Inglourious Basterds-new "WW2" movie

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

RHoenig

RE: Inglourious Basterds-new "WW2" movie

Post by RHoenig »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
ORIGINAL: RHoenig

Kelly´s Heroes?
Kelly´s Heroes?

Are you saying, you actually think Kelly´s Heroes to be a BAD movie?
You gotta be kidding me!

It is hillarious! [:D]

PS.: I especially like when the scouts on the churche tower say the germans are up to something, ´cause the Tigers have started their engines and the mad tanker, whose name escapes me right now, calms them down stating it is SPO for them to run their engines every few hours to keep them warm and ready to go.

Now here you have someone doing his homework. I´d wish something like this could be said for some newer so called "warmovies"

I also like a Tiger, that actually looks like a Tiger [:)]

Lauding Kelly's Heroes for one historical accuracy amidst a sea of inaccuracy and distortion would be like praising Phyllis Diller's looks because she had a nice belly button.

Yeah, I know, probably shouldn´t have put that thing about the Tiger in (I am just so unsued to things like this, damn Hollywood) - because historcal accuracy is not what it is about.

The movie is simply hillarious, like Hogans Heroes, Baa baa black sheep or MASH.

Are you looking for historical accuracy there? Of course not!

"Tell the King: After the battle my head is at his disposal, during the battle he may allow me to use it!
GenLt. Seydlitz to Frederik the Great after disobeying an order to attack

R. Hoenig, Germany
spellir74

Post by spellir74 »

Kelly´s Heroes?
Kelly´s Heroes?

Are you saying, you actually think Kelly´s Heroes to be a BAD movie?
You gotta be kidding me!

It is hillarious! [:D]

PS.: I especially like when the scouts on the churche tower say the germans are up to something, ´cause the Tigers have started their engines and the mad tanker, whose name escapes me right now, calms them down stating it is SPO for them to run their engines every few hours to keep them warm and ready to go.

Now here you have someone doing his homework. I´d wish something like this could be said for some newer so called "warmovies"

I also like a Tiger, that actually looks like a Tiger [:)]

Lauding Kelly's Heroes for one historical accuracy amidst a sea of inaccuracy and distortion would be like praising Phyllis Diller's looks because she had a nice belly button.

Yeah, I know, probably shouldn´t have put that thing about the Tiger in (I am just so unsued to things like this, damn Hollywood) - because historcal accuracy is not what it is about.

The movie is simply hillarious, like Hogans Heroes, Baa baa black sheep or MASH.

Are you looking for historical accuracy there? Of course not!

KH is more accurate than most. The reason is it was made in Europe where the hardware still existed.

Loaded with stars too.

'Oddball' was the character. "woof woof". Sutherland.
test

marky

Post by marky »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

It may "fail" as a "conventional" war movie, but that wasn't what he was trying to make, now was it? That's like saying Pearl Harbor and Gone with the Wind fail as conventional war movies...[8|]

*GASP*

the plague movie!

he has committed the ultimate sin!!!!

he must pay the ultimate price!!![:D]

Gone with the wind is good though xD

Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

If you enjoyed Kelly's Heroes, be sure to see Cold Mountain and Dances with Wolves, two other movies that succeed in shoe-horning modern attitudes and agendas into historic settings where they don't belong.

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Barthheart

Post by Barthheart »

If you enjoyed Kelly's Heroes, be sure to see Cold Mountain and Dances with Wolves, two other movies that succeed in shoe-horning modern attitudes and agendas into historic settings where they don't belong.

Oh come on! Kelly's Heroes is a funny movie and well made too. Why read too much into it... just enjoy the ride!

The other two you mention are just crap though...[:D]

Oh and I plan on seeing Inglourious Basterds, should be fun.[8D]
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"
spellir74

Post by spellir74 »

Dances with Wolves could have been written in the early 19th century [by Scott!]. It was a classic "romanticist" tale where the noble savage hill people are better than the cosmopolitan lying fops of civilization's caste structure. Other examples: Last of the Mohicans, Rob Roy and the later Braveheart. (Also the yet to be written "[Operation `Liberate {ie capitalize/feminize/civilize} the 3rd world enturbaned]" --where the good guys and bad guys should be obvious given the template.)

