Matrix Games Forums

Come and see us during the Spieltagen in Essen!New Screenshots for Pike & ShotDeal of the Week Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTYCommand: Modern Air/Naval Operations WOTY is now available!Frontline : The Longest Day Announced and in Beta!Command gets Wargame of the Year EditionDeal of the Week: Pandora SeriesPandora: Eclipse of Nashira is now availableDistant Worlds Gets another updateHell is Approaching
Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Naval Guns W/"*" Next To Range

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Naval Guns W/"*" Next To Range Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Naval Guns W/"*" Next To Range - 10/14/2009 7:54:27 PM   
NAVMAN

Hi: Noted that the range values for some ship's guns have a "*" next to the value.
Does this indicate AA range?
C/n find anything in the manual.
Thx.
Post #: 1
RE: Naval Guns W/"*" Next To Range - 10/14/2009 9:32:22 PM   
Admiral Scott

was wondering about this myself.

(in reply to NAVMAN)
Post #: 2
RE: Naval Guns W/"*" Next To Range - 10/14/2009 9:49:59 PM   
FOW

The range given is for surface engagement.
The * indicates it is AA capable, but it's range is defined elsewhere. Check the devices in the editor.

(in reply to NAVMAN)
Post #: 3
RE: Naval Guns W/"*" Next To Range - 10/14/2009 10:08:34 PM   
Shark7

Yep, that is just a quick way for you to denote a DP weapon. The range given is for surface engagements, as noted above.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to FOW)
Post #: 4
RE: Naval Guns W/"*" Next To Range - 10/14/2009 10:49:09 PM   
Mynok

Do the Yamato's big guns have a '*'?

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 5
RE: Naval Guns W/"*" Next To Range - 10/15/2009 12:25:38 AM   
dorjun driver

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

男たちの大和

Interesting flick.

x - ARPAnaut
x - ACM
x - AES
Current - Bum

The paths of glory may lead you to the grave, but the paths of duty may not get you anywhere.
JT

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 6
RE: Naval Guns W/"*" Next To Range - 10/15/2009 1:24:01 AM   
Shark7

quote:

Technically Nagato and Mutsu *should* have the * for the first 2 years of the war...granted those submunitions were virtually useless...but who's keeping track of that?

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 7
RE: Naval Guns W/"*" Next To Range - 10/15/2009 4:47:42 AM   
Bradley7735

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

Technically Nagato and Mutsu *should* have the * for the first 2 years of the war...granted those submunitions were virtually useless...but who's keeping track of that?

Didn't Yamato and Musashi have 'shotgun' capable shot from their main guns? I thought I remembered reading about the Leyte gulf invasion and that the big BB's fired little bb's at the attacking American aircraft. (not that they were effective, though.) I only remember because the captains were very reluctant to fire the shot because they tore the crap out of the insides of the guns.

The older I get, the better I was.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 8
RE: Naval Guns W/"*" Next To Range - 10/15/2009 4:56:58 AM   
JuanG

All of the large caliber Japanese naval guns (8in - 18in) were capable of firing rounds that would probably best be classed as Antiair incendiaries - basically a shell that burst open at a certain range filled with hundreds of small incendiary fragments.

They were generally ineffective, and as you say were bad on the guns. Some people speculate it was improper storage of this type of ammo that made Mutsu go boom.

quote:

Source - NavWeaps (http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNJAP_18-45_t94.htm)

As were most Japanese warships, the Yamato and Musashi were provided with a special anti-aircraft incendiary shrapnel shell officially designated as "3 Shiki tsûjôdan" (Common Type 3) and supposedly nicknamed "The Beehive," but this could be apocryphal. This round weighed 2,998 lbs. (1,360 kg) and was filled with 900 incendiary-filled tubes. A time fuze was used to set the desired bursting distance, usually about 1,000 meters (1,100 yards) after leaving the muzzle. These projectiles were designed to expel the incendiary tubes in a 20 degree cone extending towards the oncoming aircraft with the projectile shell itself being destroyed by a bursting charge to increase the quantity of steel splinters. The incendiary tubes ignited about half a second later and burned for five seconds at 3,000 degrees C, producing a flame approximately 5 meters (16 feet) long.

The concept behind these shells was that the ship would put up a barrage pattern through which an attacking aircraft would have to fly. However, these shells were considered by US Navy pilots to be more of a visual spectacular than an effective AA weapon.

< Message edited by JuanG -- 10/15/2009 4:58:51 AM >

Coral Sea HDM
AltWNT Scenarios

(in reply to Bradley7735)
Post #: 9
RE: Naval Guns W/"*" Next To Range - 10/16/2009 12:57:53 AM   
NAVMAN

FOW:
Thx for the info. BTW, is there a sort of "compendium" which has info pertaining
to items like this which are shown in the manual but not explained?

(in reply to JuanG)
Post #: 10
RE: Naval Guns W/"*" Next To Range - 10/16/2009 3:44:30 AM   
Jonathan Pollard

The movie "Otoko Tachi No Yamato" shows the Yamato's main guns being used in an AA role.  You can see that at around the 0:40 point of this excerpt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUl1mAjTTb0&feature=related

"We could blow up a US ship in Guantanamo Bay and blame Cuba." "We could develop a Communist Cuban terror campaign in the Miami area, in other Florida cities and even Washington." - US Joint Chiefs of Staff, Operation Northwoods, 1962

(in reply to NAVMAN)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Naval Guns W/"*" Next To Range Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI