Bonus for Scrapping ships?

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Evrett

Bonus for Scrapping ships?

Post by Evrett »

Is there any benefit to tech for scrapping a high tech ship at a planet? I got a refugee frigate that is very high tech and I was wondering if there was any way to salvage tech from it?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan
feelotraveller

RE: Bonus for Scrapping ships?

Post by feelotraveller »

In short, yes you will get a tech advance if you retire it at one of your spaceports. [:)]

You get a research bonus for retiring (not scrapping) ships at any of your spaceports if those ships contain components you do not (yet) know the tech for. The bonus is based on tech level of the components. You may get an entire tech from very advanced ships early on, but may only recieve a small contribution to a tech for basic techs you do not know later in the game. I believe the bonus is from the most advanced component on the ship if there are several. Size of the ship does not matter. The tech bonus will be in the general category of the advanced component, but is somewhat random. If there are several equally advanced components I believe it is also randomly decided which one provides the bonus.

Oh, and you get the resources used to construct the ship.
Evrett

Post by Evrett »

Nifty thanks! Retire not scrap! got it!

edit bleh I got a free low lvl engine tech that I never researched because my racial was better..should've kept the ship
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan
Tomatoes

Post by Tomatoes »

I never scrap the adavanced ships.

The way the tech system works for scrapping a ship is it will update the most out of date tech that the ship has that you dont have.

eg.

So if you have amazing missles and lasers but have not tech'd your torpedoes at all.

It will prob improve that tech as it is most out of date

I always scrap the ships i find of "simlar tech" to my current ships but the advance ones with torrent drives all find themselves in their own fleet. (this is due to them having the same hyper speed.)

Size makes no odds but generally small ships get scrapped. Big ones get kept.

Hope this helps....
Even a clock that does not work is right twice a day
adecoy95

Post by adecoy95 »

retire the tiny ships, keep the big ones, imo
CyclopsSlayer

Post by CyclopsSlayer »

Not sure how it determines the tech, but...

Very early in my current game I found an abandoned Med Space Port and 5 ships near it. Claiming the Port gave me knowledge of Enhanced Hyper, then retiring all 5 of the ships completed High Speed Hyper and Hyper Slipstreaming, and got me like 80% into Hyper Flow Dynamics. All that in like the first year or 2 of a game, well, 23000 speed hyper drives made the early exploration phase trivially fast. [:D]

So going by that, maybe it was winning the lottery and never going to happen again, but I am willing to scrap on the off chance.. lol
LiquidSky

Post by LiquidSky »

Yes, I like to scrap them all at once. Usually wait until I am finished with all the debris fields, then I keep the Captials, Cruisers and Troops ships, and scrap the rest. That way my tech is reasonably advanced and I can get a few free techs from them..usually engines.
“My logisticians are a humorless lot … they know if my campaign fails, they are the first ones I will slay.” – Alexander the Great

Return to “The War Room”