Pilot replacements????

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

steamboateng

Pilot replacements????

Post by steamboateng »

Am I interpreting the rules and GUI correctly when ordering pilot replacements from the squadron screen if I........
1. Set pilot replacement so 'Automatic' shows in yellow then:
a. pilot selection is in 'manual', so I can define skill level, and which of the three pool groups pilots are chosen from as
well as build up the squadron pilot pool to 30% over the squadron's max number of airframes.
2. Set pilot replacement so 'Manual' shows in yellow then:
a. pilot selection is 'automatic', so the computer choses the skill level of the replacement, but I can choose from which
of the three pools the pilots are chosen from. The computer will add a replacement only when the number of pilots
in the suadron is less tha the number of airframes. (This negates building a suadron 'reserve')
The game manual doesn't at all explain these functions.
Heeeeeeelp!..............inverted toggle tags, multiple pool resources, and FOM (Fog og of Manual) are setting the coo-coo birds aflight about my monitor...........and they're making noise and confusing meeeeeee!!!!!!!!
CapAndGown

RE: Pilot replacements????

Post by CapAndGown »

All my squadrons are set to manual and I never get automatic pilot selection. I always choose my pilots manually. (Last thing I want is the AI picking my pilots!)
ckammp

Post by ckammp »

Pilot Replacement

Automatic Pilot Replacement

Setting Pilot Replacement to "Automatic" (it will be in yellow text) will allow the computer to select replacement pilot(s) for the air unit.
When "Automatic" is selected, you can set the desired experience level of the replacement pilot(s): Any/ Trained 50+/ Rookie 60+/ Experienced 70+/ Veteran 80+/ Elite 90+.
Once your experience level is set, the computer will assign random pilot(s) to the unit.
If you set "Any" as the desired experience level, the computer will assign new pilot(s) from the Replacement Pool.
If you select Trained 50+, Rookie 60+, or Experienced 70+, the computer will search for eligible pilot(s) in the Reserve Pool; if no pilot(s) are available, no pilot(s) will be assigned to the air unit. If you select Veteran 80+ or Elite 90+, the computer will search for eligible pilot(s) in the Reserve Pool and in TRACOM; if no pilot(s) are available, no pilot(s) will be assigned to the air unit.

Manual Pilot Replacement

Setting Pilot Replacement to "Manual" (it will be in yellow text) will allow the player to select replacement pilot(s) for the air unit.
When "Manual" is selected, the player can use "Get New Pilot" or "Get x Pilots" to assign a random pilot(s) to the unit.
These new, random pilots will come from the Replacement Pool (they will be very low experience). 

Request Veteran

The "Request Veteran" option is available when using either Automatic Pilot Replacement or Manual Pilot Replacement.
When using "Request Veteran", the player can select which pool the desired replacement pilot come from: Any/ Replacement/ Reserve/ TRACOM.
Once your pool is selected, the player can use "Request Veteran" to show a list of available pilots, click on the pilot's name to assign him to the air unit.
Selecting both Any and Replacement will show a list of all available veteran pilots.
Selecting Reserve will show a list of veteran pilots assigned to General Reserve.
Selecting TRACOM will show a list of veteran pilots assigned to TRACOM.

Notes:

1) An air unit can have 33% more pilots than the maximum number of planes( ie- if the air unit can have 13 planes, it can have 17 pilots); the computer will only assign an equal number of pilots as planes, you have to use either Manual Pilot Replacement or Request Veteran if you want the air unit to have 33% more pilots.

2) While playing the game, selecting "Allow Replacements"/"Replacements ON" for air units is the same as choosing Automatic Pilot Replacement; you can select either Automatic or Manual Pilot Replacement for any or all of your air groups.

Hope this helps.

Charbroiled

Post by Charbroiled »

Excellent write-up ckammp!
The "Request Veteran" option is available when using either Automatic Pilot Replacement or Manual Pilot Replacement.
When using "Request Veteran", the player can select which pool the desired replacement pilot come from: Any/ Replacement/ Reserve/ TRACOM.
Once your pool is selected, the player can use "Request Veteran" to show a list of available pilots, click on the pilot's name to assign him to the air unit.

To add a little:  Sometimes when you select a pilot for a unit, the pilot will disappear from the pool, but you can't find the pilot in your pilot list for that unit.  This is because the pilot is "traveling" and has a delay time. If the delay time is over 7 days (I think this is the magic number, but not sure) he will not show up on the pilot list until his delay time is reduced to 7 days.

