just about didn't live to pisck it up.

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Timmeh

just about didn't live to pisck it up.

Post by Timmeh »

first stiff drink down, working on the second...

so the good news I picked up my printed manual for $19 CDN at the quick print beside my jobsite today. pooping will now take considerably more time : )

I just about didn't live to see it though...

A Dental Office thats trying to open next week was the scene of my near demise. Right beside it is quick print shop and I dropped the ipod off and went back to work .... I'm working on getting their network up (data/tel/coax, all the low voltage stuff basically) I'm up my 8' stepladder to access one set of data/coax (for the TV over the dental chair) and of course next to my location is an outlet box with electrical wiring stubbed out awaiting a plug.

Anyone familiar with construction saftey should probably be guessing what happened next.

Attachments
pic2.jpg
pic2.jpg (113.42 KiB) Viewed 50 times
wdolson

RE: just about didn't live to pisck it up.

Post by wdolson »

OUCH! [X(]

Glad you survived to write about it!
WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer
Timmeh

Post by Timmeh »

I almost punched out an electrician today! He tried to splain it away as last week someone was turning on breakers for whatever reason.

Bottom line, lock outs are required once 'hot' at the breaker and they weren't in place ! After he lost integrity like that he should have either posted a warning or physically verified each wire. I'm lucky I didn't poke my head on it or fall from 5 - 6 feet off the ladder.

It's good to be alive and everytime I sit on the crapper and read the manual from now on I'll smile a little smile.
eloso

Post by eloso »

Now I really feel bad about sinking the Enterprise. [:(]
Timmeh

Post by Timmeh »

I prefer to think of that as taking the undersea route back to the mainland. And of course the whole journey shall be sung to the tune in the 'Little Mermaid'

just in case its not stuck in your brain yet ...
The seaweed is always greener
In somebody else's lake
You dream about going up there
But that is a big mistake
Just look at the world around you
Right here on the ocean floor
Such wonderful things surround you
What more is you lookin' for?

Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me
Up on the shore they work all day
Out in the sun they slave away
While we devotin'
Full time to floatin'
Under the sea
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

My brother had something similar but a bit more spectacular happen... a circuit he was working near was supposed to be locked out, but some nimnod reactivated it without telling anyone... which reactivated a high-powered laser.

My brother (an engineer) reached over to pick up something near the "deactivated" laser - and noticed his thumb was on fire!!! [X(] [X(] [X(]

Laser light is (of course) invisible unless you have a lot of dust or smoke or something for it to reflect off of. The beam set his thumbnail on fire, which required an overnight stay in the hospital (mostly because the docs there had never seen such an injury before...)

EDIT: i think he had a few choice words for the nimnod responsible, as did several other supervisory types... [:'(]
Timmeh

Post by Timmeh »

That room must have been extemley tight to not see it and geebus! a hole? obviously the laser was at least into the gigawatt version.

I once considered a 50-100 milliwatt version to pop balloons at parties and maybe crash the occasional airliner ( j/k ) but they can run several G CDN.
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Timmeh

That room must have been extemley tight to not see it and geebus! a hole? obviously the laser was at least into the gigawatt version.

Not sure it actually drilled a hole - merely set the nail (which is non-living keratin) on fire. It was a pretty powerful industrial laser (my brother works in the automotive field) - i think one of the most powerful industrial types around in those days (this was some years ago).
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

My brother had something similar but a bit more spectacular happen... a circuit he was working near was supposed to be locked out, but some nimnod reactivated it without telling anyone... which reactivated a high-powered laser.

My brother (an engineer) reached over to pick up something near the "deactivated" laser - and noticed his thumb was on fire!!! [X(] [X(] [X(]

Laser light is (of course) invisible unless you have a lot of dust or smoke or something for it to reflect off of. The beam set his thumbnail on fire, which required an overnight stay in the hospital (mostly because the docs there had never seen such an injury before...)

EDIT: i think he had a few choice words for the nimnod responsible, as did several other supervisory types... [:'(]

I went to a technical high school where you had to major in something. I majored in Electronics, but there was also a Materials Science major. In one of my classes in college, I ran into a guy who had been a Materials Science major a year ahead of me. He told me of a time when he was a senior they were doing gamma ray spectrometry and there was a power outage. They had done x-ray spectrometry before and when the power is out, the source is dead. They all forgot that gamma ray sources don't shut off when the power is out and they hung around for a while with the gamma ray chamber open.

Their radiation exposure badges were black. He didn't get enough to get radiation sickness, but he got a large enough exposure that the doctor recommended that he not have children. He also is at much higher risk for an array of cancers.

Bill
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: wdolson

I went to a technical high school where you had to major in something. I majored in Electronics, but there was also a Materials Science major. In one of my classes in college, I ran into a guy who had been a Materials Science major a year ahead of me. He told me of a time when he was a senior they were doing gamma ray spectrometry and there was a power outage. They had done x-ray spectrometry before and when the power is out, the source is dead. They all forgot that gamma ray sources don't shut off when the power is out and they hung around for a while with the gamma ray chamber open.

Their radiation exposure badges were black. He didn't get enough to get radiation sickness, but he got a large enough exposure that the doctor recommended that he not have children. He also is at much higher risk for an array of cancers.

