When can we get the new update? aka: Do we have a schedule for the release of upgrade packs? Especially database release

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Sanyr1310

When can we get the new update? aka: Do we have a schedule for the release of upgrade packs? Especially database release

Post by Sanyr1310 »

In the past, every update containing a new database was released almost once a month (usually the middle of every month). But, somehow, over the last year, the timing of such updates has become increasingly unpredictable, and the time span between each update has grown larger and larger. This makes me feel a little confused and uncomfortable.
Last edited by Sanyr1310 on Wed May 29, 2024 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sanyr1310

Re: When can we get the new update? aka: Do we have a schedule for the release of upgrade packs?

Post by Sanyr1310 »

Plus: The CMO-DB administrator said on Github that he had already submitted the completed database file at the beginning of this month...
Mickeys91

Re: When can we get the new update? aka: Do we have a schedule for the release of upgrade packs?

Post by Mickeys91 »

Im hoping the MAKO hypersonic missile is included and some stuff from the recent Iran/Israeli situation. Have a few missions I want to build and test some stuff, Also the US navies implantation of the Patriots on their ship for future models
Kushan04

Post by Kushan04 »

The database has been on a three month release cycle for the past few years. Actual public release depends on game update releases, so it's going to vary a little.
Sanyr1310

Post by Sanyr1310 »

Kushan04 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 3:02 am The database has been on a three month release cycle for the past few years. Actual public release depends on game update releases, so it's going to vary a little.
I have checked the release time of previous updates with database: db v503-12/12/2023, v504-19/01/2024, v505-15/03/2024. It can be found that from the end of last year to the beginning of this period, the update frequency is between 1 to 2 months, but the update time span seems to be increasing. Can I say that the development team encountered any issues that caused the update rate with the database version to lag?
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Is there something in the db you need for a scenario? dbs used be only a few times a year. Its only recently that it started happening faster. I'm really not sure why the heavy pressure on dbs.
Nikel

Post by Nikel »

They do not release new database versions alone.

They come with new versions of the engine, and apparently is complicated to solve the issues the engine has.
Sanyr1310

Post by Sanyr1310 »

Nikel wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:01 pm They do not release new database versions alone.

They come with new versions of the engine, and apparently is complicated to solve the issues the engine has.
Yes, and this is what I suspect, the engine itself is more problematic, causing database updates to be slowed down.

However, I hope that the game engine itself can be updated without slowing down the database update rate. I admire the efficiency of the DB team, but their work seems to be less and less timely for players to experience. I know that database data is the least important thing in this game, compared to the simulation itself, but there are quite a few players (including me, especially scen makers) who want to incorporate Github's "new toys" into their scenarios as soon as possible
Nikel

Post by Nikel »

It is also an essential component.

But adding stuff to a database and fixing previous problems in it is an easier task compared to engine coding.
Sanyr1310

Post by Sanyr1310 »

thewood1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:00 pm Is there something in the db you need for a scenario? dbs used be only a few times a year. Its only recently that it started happening faster. I'm really not sure why the heavy pressure on dbs.
In order to achieve a more realistic scenario.

Bro, New Cold War has begun, and new products are appearing in the arsenals of countries around the world almost every day, especially those of potential adversaries of the United States and the U.S. itself. The database is not perfect for their simulation, so the DB team is working with the community to find ways to complete them.
Sanyr1310

Post by Sanyr1310 »

Nikel wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:12 pm It is also an essential component.

But adding stuff to a database and fixing previous problems in it is an easier task compared to engine coding.
Perhaps, we can try to make database updates not tied to certain new engine coding tasks, such as a stand-alone database update package, which should not be too difficult.
DWReese

Post by DWReese »

What is the rationale for having a database cap (max version) for each of the releases?

By that, I know that db 501 was the highest that you can have for version 1328.8, and the current version is 1328.18 and that is set a db 505.

Why not have it so that each version can work with all of the databases?

What is the thought process for the restriction?

It seems that if it were available to all, then any the databases could be constantly updated, and the old scenarios would still work, and it wouldn't have such an impactful issue. There has to be some reason for this action.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Sanyr1310 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:13 pm
thewood1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 2:00 pm Is there something in the db you need for a scenario? dbs used be only a few times a year. Its only recently that it started happening faster. I'm really not sure why the heavy pressure on dbs.
In order to achieve a more realistic scenario.

