which game

Crown of Glory: Europe in the Age of Napoleon, the player controls one of the crowned potentates of Europe in the Napoleonic Era, wielding authority over his nation's military strategy, economic development, diplomatic relations, and social organization. It is a very thorough simulation of the entire Napoleonic Era - spanning from 1799 to 1820, from the dockyards in Lisbon to the frozen wastes of Holy Mother Russia.

Moderators: Gil R., ericbabe

Gem35

which game

Post by Gem35 »

Was curious to know which game do most of you you start with? Has anyone tried the balanced game of 1820?
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
[center]Banner By Feurer Krieg[/center]
Malagant

RE: which game

Post by Malagant »

I enjoy 1792, 15 years, most glory wins.
"La Garde meurt, elle ne se rend pas!"
Reg Pither

Post by Reg Pither »

1796, 15 years, most glory wins.

(I'd really like a full 1792-1815 game...[;)])
carnifex

Post by carnifex »

1805, default length, most glory wins
TheRockSal

Post by TheRockSal »

All I've been playing is the balanced scenario...but, I've started the regular campaign as I have PBEM moves to make in that one.
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

do any of you keep playing beyond the default length?
It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

[center]Image[/center]
ahauschild

Post by ahauschild »

I have tried all scenarios, but consistendly set it to 15 years with highest glory wins.
I ussuly play on normal settings.

I only play with plus 1 power when doing the Turks, as they really start out with a horrible army and it takes them a good while to get started.
<< Let wars be only in our mind and imagination, for nobody should face this horror areal >>
Latour_Maubourg

Post by Latour_Maubourg »

1796, 15 years, highest glory wins.

L-M
"What have you got to cry about man, you have one less boot to polish in future." L-M's reaction at his distressed valet after his leg was shot off at Leipzig.
Naomi

Post by Naomi »

ORIGINAL: Gem35

Was curious to know which game do most of you you start with? Has anyone tried the balanced game of 1820?
Which is your favourite choice?
Gem35

Post by Gem35 »

I havent been playing long enough to have a favorite, really. I usualy play the 1792 as Sweden so far, learning how the game "works"

[center]Image[/center]
Ralegh

Post by Ralegh »

Gee - I normally play the standard 1805 campaign with the default victory condition (first to a 1000).
HTH
Steve/Ralegh
mogami

Post by mogami »

Hi, I like the 1792 scenario 15 years most glory.
The 1805 standard would only appeal to me if all the players were human controll. How hard can it be for France to score 1000 points against a divided Europe? Humans would know to band together and crush France. In 1805 the French have been beating up everyone for 13 years and are at their peak.
However I think I can win any scenario with any country in a game against only the AI.
Shorter length would be more difficult then longer length.
Historically Turkey minded its own business. And France defeated Spain Austria and Prussia. (but they came back) In the end it was a dog pile on France by all but Turkey.
I don't think I could win against the same dog pile with human control.

Human Control Allainces
Britain with Russia might be able to win if the other 6 did not cooperate because Russia and Britain can defeat Sweden and (or) Prussia quite early. The combined Austrian French Army with those high (by comparison) training levels could make it tough. But the Anglo/Russian should maintain sea control around England. (to prevent invasion) If Spain or Turkey joins this Alliance it wins (it will be a long fight)
Britain without Russia needs at least 3 partners to make up an Alliance that can't lose. but these partners also need
1. To combine to surround France
2. Be difficult for themselves to be surrounded. (means Prussia and Austria are bad choices) A French Russian Alliance will never lose (it might not win, by this I mean the final glory will be close if the other 6 stick together (well actually 5 gang up and score points on the nation not part of this alliance that is not France or Russia)

It is silly for Prussia and Austria not to Ally. And their success will be tied to the status of Russia. They want Russia neutral or aligned with them. With a hostile Russia they better make peace with France. (They will be crushed by the French-Russian Alliance and there is little the others can do about it)

All this only applies to scenarios that start before 1805 and run 15 years with highest glory for victory.
The victory system needs to be modifed to reflect Alliance scores. (the real victory conditions of actual war between France and rest of Europe)
I think a player should be allowed to be part of a winning "Team"
Allied nations show their score but the Alliance total is used for Rankings.
A solo nation to win would need to outscore Alliances.
Only a maniac (who is not also me) would consider taking Prussia in the 1805 5year 1000 glory scenario. (I mean what year did France force Prussia to surrender and who is going to prevent a repeat) (again only in games where all players (or at least France) are human controlled)

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
2gaulle

Post by 2gaulle »

1792, 15 years, highest glory wins, dificult level, all nation
Svend Karlson

Post by Svend Karlson »

Normal campaign, 15 years most glory. After playing a decent portion of two campaigns I'll bump up the difficulty from the default from now on.

Prefer not to play the superpowers (France/Britain). Winning feels like bullying & losing would be an embarrassment [:'(]

Return to “Crown of Glory”