Bill

ICK!!!

i'd get a second opinion on that kid thing... genetics has come a long way in the last few years, and they can probably tell if he is at serious risk of having spermatogenic damage, i think.
Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

Yeah all they need to do is get a sample and run a test. It isn't too complicated nowadays. To be fair though the doctor was almost certainly correct. Gamma radiation is the last of the moderately common types I'd want to be exposed to. The problem is that it is highly mutagenic and penetrates clothing and tissues and is well known to screw with DNA - meaning not only is he more likely to get cancer but it is more likely to be of the inner viscera and thus more likely to result in death. As for as his spermatozoa goes they are probably are effected but the degree of damage is what really matters.

Apart from the usual " you put WHAT WHERE?" injuries you always get one of the really impressive ones I saw was a guy who got a drop of acid (forget what type it was now but it is used to etch silicon chips in the computer industry and goes something like "fluoridic acid" sic) on his hand while working in an Intel factory. Turns out that this acid doesn't burn your skin but actually just gets absorbed and then does two things:

1. Has an exothermic reaction with the water in your body and
2. makes for any nearby bone and leaches the calcium etc out of it creating a poisonous second stage.

The guy looked fine coming in, he was Polish and a tough as nails, with his hand only a slight bit tender but we didn't know anything about the acid so I had to go on the net and find info on it. Imagine my surprise when they stated that amputation of the arm or leg could be required if you got a large enough splash of it - not so much because of the actual destruction of tissue but because the liberation of all that calcium messed up your electrolyte balance and you ended up getting hypercalcaemia, hyperphospataemia etc and then getting a fatal cardiac arrhythmia.

Fortunately things went OK and the guy not only lived but kept his hand. What was impressive though was how well prepared Intel was - one of their line managers came in with an information pack on the acid, likely complications etc etc. Most impressive stuff.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Yeah all they need to do is get a sample and run a test. It isn't too complicated nowadays. To be fair though the doctor was almost certainly correct. Gamma radiation is the last of the moderately common types I'd want to be exposed to. The problem is that it is highly mutagenic and penetrates clothing and tissues and is well known to screw with DNA - meaning not only is he more likely to get cancer but it is more likely to be of the inner viscera and thus more likely to result in death. As for as his spermatozoa goes they are probably are effected but the degree of damage is what really matters.

Apart from the usual " you put WHAT WHERE?" injuries you always get one of the really impressive ones I saw was a guy who got a drop of acid (forget what type it was now but it is used to etch silicon chips in the computer industry and goes something like "fluoridic acid" sic) on his hand while working in an Intel factory. Turns out that this acid doesn't burn your skin but actually just gets absorbed and then does two things:

1. Has an exothermic reaction with the water in your body and
2. makes for any nearby bone and leaches the calcium etc out of it creating a poisonous second stage.

The guy looked fine coming in, he was Polish and a tough as nails, with his hand only a slight bit tender but we didn't know anything about the acid so I had to go on the net and find info on it. Imagine my surprise when they stated that amputation of the arm or leg could be required if you got a large enough splash of it - not so much because of the actual destruction of tissue but because the liberation of all that calcium messed up your electrolyte balance and you ended up getting hypercalcaemia, hyperphospataemia etc and then getting a fatal cardiac arrhythmia.

Fortunately things went OK and the guy not only lived but kept his hand. What was impressive though was how well prepared Intel was - one of their line managers came in with an information pack on the acid, likely complications etc etc. Most impressive stuff.

Maybe hydrofluoric acid... standard warning on the bottle (at least in the past) was: "Hold affected area under running water for 24 hours". [X(]

i know of someone who got a drop of it on his finger - and had nerve damage and couldn't feel anything in the finger for several years. The stuff is deadly - it will eat through glass and is used in etching, and thus it may be the one you are talking about... then again, it just might be a close "cousin".

One nasty chemical accident i saw was from a housemate years ago: she was working in a chemistry class and went on break. When she came back, she put on her goggles, and discovered that the class "brain" had accidentally splashed Sulphuric Acid (iirc) on them. Cooly, the was trying to get to the chemical spill shower when the class "brain" announced what had happened, and new the "correct" solution, and splashed concentrated Potassium Hydroxide into her face. Alas, human flesh is somewhat resistant to acid, but is readily attacked by strong base solutions, and this solution was far worse than the original problem (that he had originally caused).

Fortunately, the KOH did not get into her eyes, and got the chemical shower pretty quick, but she carried some nasty scars around her eyes. i suspect unless she got plastic surgery, she would have them for the rest of her life.
Nemo121

Post by Nemo121 »

Hydrofluorate.. That's it.... Very funky stuff indeed.

As to your other story..What an idiot... Still it illustrates the principle that you should never mess with things you know nothing about.
John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.
wdolson

Post by wdolson »

ICK!!!

i'd get a second opinion on that kid thing... genetics has come a long way in the last few years, and they can probably tell if he is at serious risk of having spermatogenic damage, i think.

I haven't seen the guy in nearly 20 years. He had a good attitude about the whole thing. He was determined to live a good life and not let himself dwell on negative "what ifs". Attitude can go a long way towards helping a person stay healthy. I hope it did in his case.

Crazy stuff about hydroflourate acid and the bozo in chemistry class. I've always been careful around chemicals. The vast majority are benign, but the rest will mess you up. Sometimes in very bizarre ways. Best to practice caution always.

Bill
rtrapasso

Post by rtrapasso »

Well, people apparently vary greatly in their resistance to radiation - some folks will be killed by just the radiation from fluorescent lighting (xeroderma pigmentosa patients) while others will resist radiation that is so intense that it makes them radioactive and dangerous to approach ("The Radioactive Man" of Hanford, Washington)... hopefully your friend is one of the resistant ones.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”