THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J)

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rio Bravo

RE: THE WAR COLLEGE-Rio Bravo (A) v. El Lobo (J)

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: GetAssista
ORIGINAL: Rio Bravo
4.) The Allies didn't lose a single Walrus or Seagull today.
Congratulation on the 4th! That's a rare feat and a milestone any AFB should be proud of! :)

More seriously, congratulations on the overwhelming success of a well executed invasion. It significantly turns the tide of war. Unfortunately, el lobo was unexpectedly thin on the ground given the importance of Marianas so we, the spectators, will be left without the excitement of prolonged fighting for the beaches. Oh, but there will be other fights to spectate, I guess

GetAssista-

Thank you.

I made a few mistakes, but overall things sure went much better than I had anticipated, well so far.

The transports still need to finish unloading supply before I can get the hell out of Dodge and back to the safety of Pearl to begin preparations to invade Formosa.

Best Regards,

-Terry
"No one throws me my own guns and tells me to run. No one."

-Bret (James Coburn); The Magnificent Seven
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

If you haven't paid close attention to conversions you have likely overlooked more than just AKVs. Lots of xAKs can convert to AKEs, AEs and AGs. On first turn I examine EVERY ship and assign upgrades. Lots of early reinforcements can also upgrade. It's important to examine each one as it arrives.

Hans-

Well damn, Hans.

I did upgrade aircraft.

*chuckling*

There are so many aspects to this war to get one's head around, to not forget, to have the time to do properly.

Thanks for the information and I will try to find some time during the next week or so to start snooping some xAKs to convert to xAKVs, AKEs, and AGs.

Best Regards,

-Terry

It's possible to go overboard on the AGs, but personally I convert every AKV & AKE & AE I can find. They can still haul supplies (at a not too severely reduced capacity) if you need them. I tend to protect the AEs though, because they can rearm your carriers at sea in 1945.
"I am Alfred"
Ian R

Post by Ian R »

Would you mind trying left clicking the "today" column heading?

I forget whether groups destroyed on ground show as ground or ops losses. Groups sunk on ship are counted as ops losses IIRC. Maybe over-ruining airbases is the same.

If so, looks like you over-ran a few zero groups on the ground yesterday, and/or a carrier went down.

At the risk of sounding overly aggressive, I think you just gave him a 6 joint BOHICA, and its worth having a crack at the KB before you retire.

"I am Alfred"
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

Ian-

Believe me, I have been patient for 18 months chomping at the bit to kick El Lobo's ass somewhere, anywhere, considering he trashed me all over the map while I conserved assets for Operation Land Shark and Operation Sea Shark.

As much as I am tempted to go after his carriers, I can't right now for the following reasons:

1.) I left my bombers at Pearl to make room for more fighters to be able to provide more CAP and LRCAP for 972 ships. After loading 427 Wildcats and 271 Hellcats, I only had carrier space available to load 134 Dauntless Dive Bombers.

2.) I still have hundreds of Amphibious Transports unloading supply at all four bases. The Carriers need to stay sitting one hex due east of Rota to provide cover for the transports.

3.) Once again I need to conserve assets (yes, ships too) as I plan to invade Formosa hopefully sometime during the month of September, 1943 (it is going to depend on how much damage El Lobo does to the Invasion Fleet before we get out of Dodge).

Formosa is important to the Allied Grand Strategy for the following reasons:

1.) A Supply Hub to get supply to China to assist Operation Land Shark (i.e., the troops in Burma that will head into China as soon as Burma is under control).

2.) A Staging area for the Marines that will be invading the southern coast of China to assist the Operation Land Shark Forces in Burma to free the Chinese trapped at Chengtu and Chungking, and drive into Manchukuo in an effort to reduce the Japanese Garrison below 8,000 to hopefully trigger the activation of the Russians, and onwards to Fusan to bomb Tokyo.

3.) Formosa and the Marianas Islands are the Lynch Pins for the planned Allied Naval Blockade to deny Japanese Shipping from the west and south into the China and Philippines Seas thereby strangling Japan Proper of Resources, Oil, and troops (more on the Naval Blockade will be posted sometime during the next few weeks).

It is simply just more important to get as many ships back to Pearl as possible to prepare for the invasion of Formosa.

Hey, thank you for the "left-click" information on the Aircraft Loss Screen; see photo below:

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachments
Ian.jpg
Ian.jpg (221.42 KiB) Viewed 44 times

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]June 24, 1943[/center]

Opening Comments

1.) The KB sitting just north of Pagan, Marianas Islands, did not launch any airstrikes today.