Also, when removing a pilot from an air unit and placing him in the pool, you can not reduce the number of pilots for that air unit to be below the max airframe value.  In other words, if you have an air unit that can have a max of 25 planes and you have 33 pilots in that unit, you can only assign 8 pilots to the reserve pool. Howerver, you can assign the other pilots to the group reserve. 
2) While playing the game, selecting "Allow Replacements"/"Replacements ON" for air units is the same as choosing Automatic Pilot Replacement; you can select either Automatic or Manual Pilot Replacement for any or all of your air groups.

This part I didn't know.  That must be why I seem to be getting pilots when I don't request any.

"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

It helps quite a bit. Thank you. Figuring out the various choices and GUI for pilot replacements is a bit of a chore The manual is quite vague on the matter. I prefer to keep air squadron roster at +33% as it helps to keep fatigue levels reasonable during those intense times while while taking supplies/fuel/reinforcements under contested air cover. Ive been doing it manually, so it looks as if I must continue to do so to keep squadron roster at max.
Thanks again
Regards
Cad908

Post by Cad908 »

Note: On pilots arriving when you do not request them.....

I started a thread in the tech support forum on this topic as I was seeing the same thing and it was annoying. It took some time to figure out this was a database issue. When a new air group is activated, some pilots are also activated with the group. Sometimes, others are also added but are staggered out in their arrival in the database. In the fighter group screen, you will only "see" them when their arrival time gets to 7 days. For example, a fighter group may activate in the Eastern US with 20 planes and 20 pilots in the group. Also, there may be other pilots assigned to the group in the pilot database which will have a few more trickling in over the next six months or a year. When the group arrives, I usually fill it out with planes and new pilots and set them to training. After a couple of months, I would have 25 planes and 37 pilots, instead of the 33 I had allocated. I would sent pilots back to 33, then a few months or weeks later 3 or 4 move would arrive out of the blue. For more info, check out my post in tech support.

American fighter groups see this more than others.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

Excellent write-up ckammp!

To add a little:  Sometimes when you select a pilot for a unit, the pilot will disappear from the pool, but you can't find the pilot in your pilot list for that unit.  This is because the pilot is "traveling" and has a delay time. If the delay time is over 7 days (I think this is the magic number, but not sure) he will not show up on the pilot list until his delay time is reduced to 7 days.

Also, when removing a pilot from an air unit and placing him in the pool, you can not reduce the number of pilots for that air unit to be below the max airframe value.  In other words, if you have an air unit that can have a max of 25 planes and you have 33 pilots in that unit, you can only assign 8 pilots to the reserve pool. Howerver, you can assign the other pilots to the group reserve. 

This part I didn't know.  That must be why I seem to be getting pilots when I don't request any.

The highlighted part is only true for air groups that have a withdrawal date. If they don't have to be withdrawn you can remove all pilots and start with new ones.
xj900uk

Post by xj900uk »

I've noticed that if you try to remove pilots from certian squadrons (particularly those with a given withdrawal date) you can only put them to 'squadron reserve', it is impossible to assign them to the general reserve pool
If you then go into a neighbouring squadron and do the 'request veteran' option and then try to transfer across those pilots that are in the original's 'squadron reserve', instead they all go automatically to the TRAICOM section of the reserve pilot pools! ANyone else out there notice this? Once they are in TRAICOM you can assign them elsewhere but it seems to take an awufl length of time to get them anywhere.
Note that htis restriction only seems to apply when the oringal squadron (that you are attempting to move the pilots from) has a withdrawal date...
ckammp

Post by ckammp »

On the Pilots screen of an air unit, there are 2 types of pilots:

1) Pilots with more than 80 EXP; these pilots will have their names in yellow text. You have 2 options with these pilots - send them to TRACOM, or make them inactive (places them in the Group Reserve).
You cannot send these pilots to General Reserve from the air unit. If you want these pilots in General Reserve, you must first send them to TRACOM, then transfer them to General Reserve.
When these pilots are inactive in the unit, they can be transferred to another unit, or made active.

2) Pilots with 80 EXP or less; these pilots will have their names in white text. You have 2 options with these pilots - rotate them for 180 days, or make inactive (places them in Group Reserve).
You cannot send these pilots to TRACOM. Only pilots with more than 80 EXP can be sent to TRACOM.
When these pilots are inactive in the unit, they can be sent to General Reserve, transferred to another unit, or made active. 

Air units scheduled for withdraw:

Pilots in air units scheduled for withdraw initially can only be made inactive (placed in Group Reserve).
When inactive, they can be transferred to another unit, or made active.
When the number of pilots assigned to the unit exceeds the maximum number of planes + 1, then random pilots in the unit will be eligible to transfer to TRACOM (if the pilot has more than 80 EXP), or to General Reserve (if the pilot has 80 EXP or less).

