Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Adam Parker

Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community

Post by Adam Parker »

From a wargame company:
The “Tough Economy” Special Offer: Many in the gaming community turn to games as a welcome respite from their day jobs, using money from those day jobs to buy the games.

In these difficult times, some of our loyal customers have lost their day jobs. No jobs and no cash to buy games is a morale buster.

Now, we can’t help in the new job department, but one thing we can do is at least let you continue to enjoy the games while you are hunting. So.....If you have lost your job of late and remain unemployed, if you will provide verification of such status to Tony or the office folks by mail or phone or e-mail, we will send you TWO FREE GAMES (in stock or P500 due out by year’s end) of your choice.

Play them, Enjoy them, and know that we will keep this information private and wish you only the best for a quick recovery.
Erik Rutins

RE: Never In My Life - What a Wargaming Community

Post by Erik Rutins »

Yep, that was GMT Games, if I'm not mistaken. An extremely generous offer, I hope the community rewards them for it.
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

Wow...fantastic.

However, the sceptic in me thinks there are many people who will take advantage of this for their own gains...

Of course...whatever the company (GMT?)...that is not their concern...they've done a very decent thing...be it on the heads of people who abuse it, and may karma reward them.

Sorry...I've just grown to be an old sceptic over the years. I had my time of thinking all was good and good will win...
Alba gu' brath
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

I concur with JudgeDredd.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
sabre1

Post by sabre1 »

GMT: WOW, that is quite the gesture.  I am going to have to see if there is a game I can buy.  No one to play with, but it will offset some of their loss in profits for those who take advantage of such a generous offer. 

JD, I think like you do, but obviously there are nice people in the world, eg. GMT.

BTW JD should have your turn out by the end of this weekend. [:D] 
Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few
simovitch

Post by simovitch »

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Wow...fantastic.

However, the sceptic in me thinks there are many people who will take advantage of this for their own gains...

Of course...whatever the company (GMT?)...that is not their concern...they've done a very decent thing...be it on the heads of people who abuse it, and may karma reward them.

Sorry...I've just grown to be an old sceptic over the years. I had my time of thinking all was good and good will win...

GMT's customer service is based on total trust in their customer base. For instance if you never got your game in the mail, they will usually send you a completely new game, no questions asked. The theory is that we (wargamers) are not of that sort who would take advantage of the system, so let's keep the faith.[:)]
simovitch

JudgeDredd

Post by JudgeDredd »

ORIGINAL: simovitch

Wow...fantastic.

GMT's customer service is based on total trust in their customer base. For instance if you never got your game in the mail, they will usually send you a completely new game, no questions asked. The theory is that we (wargamers) are not of that sort who would take advantage of the system, so let's keep the faith.[:)]
How refreshing to be treated as a valued customer.

This of course, is not directed at Matrix, who I consider a very, very good provider ot good, solid games. There are companies out there (DCS - makers of Black Shark Simulation) who think preventing pirates for a couple of days is enough to chase away over half their potential purchasers (their own poll, as far as I know)...but certainly one they listened to and viewed and completely disregarded in terms of results.

To Matrix, and GMT,I say thank you for trusting me...I know it "may" cost you...but I thank you for the trust you show in me.
Alba gu' brath
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: simovitch

Wow...fantastic.

How refreshing to be treated as a valued customer.

This of course, is not directed at Matrix, who I consider a very, very good provider ot good, solid games. There are companies out there (DCS - makers of Black Shark Simulation) who think preventing pirates for a couple of days is enough to chase away over half their potential purchasers (their own poll, as far as I know)...but certainly one they listened to and viewed and completely disregarded in terms of results.

To Matrix, and GMT,I say thank you for trusting me...I know it "may" cost you...but I thank you for the trust you show in me.

Or think of Star Force! Companies so determined to prevent piracy that they will run the risk of wrecking computers of the decent people in order to get at the pirates.
GJK

Post by GJK »

What kind of proof do they want to show unemployment? Welfare checks, unemployment benefits checks?
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

ORIGINAL: Adam Parker

From a wargame company:
The “Tough Economy” Special Offer: Many in the gaming community turn to games as a welcome respite from their day jobs, using money from those day jobs to buy the games.

In these difficult times, some of our loyal customers have lost their day jobs. No jobs and no cash to buy games is a morale buster.

Now, we can’t help in the new job department, but one thing we can do is at least let you continue to enjoy the games while you are hunting. So.....If you have lost your job of late and remain unemployed, if you will provide verification of such status to Tony or the office folks by mail or phone or e-mail, we will send you TWO FREE GAMES (in stock or P500 due out by year’s end) of your choice.