2.) Allied engineers have been busy and have built the Fort Level to 1 at Saipan, Tinian, Rota, and Guam.

Synopsis of Combat Events for Today

1.) That sneaky rat bastard El Lobo mined Guam and one of Captain Haggard's Mine Sweepers (YMS 113) hit a mine and sunk.

2.) The following previously damaged Allied ships sunk at sea today: AM Finch, DMS Elliot, xAK Andrea Luckenbach, xAK Durenda, xAK Hawaiian, and xAK Hermion.

3.) Captain Haggard's submarines converged on El Lobo's Warships near Pagan with the following success: SS Bowfish put a torpedo into CV Kaga, SS Flying Fish put a torpedo into CVL Ryujo, and SS Cisco put 2 torpedoes into BB Kirishima.

4.) The Allies captured Ramree Island.

Attached as a link below is the entire January 24, 1943 Combat Report.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachments
combatreport.txt
(38.9 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

Good work!...I wouldn't have thought there was a snowballs chance in hell that you could sneak that freight train into the middle of what is typically his main line of defense. He really didn't seem to have much there. As discussed, I would get LBA support into the newly captured islands and let him bang KB's head on some land based air for awhile while your subs perhaps whittle around the edges. Strategically what next? I would jump straight in bed with your unsuspecting foe....I bet if he had Marianas that poorly prepped that Home Islands even less prepped. Whatcha thinkin??

pontiouspilot-

Captain Haggard's submarines cleared a path from Pearl to Wake and all Allied aircraft except CAP stood down so as not to give El Lobo any hints the Invasion Fleet was launched toward the Marianas Islands.

The next Objective is Formosa. Hopefully during the month of September, 1943. I am gambling again that El Lobo will not suspect that the Allies would invade Formosa during the fall of 1943.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]June 25, 1943

Four Southern Marianas Islands

Status Report
[/center]

1.) All Allied troops have unloaded.

2.) Tinian and Rota have been cleared of all Japanese troops.

3.) The Allies will attack Saipan and Guam today.

4.) 137 Allied Amphibious Assault transports continue to unload supply an fuel as follows:

-Saipan: 32 ships unloading 1,752 fuel.
-Tinian: 4 ships unloading 603 fuel.
-Rota: 18 ships unloading 15,603 supply and 1,494 fuel.
-Guam: 83 ships unloading 17,575 fuel.

5.) The remaining damaged and undamaged Amphibious Assault transports have joined the Operation Sea Shark Invasion Fleet one hex due east of Rota.

6.) The four captured Allied Bases statistics are as follows:

-Saipan: 1,884 AV, Port Level 3(3%); Airfield Level 5(2%); Fort Level 1(50%); 323,766 Supply; and 8,391 Fuel.
-Tinian: 777 AV; Port Level 2(7%); Airfield Level 3(23%); Fort Level 1(98%); 314,104 Supply; and 1,355 Fuel.
-Rota: 649 AV; Port Level 1(7%); Airfield Level 0(42%); Fort Level 1(68%); 290,033 Supply; and O Fuel.
Guam: 2,969 AV; Port Level 2(12%); Airfield Level 5(6%); Fort Level 1 (78%); 580,931 Supply; and 7,990 Fuel.

7.) Captain Haggard's PT Boats leave Wake Island today bound for Allied controlled Marianas Island bases.

8.) Captain Haggard's submarines are swarming Japanese Warships like a crazed hive of irritated Killer Bees (see map below).

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachments
CaptainHaggard.jpg
CaptainHaggard.jpg (198.28 KiB) Viewed 44 times

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]June 25, 1943[/center]

Opening Comments

1.) The Fort Level is now 2 on Saipan, Tinian, Rota, and Guam.

2.) Although the June 24, 1943 Combat Report indicated that the Allied deliberate Attack was successful and that the Allies had captured Ramree Island, the Red Sun still flies high over the island.

Synopsis of Combat Events for Today

1.) Combat is winding down at the Marianas Islands, although El Lobo's ASW ships did put some hits on four of Captain Haggard's submarines.

2.) Of course, El Lobo bombed Chengtu and Chungking once again. The Chungking airport has now passed Death Valley, California as being the lowest land point in the world with Chengtu moving up to third place, a tenth of an inch behind Death Valley.

3.) The Allies Deliberately attacked just south of Meiktila in an effort to shove the Japanese out of the plains to block Japan troops from retreating south to Rangoon.

4.) Allied artillery bombarded Meiktila.