For example: if the unit can have a maximum of 13 planes, it can have a maximum of 17 pilots. 
If the unit has 14 or fewer pilots assigned, no pilots can be sent to TRACOM or General Reserve.
If the unit has 15 pilots assigned, 1 randomly selected pilot can be sent to TRACOM or General Reserve.
If the unit has 16 pilots assigned, 2 randomly selected pilots can be sent to TRACOM or General Reserve.
If the unit has 17 pilots assigned, 3 randomly selected pilots can be sent to TRACOM or General Reserve. 

Pilot transfer delay

Each time a pilot is transferred, there is a random, up to 15-day delay. If the delay is 7 days or less, the pilot will be shown on his unit's PILOTS screen, with the delay in the last column. If the delay is 8-15 days, the pilot will only be listed on the Group Reserve screen, with the delay shown in year/month mode (ie-42/10).
The Group Reserve screen lists all inactive pilots with delays from 1-179 days. Before assigning pilots to an air unit, it is a good idea to check the Group Reserve list to see if the unit has any assigned pilots that have not yet arrived. 
xj900uk

Post by xj900uk »

When the number of pilots assigned to the unit exceeds the maximum number of planes + 1, then random pilots in the unit will be eligible to transfer to TRACOM (if the pilot has more than 80 EXP)
Sorry but that's not working for me. [&:] Every time I try to t'fer the pilot from group reserve of his original (disbanding) squadron into a new squadron that isn't disbanding (and from the new squadron using the 'get veteran option') he automaticlaly goes straight into TRACOM regardless of quality. [:@] The result is that I now have dozens of not-very good pilots in my TRACOM pool and ironically only one of exp above 80.
Pilots with more than 80 EXP; these pilots will have their names in yellow text. You have 2 options with these pilots - send them to TRACOM, or make them inactive (places them in the Group Reserve).
Doens't always happen for me. I've got a couple of 80+ experienced pilots in yellow with the AVG in China doing very well I wanted to put in TRACOM and the only option it gives me is to put them in Group Reserve - if I click on them again whilst shaded out the only option it gives me is to t'fer them back to active or else go home for 180 days extended leave... Which I actually have done to avoid them getting killed in action and to wait for newer types to come along
ckammp

Post by ckammp »

ORIGINAL: xj900uk
When the number of pilots assigned to the unit exceeds the maximum number of planes + 1, then random pilots in the unit will be eligible to transfer to TRACOM (if the pilot has more than 80 EXP)
Sorry but that's not working for me. [&:] Every time I try to t'fer the pilot from group reserve of his original (disbanding) squadron into a new squadron that isn't disbanding (and from the new squadron using the 'get veteran option') he automaticlaly goes straight into TRACOM regardless of quality. [:@] The result is that I now have dozens of not-very good pilots in my TRACOM pool and ironically only one of exp above 80.
Pilots with more than 80 EXP; these pilots will have their names in yellow text. You have 2 options with these pilots - send them to TRACOM, or make them inactive (places them in the Group Reserve).
Doens't always happen for me. I've got a couple of 80+ experienced pilots in yellow with the AVG in China doing very well I wanted to put in TRACOM and the only option it gives me is to put them in Group Reserve - if I click on them again whilst shaded out the only option it gives me is to t'fer them back to active or else go home for 180 days extended leave... Which I actually have done to avoid them getting killed in action and to wait for newer types to come along

Sounds like you have a frustrating bug. [:(]

I've played both sides in every scenario in AE, and I've only seen 80+ EXP pilots go to TRACOM. Can you at least transfer the low EXP pilots out of TRACOM?

All I can suggest is to put a save in the Tech Support forum, and ask one of the devs to take a look.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: ckammp

ORIGINAL: xj900uk

Sounds like you have a frustrating bug. [:(]

I've played both sides in every scenario in AE, and I've only seen 80+ EXP pilots go to TRACOM. Can you at least transfer the low EXP pilots out of TRACOM?

All I can suggest is to put a save in the Tech Support forum, and ask one of the devs to take a look.

Agreed. Pilot rotation is working exactly as ckammp explains for me. Look like abug, get the RAID!! [:D]
Pax
xj900uk

Post by xj900uk »

Agreed. It is very frustrating. TRACOM ends up with a load of crap pilots which take time to get there & time to get them back out & re-assigned to the right front-line squadron. Slow tortuous process but I can 'see' the right pilots in the TRACOM pool sooner or later & then move them out.

Right not it's mid-Jan '42 for the Allied player and I seem to have only one 81+ exp pilot in TRACOM + about 30 nondescript others who are probably doing a skive

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”