Smaller scenario

Post here to meet players for PBEM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

AW1Steve

Smaller scenario

Post by AW1Steve »

Looking for an opponent for one of the smaller scenarios....NO grand campaign. Will play either side. Refferences available upon request. [:)]
AW1Steve

RE: Smaller scenario

Post by AW1Steve »

A further update, I don't care to play on Beta or unofficial patches. I'm currently using "i" , which as I understand is the current official update. I'd also like minimum house rules. For small scenarios you just don't need very many. And I am willing to take on "newbies", but I'd appreciate some assurances that they won't bolt after the 1st turn. I'm happy to teach , be a student , or explore "alternate theories" (IE... "I'd like to see what would happen if the Axis were to do this instead". ) But please no long scenarios , as I'll be moving in 5 to 9 months, and don't want the poetential disrupment of a long term campaign (like it's 8 weeks for me to establish internet hook up, etc).[:)]
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

Hi, which scenario were you thinking about ?  I've only done Coral Sea twice in PBEM, but I'm eager to give another try to PBEM - but with my job, I can't be sure I can plan long term, so short scenario is best for me.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Any shorter scenario. In other words, no Grand campaign. I've done PBEM's in Thousand Mile war,Coral Sea and Guadacanal. And as I said, I'm moving sometime this summer and don't want to hang up an opponent with my moving problems (like being on the road, in a hotel, or not being able to reconnect the internet). So if we can play it in 5 months, I'm for it.

So Ambassador, what's your pleasure? [:)]
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

I'm tempted by Guadalcanal, if we can manage to squeeze two turns some days (which would be possible on most weekend days for me).  I have a marked preference for the Allies, but I'm not opposed to play Japan if you prefer.  Otherwise, Thousand Miles and Operation Buccaneer seem interesting and short enough, but I don't like Marianas.

Regarding house rules, I have no particular pet peeves, but I'm open to suggestions.  I suppose one of them would be about 4E bombers on naval strike's minimum altitude, although on a short scenario there's not much time to increase NavBomb skill enough.

I can assure one turn a day most days, probably two : it shouldn't take more than half an hour to issue orders, I can thus do it in the morning and in the evening (GMT+1).
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

All sounds good. I'll play any side , any campaign. I'm currently playing one PBEM as the axis , and just finished another as same. (Both Guadacanal). I've never had the problem everyone describes with 4 engines. The problem I have with the Guadacanal scenario is that in WITP vanilla , you could send off a damaged ship to a shipyard (Like in Japan). Here you can't. The best you can do is send it to Truk, and the B-17s doing port attacks sink every damaged ship! There is no safe place to send them, while the allies get a small shipyard.

In any event, I say again, I'll play any small scenario as either sides. I perfer to NOT do any exotic betas,delta's, Tangos, mods,odds or even sods. Basically I like to play the latest full update , which if I understand correctly is "i".

I can sometimes do several turns a day on WEEKDAYS (on breaks between class asignments). Weekends find me usually occupied and unable to do much more than 1 turn a day.

As I said in an earlier post , I'm happy to provide referrences (maybe a forumite or two might put in a good word for me. [:D]
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

No need for references, I've followed the forums for some time now.[;)]

Ok for a vanilla, latest official update.

For your concerns regarding repairs at Truk, here's what I'd propose :
- adding a small repair yard at Truk
- I engage not to repeatedly hit Truk with port strikes (so long as you won't empty Truk of all defences)

Or, as you've been playing Guad' twice as the Japs, I propose a change and let's play Operation Buccaneer.  I've sometimes tried to do such an operation during grand campaigns against the AI, and wonder how I'd fare against a human player.  It's an Andy Mac scenario, so it's as much official as it could be.  Have a look on it, and tell me if it suits you, because it also lacks repair shipyards for Japan (though we might just mod it and add a small repair yard if it's a concern for you).
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

No need for references, I've followed the forums for some time now.[;)]

Ok for a vanilla, latest official update.

For your concerns regarding repairs at Truk, here's what I'd propose :
- adding a small repair yard at Truk
- I engage not to repeatedly hit Truk with port strikes (so long as you won't empty Truk of all defences)

Or, as you've been playing Guad' twice as the Japs, I propose a change and let's play Operation Buccaneer.  I've sometimes tried to do such an operation during grand campaigns against the AI, and wonder how I'd fare against a human player.  It's an Andy Mac scenario, so it's as much official as it could be.  Have a look on it, and tell me if it suits you, because it also lacks repair shipyards for Japan (though we might just mod it and add a small repair yard if it's a concern for you).

I've never played Buccaneer. A new way to get my head handed to me! [:D] Which side do you want? And I like the idea of designating the furthest (or closest point to the edge of the map) as a Sanctuary.
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

I'd prefer the Allies.

As sanctuaries, I propose:
- Colombo for the RN (there's already a repair shipyard)
- but for the IJN, it's more difficult, all the bases are close. Maybe we could extend the map further south, to include Georgetown or Singapore (would probably require deleting some intervening bases and other items).
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

OK. Can we just set it so I can send my ships off map?
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

I'd agree, but I don't know how to implement that in the editor.
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

Then unless we can do a shipyard , let's just declare no port bombings for one port.
Ambassador

Post by Ambassador »

Adding a shipyard is simple, I can do it quickly.  I may even put it in a new base, further down Malaya (out of the fighting arena), in a few minutes' worth of work on the editor.  Send me your email by PM, I'll send the files.
xnavytc

Post by xnavytc »

Hi Steve, glad to see your still here, been busy getting my new job settled, etc. Glad to see your going to be playing some more. Would love to play Guadacanal, if you get some free time, 2 turn days on the weekend, 1 turn a night during the week, now that my rl schedule is finally fixed to days. Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and thanks for everything.

Tran (ET1(SS)
TC ET1(SS)
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

ORIGINAL: xnavytc

Hi Steve, glad to see your still here, been busy getting my new job settled, etc. Glad to see your going to be playing some more. Would love to play Guadacanal, if you get some free time, 2 turn days on the weekend, 1 turn a night during the week, now that my rl schedule is finally fixed to days. Anyway, just wanted to say hi, and thanks for everything.

Tran (ET1(SS)

Sure! I can usually manage several turns a day weekdays , but alas , I can usually only manage one on a weekend day. Same scenario? Which side?

Return to “Opponents Wanted”