air combat

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jnpoint

air combat

Post by jnpoint »

I have been fooling around with some airplanes in the last campaign, but I have some clarification questions, and I would be grateful if anyone answered them.

How do I find out, which altitude is best for which plane?

If I change the different patrol levels, I do not see any difference in combat result. So does it matter at all:
CAP
LRcap
Train
Rest
ASW
Serch
Grfin Zeppelin

RE: air combat

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

A good place to start.

stuff

jnpoint

Post by jnpoint »

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

A good place to start.

stuff
Thanks - that is a good link. thanks again.
Commander Stormwolf

Post by Commander Stormwolf »

i can give a big hint,

set your planes to max altitude and sweep

altitude advantage is more important in the current version of the game than pilot experience, or other variables

i think it needs to be changed, but for the current game, it's the best way to set your fighters
"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf
jmalter

Post by jmalter »

sweep at max alt is good for a specific purpose, to attack enemy CAP over an enemy base. but high-alt setting will increase fatigue.

for CAP & LRcap, 15000' is good. if you're defending w/ multiple F sqns, you can try 1 at 20k', another at 5 or 10k', keeping 1 or 2 at 15k. this is the 'layered-CAP' approach, used to defend a large air-base. altitude advantage is important, as Cdr. Stormwolf says, but low-level attackers can sneak under your 25000' guys.

for Training, always set alt to 10k' or less, and range=0.
for NavSearch, 6k' is the accepted standard.
for ASW, 1000' is usual, some players like the 100' setting.

the desire is to keep fatigue low & morale high. so planes should fly at the lowest altitude and range that is consistent w/ their assigned mission. note there are specific heights for specific missions, such as Strafe, LowN, LowG, & Level/Glide/Dive Bombing.

if you Train your DBs for NavAttack at 8000', they'll gain skill in NavB. when assigned to a combat mission, they'll be more effective at 10-15k'.
for Recon, lower is better, higher avoids enemy AA.

Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

ORIGINAL: Commander Stormwolf

i can give a big hint,

altitude advantage is more important in the current version of the game than pilot experience, or other variables

i think it needs to be changed, but for the current game, it's the best way to set your fighters

DivePac88

Post by DivePac88 »

Layered CAP is best I think, as the Japanese I use 13000/16000/19000.
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
pharmy

Post by pharmy »

Yeah I noticed that Allied players who set their Warhawks on 20k often entirely miss a 6000k raid , and even if they catch a Zero 15k raid, rarely will their first pass be successful (on 32k they fail in doing any damage). I think later on when the speed gap is larger it will probably be true that the higher you are the more advantage you have, but I think it has to be coupled to a speed advantage higher the 20mph and a much better climb rate. Haven't played enough PBEMs to be sure of the phenomena
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

I would have to agree with this.....I'll work the fatigue out.
ORIGINAL: Commander Stormwolf

i can give a big hint,

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”