How to shadow a bogie

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Phoenix100

How to shadow a bogie

Post by Phoenix100 »

Is there any way - not using scripts and so on - to set up a mission to shadow a unit? (Like an intercept, but without firing at the unit). Playing a scenario where I cannot fire until an event triggers, so I want to shadow an inbound Tu95, so I can threaten it off. Not even sure if the AI would notice or respond to that kind of behaviour.

Seems quite common in real life that Russian assets are shadowed by scrambled fighters as they waltz down the Baltic, for example, skirting various national airspace limits.

Anyone help? Thanks.
DWReese

RE: How to shadow a bogie

Post by DWReese »

I do know what you are suggesting although I have never done it before.

Two thoughts: Have you tried assigning a unit to the Intercept Mission but giving it a HOLD status in its own Doctrine/WRA menu? This should send the unit to intercept, but not fire. I haven't done this, but it might work.

Also, I have seen some scenario developers create situations where a new side is created that is friendly with other units from the same side but UNFRIENDLY (instead of hostile) to the enemy. This should keep the unit from attacking (because they are merely UNFRIENDLY).

There are probably some other solutions, but these two just came to me so, absent any other suggestions, I thought that I would pass them along.

Doug

Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Thanks Doug. Simple. Of course. Suggestion 1 - the intercept with HOLD doctrine - seems to work ok, so far. You have to manually designate the bogie unfriendly, at least, to be able to get it into the target list. Thanks.
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

If the goal of the scenario is to represent a pre-hostilities phase then it might make sense to designate your side as having an "Unfriendly" posture towards the enemy in which case they'll shadow them automatically.
Cik

Post by Cik »

also keep in mind you can use exclusion zones to flag intruders to your airspace(s) as unfriendly, at which point any patrols with the contact in their prosecution zone will go follow them around.

Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

The 'Unfriendly' posture is set up to do exactly this [:)]
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

Thanks all. Got that working fine now.
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

While the 'Unfriendly' posture is of course built for this, it never occurred to me to use 'Weapons Hold', that's a damn good idea.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”