Bro, New Cold War has begun, and new products are appearing in the arsenals of countries around the world almost every day, especially those of potential adversaries of the United States and the U.S. itself. The database is not perfect for their simulation, so the DB team is working with the community to find ways to complete them.
So what exactly is missing? Are there requests in the db queue on github that you are waiting on? If you are expecting a new db once a month or so, I assume you are very active in requestion new units. I haven't checked.

edit: Took a look and didn't see the handle you are using here. Do you use a different one on github?

https://github.com/PygmalionOfCyprus/cm ... sts/issues
Sanyr1310

Re: When can we get the new update? aka: Do we have a schedule for the release of upgrade packs? Especially database rel

Post by Sanyr1310 »

So what exactly is missing? Are there requests in the db queue on github that you are waiting on? If you are expecting a new db once a month or so, I assume you are very active in requestion new units. I haven't checked.

edit: Took a look and didn't see the handle you are using here. Do you use a different one on github?

Yes, it is true that I did not raise an issue, but I am eagerly looking forward to many interesting issues. Why should I come up with the idea myself if someone else has done it for me? The Constitutional Convention wasn't something every citizen went to, was it? I'm a big supporter of people who actively raise issues, and I'm sure they also want to see their efforts reflected in the game as soon as possible.
thewood1

Re: When can we get the new update? aka: Do we have a schedule for the release of upgrade packs? Especially database rel

Post by thewood1 »

Sanyr1310 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:26 pm

Yes, it is true that I did not raise an issue, but I am eagerly looking forward to many interesting issues. Why should I come up with the idea myself if someone else has done it for me? The Constitutional Convention wasn't something every citizen went to, was it? I'm a big supporter of people who actively raise issues, and I'm sure they also want to see their efforts reflected in the game as soon as possible.
Well...if you just want to see what other people come up with, just go to that link. Its very easy and means you can skip this thread.
Sanyr1310

Post by Sanyr1310 »

Well...if you just want to see what other people come up with, just go to that link. Its very easy and means you can skip this thread.
Bruhhhhh... Man, I think u just missed the point. The point is: Can database release be more timely? So I can put new unit into new scenario.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I didn't miss your point. I got it exactly. You want dbs faster. And my point is what units are you waiting for. Maybe if you are more specific and point out the scenario you are trying to build, you might get some action or even a workaround. I can't imagine that just jumping into a thread and saying db releases must be faster is going to motivate much.
Sanyr1310

Post by Sanyr1310 »

thewood1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 3:39 pm I didn't miss your point. I got it exactly. You want dbs faster. And my point is what units are you waiting for. Maybe if you are more specific and point out the scenario you are trying to build, you might get some action or even a workaround. I can't imagine that just jumping into a thread and saying db releases must be faster is going to motivate much.
Whaaaaat? You don't forget the old database update speed. In the past, the database release speed was not as slow as it is now, don't you realize that the last six months or so are different from the past? What unit do you think I can expect? More CCA? Sea-based PAC-3? SSBN Colombia? A Mako missile? AGM-158B-3? Or do you think I'd like to see more PLA/RAF/KPA secret weapons?

Of course, you can say I'm an OSINT fanatic, and I really want the OSINT stuff to be in the game as soon as possible.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

2018 - 4 updates
2019 - 2 updates
2020 - 0 updates
2021 - 3 updates
2022 - 5 updates
2023 - 6 updates
2024 - 2 updates...so far.

Thats an average of 3.5 a year with a year in there of zero. Average is 3.5/yr and they have already released 2 dbs before June. They are actually getting them out faster than usual.

btw, they released 10 dbs from 2013 to 2017. Thats 2-3 a year before the above. So in reality, its probably an average of 3/yr since CMNAO days.

So you are asking them to go significantly faster than normal?
Sanyr1310

Post by Sanyr1310 »

thewood1 wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:19 pm 2018 - 4 updates
2019 - 2 updates
2020 - 0 updates
2021 - 3 updates
2022 - 5 updates
2023 - 6 updates
2024 - 2 updates...so far.

Thats an average of 3.5 a year with a year in there of zero. Average is 3.5/yr and they have already released 2 dbs before June. They are actually getting them out faster than usual.

btw, they released 10 dbs from 2013 to 2017. Thats 2-3 a year before the above. So in reality, its probably an average of 3/yr since CMNAO days.

So you are asking them to go significantly faster than normal?
When the Github community launched in the first half of 2022 and matured in 2023, the database publishing speed entered a new level. However, as we head into June 2024, we've seen only two DB releases in five months, and the pace in the last three months could even be compressed to one release a month. The increase in output caused by the emergence and mature of the Github community is obvious, and I'm just curious, since we have such high production capacity, why can't we publish faster?

"The past" I mean no later than Github DB community open. I don't think we can think in terms of the more distant past.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”