Play them, Enjoy them, and know that we will keep this information private and wish you only the best for a quick recovery.

Adam,

Do you have a link?

Goblin
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

I'm sure it's ok as they don't make PC games:

www.gmtgames.com

Been a big player in the board wargaming industry since 1990.

My game purchases have predominately been theirs this past couple of years due to a dearth of good PC gaming but in respect of the hosts here, I am currently nose-deep in 2by3's "War Between the States" Civil War rules book [;)]
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

I found their website, but could not find the message you posted. I would like to put the link up at the Depot, since the offer deserves recognition, IMO.

Goblin
Adam Parker

Post by Adam Parker »

Hi Goblin,

On the left there is a 2 part "InsideGMT Fall" flyer.

I think it's in part 2 towards the end.
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Thanks Adam! [:)]

Goblin
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

ORIGINAL: sabre1

GMT: WOW, that is quite the gesture.  I am going to have to see if there is a game I can buy.  No one to play with, but it will offset some of their loss in profits for those who take advantage of such a generous offer. 

JD, I think like you do, but obviously there are nice people in the world, eg. GMT.

BTW JD should have your turn out by the end of this weekend. [:D] 

Yeah, It is a superb gesture on GMT's part, and one I am sorta taking advantage of(not in a bad way). They said ok to my quad bypass as semi-similar to someone losing thier job for an extended time. That said, Monday I am putting an order in for two extra games from them. Companies like that need to be supported to the max.Same with Matrix. They have 4 in the pipeline I want.Hopefully not all 4 get released within a short time of each other.That I wont be able to do....
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
Brigz

Post by Brigz »

The GMT offer doesn't surprise me. They are probably the best wargame company in existence today. They really do cater to their customer base. I've been buying all their Command & Colors: Ancients games. In one of the games I was missing one wooden block. I emailed them and they sent, in just a few days, not just the replacement block but two extra blocks. A small thing, but it just showed how they will go the extra step for their customers. Recently they announced the next two expansions for CC:A and what would be the contents of those products. After several suggestions and complaints on the Consimworld forum, they agreed to the customers suggestions and changed the contents and lowered the asking price of one of those expansion games. They really do care about the gamers and what we want. An excellent company.
“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

It is indeed refreshing in this day of corporate and individual greed and selfishness to see a company make such a caring and considerate offer. I once knew a man who told me, "What this country needs is a good depression." Perhaps the economic situation today is close enough to that "good depression" he spoke of to pull us together.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

The GMT offer doesn't surprise me. They are probably the best wargame company in existence today. They really do cater to their customer base. I've been buying all their Command & Colors: Ancients games. In one of the games I was missing one wooden block. I emailed them and they sent, in just a few days, not just the replacement block but two extra blocks. A small thing, but it just showed how they will go the extra step for their customers. Recently they announced the next two expansions for CC:A and what would be the contents of those products. After several suggestions and complaints on the Consimworld forum, they agreed to the customers suggestions and changed the contents and lowered the asking price of one of those expansion games. They really do care about the gamers and what we want. An excellent company.

I remember years ago getting one of thier Barbarossa games. It was missing one map and had a double of another. They had no problem sending me the right map.No questions asked. Not like many companies making you jump thru hoops just to get something minor fixed.
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

A very fine gesture.

As a partner/Business Advisor to a small game developer, we've made some (beyond simply doing business) gestures over the years. They are largely known only to us.

We did discuss the holiday season of 2008 and doing something that more involved the customer base in the spirit of charity. There were two views expressed in the conversation. View1 - Yes, it is good do whatever we can as individuals or a business to send some human warmth to others. View2 - No, if we do something public that involves our customers, then it will be perceived as a "publicity/sales stunt".

Ideally, a small business (different from large corporates) is just a collection of the egos/souls of but a small handful. So, doing something as a business besides just selling product shouldn't be that bizarre. But then we live in a society where large corporations dominate our World and they are truly soul-less entities.

My question: Can a small business (in this case a game developer/publisher) do something humanitarian in conjuction with their customers and have it be well received or are modern consumers just too cynical of the motives of a business?

{Since Panther Games/Matrix Games is in my sig here ... just to be clear ... this is not about either of those two entities ... of course, both are made up of the finest people I know.}
2021 - Resigned in writing as a 20+ year Matrix Beta and never looked back ...
mikul82

Post by mikul82 »

That really makes me happy to hear, especially in a society such as this which generally seems devoid of compassion.  I don't even play board wargames, but would like to buy one of theirs when my own financial situation improves just to support such a gesture. 

Maybe I could get my girlfriend to play it with me...  On second thought, I'd probably have better luck getting the cat to play instead. [;)]

Return to “General Discussion”