Attached below as a link is the entire June 25, 1943 Combat Report.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachments
combatreport.txt
(21.84 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]Burma

June 26, 1943
[/center]

In the North, The Allies continue to apply pressure forcing the Japanese to retreat South toward Pegu and Rangoon.

In the West, though substantially outnumbered and fatigued, the Japanese remain stubborn at Ramree Island.

In the East, 16 Japanese units are moving toward Paoshan, China. The Allies have blocked the Japanese advance immediately due West of Paoshan and two U. S. Army Infantry Divisions are in route to join the Allied blocking-force of 502 AV.

In the South, the Allies are moving into position to block the Japanese from reaching Pegu and Rangoon in an effort to destroy as many Japanese units in Burma as possible.

Please see may of Burma below.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachments
Burma.jpg
Burma.jpg (548.32 KiB) Viewed 44 times

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]June 26, 1943[/center]

Highlights of the Day

1.) Due East of Rota, SS I-AO takes three hits as it puts 2 torpedoes into CVE Prince William, setting it ablaze with heavy fires and heavy damage.

2.) Near Pagan (hex 110,90), SS Tullibee puts two torpedoes into BB Hiei causing heavy damage.

Synopsis of Other Combat Action for Today

1.) Near Pagan, DD Kosugiri hits SS Greyback twice.

2.) Near Almagan, DDs Hayashimo and Isokaze hit SS Scorpion twice and DD Amattsukazie hits SS Gudgeon once.

3.) Of course, El Lobo ordered his Bombers to bomb Chengtu and Chungking with increasing success as to number of Chinese casualties.

4.) The Allies bombard Meiktila.

5.) The Allies deliberately attack Guam, Taung Gyi, and Ramree Island.

Attached as a link below is the entire June 26, 1943 Combat Report.
Attachments
combatreport.txt
(24.78 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]June 27, 1943[/center]

Highlight of the Day

Captain Haggard puts a torpedo into a third Japanese Battleship.

Synopsis of Combat Action for Today

1.) El Lobo's ASW ships hit three of Captain Haggard's submarines:

-Near Iwo Jima: DD Tadeshiwa hits SS 0-23 4 times.
-Near Anatahan: DD Amatsukaze hits Flying Fish once.
-Near Saipan: DD Tokitsukaze hits SS Truant once.

2.) A powerful El Lobo SCTF sinks five of Captain Haggard's PT Boats near Saipan:

-PT Boats 63,65, 104,105, and 106.

3.) Captain Haggard's Submarine SS 024 puts a torpedo into El Lobo's SC CHa-23 causing heavy damage near Agrihan.

4.) Captain Haggard's Submarine SS 023 puts a torpedo into El Lobo's BB Yamashiro near Iwo Jima.

5.) El Lobo bombs Chungking, Chihkiang, and near Magwe.

6.) El Lobo deliberately attacks near Kienko and near Tsyung.

7.) The Allies bombard Meiktila for the second straight day.

Attached as a link below is the entire Combat Report for June 27, 1943.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachments
combatreport.txt
(20.63 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

CaptHaggard

Post by CaptHaggard »

Gentlemen—

Search shows four enemy CV in the gap between the Northern Marianas island group and the Southern island group. I can't imagine he'll stay there, but then again, I didn't imagine he be at that position in the first place.

Might be an interesting turn. In addition to the two SS currently in the same hex, 15-20 SS are crossing through that hex from east and west.

Hag
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]June 28, 1943[/center]

Highlights of the Day

1.) Operation Sea Shark has concluded. The Invasion Fleet Task Forces, in one group, has left the Marianas Islands and are proceeding slowly at 12 knots to Pearl Harbor. A Task Force of two xAKs with Float Damage have been left behind at Guam. A Task Force consisting of a mixture of one Destroyer and 24 Transports is trailing the Invasion Fleet at a pace of 6 knots and is heading to Wake Island. Two other Task Forces consisting of only BB Arizona and BB Colorado; bot seriously damaged, are also trailing behind the Invasion Fleet at an even slower pace of 2 knots and are also heading to Wake Island.

2.) Allied engineers have been busy and are building the following basis at the Marianas Islands at a fast pace:

-Saipan: Port Level 3; Air Level 5; Fort Level 3; 313,401 Supply; 13,209 Fuel; and 1,914 AV.
-Tinian: Port Level 2; Air Level 4; Fort Level 3; 292,062 Supply; 1,862 Fuel; 783 AV.
-Rota: Port Level 1; Air Level 1; Fort Level 2; 277,917 Supply; 1,388 Fuel; and 652 AV.
-Guam: Port Level 2; Air Level 5; Fort Level 3; 542,643 Supply; 25,157 Fuel; and 3,047 AV.

