Which SPWaW version is best with H2Hfr ?

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

JEB Davis

Which SPWaW version is best with H2Hfr ?

Post by JEB Davis »

I've searched and read lots of old posts here, and many said H2Hfr works well over versions newer than 7.1. Also, some talk about an H2H release to update it for newer SPWaW compatibility, which has not happened yet. Sorry to dredge up old ground, but I did my best to search before asking. [:)]

Opinons about which SPWaW is best to use for H2Hfr, please. [&o]

Any bugs you guys have encountered using it with the newer versions ?
Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/
chief

RE: Which SPWaW version is best with H2Hfr ?

Post by chief »

JEB>>>>I have found over the past 5 or 6 years of playing this game that H2Hfr works best using ver 7.1 with 4/7/02 OOBs (update).

It was designed by Panzer Leo for that version and IMHO it's the one it should be played in. I won't say that it doesn't work with other version(s) because it just may and may play fine, but for me it's 7.1. Just one old man's opinion.

Good hunting.
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
Krec

Post by Krec »

albys mod is the best so far. should have a ver coming soon
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: Krec

Thanks for the credit but, its the "SPWAW Multi Mod."
Many knowledgeable people involved in this project.
[:)]

Warrior

Post by Warrior »

I've used it over ALL the new game versions without trouble. The mech.exe remains 7.1, the other stuff from the new versions that's not over-written is minimal but interesting.
Retreat is NOT an option.

KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: Warrior

I've used it over ALL the new game versions without trouble. The mech.exe remains 7.1, the other stuff from the new versions that's not over-written is minimal but interesting.

Steve, is this the version you write your scenarios for? 7.1? Shouldn't it be the last "official" mech.exe, which is 8.4?
JEB Davis

Post by JEB Davis »

Krec:
Are you suggesting using the Depot Mod with H2Hfr ?
Or did you mean you prefer the Depot Mod as the best SPWaW experience ?

Guys:
I just was looking to install H2Hfr and wanted to make the best choice for the underlying SPWaW version to install it on. With an eye toward compatibility with others when I dive into PBEMs.

P.S. Thanks Chief and Warrior.
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
KG Erwin

Post by KG Erwin »

ORIGINAL: JEB Davis

Krec:

Guys:
I just was looking to install H2Hfr and wanted to make the best choice for the underlying SPWaW version to install it on. With an eye toward compatibility with others when I dive into PBEMs.

To settle this, H2hfr was written to work with the OObs for version 7.1. PanzerLeo offered his own hacked mech.exe, too, so it becomes a self-contained mod. The downside is that it screws up any successive official mech.exe, and the Mega Camapigns.

It's a moot point, as the SPWaW Multi-Mod will far surpass H2H in every way.

If you have the hard drive space, set up two SPWaWs in different directories. This may cause some registry issues, but those can be figured out.

Personally, I keep only one version of SPWaW.
chief

Post by chief »

JEB:
Erwins suggestion of keeping two versions is a good one. I personally have 5 versions installed and NO REGISTRY problems. My biggest problemo is which version to play next. I particularly enjoy playing a scenario that may be available in different versions and seeing the results and playability, if I find icons that don't match I install the correct ones and away I go. My problem is I'm hooked and have too much d**m time on my hands. Oh well, such is the retired life, fiddle de dee.

Ver 7.1 (Megas installed on this version)
H2Hfr (7.1)
Ver 8.3
Ver 8.4 (Mod 2)
Ver 8.403

and by george I enjoy each ones quaint ideosyncrisies (sp ?).

Oh yeah, if you have more than one version installed you could have problems using the Mod Swapper, I believe I'm correct on this, right Alby ? I just install the Mods the old fashion way, one step at a time.

Somewhere in my pile of CDs I have original copies of each of the versions since 4.5 and then copies of versions Modified thru the ages. Every now and then I throw one of these into the fray for the scenarios that were available at the time of that version that were dropped later. SPwaw is good/great in ANY VERSION and that's my story and I'm sticking to it. (sorry I just had to throw that in)

Adieu, adios, asta la vista, ciao, aloha, auf friedersein, ta ta, G'day Mate, sa ha juice.
"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Steve, is this the version you write your scenarios for? 7.1? Shouldn't it be the last "official" mech.exe, which is 8.4?
he is talking about H2H
7.1 was the mech for it.

Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: JEB Davis

Krec:

Guys:

He meant the SPWAW Multi Mod
which has not yet been released.
he is one of the people who are helping test it.
It is far above and beyond what the Depot Mod was. and not trying to sound biased but,...IMHO it is better than H2H.

It will be the best version of SPWAW yet released.

JEB Davis

Post by JEB Davis »

ORIGINAL: chief
<<.... snip.......>>

Ver 7.1 (Megas installed on this version)
H2Hfr (7.1)
Ver 8.3
Ver 8.4 (Mod 2)
Ver 8.403

<<.... snip.......>>

Oh yeah, if you have more than one version installed you could have problems using the Mod Swapper,

<<.... snip.......>>

I started with 8.30, upgraded to 8.403. Installed 8.30 again (separate installation) for Depot Academy studies. I use modswapper with 8.403 and leave the 8.30 vanilla. Since modswapper uses the last installation by default, I did the easy Windows registry edit trick to point it back to 8.403.

1) I will try H2H over ________, this thread was to fill in the blank with the best version.
2) I want to buy megacamps (have heard 7.1 is good for them and new vers. have problems with them).

Will probably end up with what you have, minus 8.4, then when the SPWAW Multi Mod (bold type for Alby [:D]) comes out, add that to whatever version is recommended.
chief

Post by chief »

JEB:

Sounds good to moi......[;)][8D]
Warrior

Post by Warrior »

Alby is right, I was talking about H2Hfr, which I have installed over all the newer "standard" games at one time or another. These days I'm only designing with the standard game to reach more players... still hoping for an updated H2H, sigh.

And so you know, I'm designing with v8.403.
Retreat is NOT an option.

Alby

Post by Alby »

Alby is right, I was talking about H2Hfr, which I have installed over all the newer "standard" games at one time or another. These days I'm only designing with the standard game to reach more players... still hoping for an updated H2H, sigh.

And so you know, I'm designing with v8.403.
Why are you hoping for an updated H2H when The Spwaw mod already surpasses it?
[:D]
I am telling you guys this IS gonna be the best version out there!!
There is not a cleaner, error free oob set out there, Including H2H
plus all the extra goodies we have added.

[:)]

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”