Tales like that helped lead to first Celtic romance in the early 'PreRaphelite' 19th century then to Teutonic Romanticism in the mid [eg Wagner's vikings]. And then Nationalism in the late 19th which led to WWII. (So that accurately ties up to our matrix wargame motif here LOL.)

A Grand irony too since some of the main early proponents of romanticism were Jewish fop philosophers [Mendelssohn: search 'zionism' which is Jewish anti-fop/anti-cosmopolitan romanticism (search Himmler!)].

An "irony grande" [god loves his children so] and "perfect circle".

You've allowed your own modern anti hippy and anti 'peace nick do gooder' politics to cloud your understanding of your own Western history.

----------
Kelly's Heroes did have hippies in it and a cavalier --ie un military-- '60s vibe (along with spaghetti western motifs --you know what kitch is right?). The story attempts going around that by having Kelly be a reactionary venting his own unfair busting; and oddball et al is a 'Beat' [continuation of red diaper 'fellow travelers', leading to the suburbanite whitebred-conformist hippies]. I believe... the platoon --led by a surviving sergeant [Sevalas]-- was on a 3day [though where was the Company com and staff?!]; the tankers were section8 furlough; Crapgame [Rickles] had a little too much access [where did they get the HTs? Were they Arm'dInf?]; and the corp command Bridge Engineers go AWOL a little too easy.

Other than that, nice tanks!

test

Yamato_Blitzer

Post by Yamato_Blitzer »

I found the movie flawed in one simple way. It can't decide what it wants to be and it seems like it starts to tell a story at a few parts then it's just all over the place. Don't get me wrong it was funny and everything but it really wasn't that great.
Fallschirmjager

Post by Fallschirmjager »

I forgot to come back and post my thoughts.
First I love QT movies so I am probably biased. But I loved the movie. The movie had something of a dirty dozen/Kelly's Hereos feel mixed with 70s B movies.
To view it wanting to see a war movie is probably the wrong way to go about it. The whole idea was to create a over the top revenge movie set in WW2. I viewed it exactly the same way I viewed the Kill Bill movies which are exactly the same genre. This one is just set in WW2.
It was not the quality of the Kill Bill movies but I rank it 3rd among QTs movies.

Anyways the movie was pretty much what I expected. Top of the line dialouge, well played characters (Brad Pitt and the Hans Landa character are outstanding) and short spurts of over the top ultra violence.

And I totaly don't get the comment about the movie being all over the place. This is probably the tightest plot of any QT film. All five chapters drove the story line. Being in chornelogical order helped too [:D]

So to sum it up I greatly enjoyed the movie. But it is totaly NOT a war movie. It is a 70s style over the top revenge drama. And looked at from that perspective it suceeds.
morvwilson

Post by morvwilson »

Well, I took the wife to see this one last night.
With Brad Pitt in the starring role, it was a must see for her.
While I did enjoy it, especially the twisting plot line, I was reminded more of an Italian western than a WW2 flick.
As for historical accuracy, I don't look for it in any hollywood movie.
http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!
jackx

Post by jackx »

I'd agree with the "all over the place" comments - not so much with regard to the plot, but with regard to what type of movie it tries to be.
The melange of styles works well in the opening scene, where the spaghetti western atmosphere and lengthy dialogue go surprisingly well together, but as the movie progresses, the mix of elements made it feel rather disjointed.
Maybe it's also because going in, I didn't know what to expect at all... in the end, the plot and the villain saved it from being merely mediocre and kept it entertaining, but it still felt like they tried too hard, and too many things at once. Personally, I'd preferred if they'd made it a "straight" WW2 spaghetti western with an alternate timeline, cut back on the dialogue, add some more violence... oh, and get a better prosthetic for the swastika-carving, that forehead looked way too flabby and fat.
no truth - no justice
all false belief
blinded by morality
there shall be ... no peace

Return to “General Discussion”