3.) In Burma, the British Flag is flying over Ramree Island; the British have captured Ramree Island.

1.) Captain Haggard's DE Arrow and Electra hit El Lobo's SS I-19 Submarine three times near Port Kembla (hex 90,171).

2.) El Lobo bombs Chengtu, Chungking, Chihkiang (hex 77,50), and near Magwe (hex 58,48).

3.) Allied Liberators bomb Paoshan and experience zero losses and inflict zero casualties. That sucked.

4.) El Lobo deliberately attacks near Chihkiang (hex 77,50).

5.) Allies bombard Meiktila for the third day in a row in an effort to slow down El Lobo's retreat south toward Pegu and Rangoon.

Attached below as a link is the entire June 28, 1943 Combat Report.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachments
combatreport.txt
(15.51 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]June 29, 1943[/center]

Highlight of the Day

The Allies capture Meiktila, Burma.

Synopsis of Combat Action Today

1.) On the high seas:

-El Lobo's CH 24 and CH 44 hits Captain Haggard's Submarine SS Baloa twice near Pagan (hex 108,87).
-Captain Haggard's AM Dash and AM Direct hits El Lobo's S I-25 three times near Truk (hex 117,100).
-Captain Haggard's DMS Long and DMS Perry hits El Lobo's Submarine S I-25 once near Truk (hex 117,100).

2.) El Lobo bombs Chengtu, Chungking, and Near Marcus Island (hex 120,95).

3.) The Allies deliberately attack Meiktila inflicting 7,906 Japanese casualties and destroying 57 Japanese aircraft.

Attached below as a link is the entire Combat Report for June 29, 1943.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachments
combatreport.txt
(16.7 KiB) Downloaded 5 times

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]June 30, 1943[/center]

Highlight of the Day

El Lobo's submarine zeros in on the heavily damaged BB Arizona traveling at 2 knots per day and puts three torpedoes into her causing several explosions and sending the Arizona to the bottom of the Pacific Ocean.

1.) Captain Haggard's DE Electra and DE Arrow gang-up on El Lobo's SS I-18 submarine hitting it 30 times and causing it to sink off the coast of Newcastle.

2.) El Lobo's SS I-172 submarine buries BB Arizona near the Marianas Islands.

3.) El Lobo's bombers hammer Chengtu and Chungking.

4.) El Lobo deliberately attacks near Tsuyung (hex 68,45) and near Kienko (hex 79,39). Both attacks fail.

5.) The Allies attack the remnants of Japanese troops on Ramree Island, but fail to destroy all of them.

6.) Allied artillery pounds Japanese troops at Meiktila inflicting 1,506 casualties, destroying 40 squads and guns, and disabling 105 squads and guns.

Attached below as a link is the entire Combat Report for June 30, 1943.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachments
combatreport.txt
(14.86 KiB) Downloaded 4 times

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]By the Numbers

June 30, 1943[/center]

Attachments
BytheNumbers.jpg
BytheNumbers.jpg (230.41 KiB) Viewed 48 times

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]Strategic Map

June 30, 1943
[/center]

Attachments
StrategicMap.jpg
StrategicMap.jpg (291.39 KiB) Viewed 48 times

Bif1961

Post by Bif1961 »

In Central Pac you are a year ahead of schedule another fine example of history can be changed dramatically.
Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

ORIGINAL: Bif1961

In Central Pac you are a year ahead of schedule another fine example of history can be changed dramatically.

Bifi-

Looks sort of lonesome way out there by themselves.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Rio Bravo

Post by Rio Bravo »

[center]July 1, 1943[/center]

Highlight of the Day

The Allies moved into the jungle just southwest of Toungoo in an attempt to block the Japanese retreat to Pegu and Rangoon. Artillery units are lagging behind but should arrive either tomorrow or the next day.

1.) El Lobo bombs Chengtu, Chungking, and near Chihkiang. My brave Chinese are now 50% shrapnel.

2.) El Lobo deliberately attacks near Kienko. The attack fails once again.

3.) Allied artillery at Meiktila pummels Japanese troops. Three Japanese Infantry Divisions have been reduced to the strength of less than one Infantry Division.

Attached below as a link is the entire Combat Report for July 1, 1943.

Best Regards,

-Terry

Attachments
combatreport.txt
(4.93 KiB) Downloaded 3 times

Return to “After Action Reports”