. So I predict that by the end of the blizzard you will have several guard divisions with more on the way.

Based on the OOBs I think you're in good shape. Also the fact that
GR is insane

will work in your favor. [;)]
GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

The Fuhrer is the one who is insane ! We are just following orders !
The Fuhrer has ordered "NOT ONE STEP BACK !"... and the Wehrmact obeys... There will be no retreat ! H.H !

(The whole point of this exercise is to give the Russian every opportuntiy to earn Guards. If Wheat can't do it by blizzard end, I will have proven my point that something significant has changed in the latest patches affecting the formation of Guards. I think it was Morvael's fixing of the Russian "win" counter without any adjustment of number of wins needed to award Guards status. My sense of it is that some slight reduction of the number of "wins" needed... should have been made at the same time the "win" counter was fixed. Just my opinion.)

[I say this because I suspect that the number of "wins" needed to award Guard status was probably an arbitrary programming decision based upon beta-testing when the "win" counter was bugged and double crediting wins to the Russian. Now with the counter fixed, the number needed to award is probably too high to achieve... especially with the reduced blizzard.]
"Real Life" is a game... THIS is war !
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Hi guys, been missing you. GR, let's state the obvious which is that you two, if no or few guards, have shown that in your circumstance (only) have few guards. Many other players have lots of guards with v.15 (including myself).

Let's hope you don't go permanently into "Fuhrer land". Now that was funny!! The Fuhrer demands laughter.
jwolf

Post by jwolf »

GR and Wheat, sorry I don't remember, but is this game with severe or mild blizzard?

At any rate, I submit that Wheat has many divisions on the edge of guards status and he should have several by the end of January; certainly by the end of February. Disclaimer: my rash prediction is based on the assumption that the German line isn't locked with forts throughout, and based on the wild description of the December fighting, that seems likely. If GR has a solid line of forts then all bets are off. Especially with the mild blizzard it is difficult for the Soviets to crack a fortified line.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Things are just fine. You shouldn't have a bunch of guard rifle divisions at the end of 1941. Keep plugging away, and many of those units should make guards by end of February. So report back in 8 weeks.
GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

We will M60... We plan to continue this game at least thru the reduced blizzard, even if the 1.08 patch comes out, so we can see if you are correct about the Guards. I hope you are, but I sure haven't seen it and have my doubts, because the necessary "wins" just don't seem to be piling up. Wheat has been hammering away at my Krauts at every opportunity, but at turn 30 we have yet to see even a single guards unit appear.
Blubel

Post by Blubel »

You didn't fight enough in summer. It helps to get some of them into winter with 3-4 wins.The south is a good place for easy soviet wins with the good units already there.
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

I agree with Blubel. The Soviets must do some good counter offensives during the summer of 41 in order to have good Guards production. If they do the counter offensives it is really hard to gain Guard status now as you are relying on the Soviets to gain their wins on defense only and a good Axis player will not allow that to happen easily.
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

Its possible with a good deal of planning to get the units with a few wins out of harms way just to bring them back for the offensive. Lots of micro managing but the benefits are worth it if you like little red counters!
Wheat

Post by Wheat »

Well, T31, Jan 15, 1942, I have my first GUARDS inf div.

He had 8 wins, no losses. I have others with 8 wins, but losses.

So, looks like I might see a handful by blizzards end.
Oshawott

Post by Oshawott »

Yay, math wins!
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Did you get the morale bonus (+5)?

I seem to have been confusing guards combat units with guards armies,sigh, more manual time.

At least I'm getting better with navigating in the updated manual.
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

ORIGINAL: Wheat

So, looks like I might see a handful by blizzards end.

I recently finished a blizzard (which was nothing special, and my opponent did not provide a lot of attack opportunities in summer 41) and I have plenty of guards units. No issues with this particular feature, IMO.
Wheat

Post by Wheat »

Ok, just to update, with the ability to attack pretty much at will, I finished the blizzard with 54 guards units, 12 of them cavalry corps, and 42 infantry divisions.

So, I agree with hfarrish and other others, the guards can be gotten, all you need is access to the secret ingredient, a willing german player. Now maybe GR will admit the Russians should attack during the blizzard? Huh?

Well, the forum is waiting a reply.
charlie0311

Post by charlie0311 »

Sure, I'll bite you guys are pretty much fun. GR won't admit anything until he sobers up from his "Fuhrer Trance"
GamesaurusRex

Post by GamesaurusRex »

LOL... What's to admit ?

You need to reread Wheat's post...
The key words are: "with the ability to attack pretty much at will... all you need is access to the secret ingredient, a willing german player."

In this test case I did everything I could to leave German positions available to be attacked throughout the blizzard and, as a result, Wheat managed 54 Guards.

This is not how an experienced German player would play. A savy German opponent will simply do what Wheat did in our previous games... that is, retreat in the blizzard and refuse combat. The result will be predictably less than 54 Guards. In our last game it was NONE.
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

retreat in the blizzard and refuse combat

Play with sudden death and that strategy becomes more problematic

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”