Paradrop movement/force march/attack then paradrop

Moderator: Hubert Cater

Lothos

Paradrop movement/force march/attack then paradrop

Post by Lothos »

Spoke to the devs and they are asking for peoples thoughts on Paratroopers in both WiE and WaW.

The combination is this

Paradtroopers
- Movement (or Force March)
- Attack (optional)
- Go into Paradrop mode

All of this happening in the same turn, what are peoples thoughts on this?

I will make a seperate post with my thoughts on this. Please share yours so the devs may consider changing this if need be.

This post is a continuation of this post
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... 7&t=403748

Devs suggested I move it to a more vigilant spot.
Last edited by Lothos on Mon May 13, 2024 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lothos

Re: Paradrop movement/force march/attack then paradrop

Post by Lothos »

My thoughts are that this is to powerful of a move.

No other unit can do this.

- Subs, as soon as the move can not go into silent mode and must remain in whatever mode they started the movement in.
- Carriers, if they use their full movement, cannot change their mode from fighters to mixed or bombers etc....

This move with Paratroopers just seems gamey to me if you can performan all these actions and then drop the very next turn and then rinse and repeat.

My suggested changes are the following
- Any movement or attack will disable the paradrop button
- Supply must be 5 or greater for the paradrop button to be enabled

Please by no means take my suggestion as the final say etc... what are your thoughts on this and if you have any suggestions this is the perfect time to share them.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

I would agree to your suggestion.
CaesarAug

Post by CaesarAug »

I haven’t used paratroopers much but I do see that currently, it is too gamey. Given how the game system already handles supply, carriers and submarines, I agree with your proposals, Lothos, for consistency.
El_Condoro

Post by El_Condoro »

- Supply must be 5 or greater for the paradrop button to be enabled
AFAIK this is handled in Country Data as 'Min Paratroops Prepare Supply Level'.
ORB & CROWN Fantasy Warfare Mod for Strategic Command
Download for War in Europe or World at War - YouTube - Discord
CaesarAug

Post by CaesarAug »

I don't think so. It's under the Reformable section, used for re-purchasing damaged units faster. If I understand aright, the Min Supply value there is relative to that purpose, not a setting for the minimum supply value required for paradrop preparation. This would have to be changed by the developers.
ElvisJJonesRambo

Post by ElvisJJonesRambo »

No, there's nothing wrong.

Let it be.
Let Eagles land.
Let Paratroops, drop.

Everytime some clown loses a game, they want a new rule, want to bog the new election with a rules trial.
Attachments
This is war.jpeg
This is war.jpeg (8.58 KiB) Viewed 467 times
Eagle.jpeg
Eagle.jpeg (12.05 KiB) Viewed 467 times
Therefore, you get the "Patton Slap!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol: Served: 1
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

CaesarAug wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:30 pm I don't think so. It's under the Reformable section, used for re-purchasing damaged units faster. If I understand aright, the Min Supply value there is relative to that purpose, not a setting for the minimum supply value required for paradrop preparation. This would have to be changed by the developers.
Just to clarify as there are two settings:

The Min Paratroops Prepare Supply Level is the setting for the minimum supply paratroops need to have in order to be able to Prepare. It is set by default to 5 but could be increased (or even decreased!).

The Min Supply setting in the Edit Strength/Reinforce/Reformation Data is the minimum supply level allowing the unit to be repurchased.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
Old_Shane

Post by Old_Shane »

ElvisJJonesRambo wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:20 am No, there's nothing wrong.

Let it be.
Let Eagles land.
Let Paratroops, drop.

Everytime some clown loses a game, they want a new rule, want to bog the new election with a rules trial.
I agree. Its the subs that could be adjusted. It takes minutes to dive or surface. You shouldn't have to commit to one or the other for days!
CaesarAug

Post by CaesarAug »

BillRunacre wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:33 am
CaesarAug wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:30 pm I don't think so. It's under the Reformable section, used for re-purchasing damaged units faster. If I understand aright, the Min Supply value there is relative to that purpose, not a setting for the minimum supply value required for paradrop preparation. This would have to be changed by the developers.
Just to clarify as there are two settings:

The Min Paratroops Prepare Supply Level is the setting for the minimum supply paratroops need to have in order to be able to Prepare. It is set by default to 5 but could be increased (or even decreased!).

The Min Supply setting in the Edit Strength/Reinforce/Reformation Data is the minimum supply level allowing the unit to be repurchased.
Ah! Where is the Min Paratroops Prepare Supply Level setting in the editor?

EDIT: I see it! Country Data. Just discovered it, too! :-)
Last edited by CaesarAug on Wed May 15, 2024 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Under Edit Country Data, on the right hand side, each country can have its own setting.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
CaesarAug

Post by CaesarAug »

BillRunacre wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:06 pm Under Edit Country Data, on the right hand side, each country can have its own setting.
Yes, I just saw it, thanks! I also saw an adjustment in the Extras section of Automatic Research. Most interesting since I never knew these adjustments even existed, despite all my endless editing! :mrgreen:
Lothos

Post by Lothos »

BillRunacre wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 4:06 pm Under Edit Country Data, on the right hand side, each country can have its own setting.
Hi Bill

Yea I see the supply thing, but my other suggestion still stands. If a Paradrop takes any action such as move or attack it should not be able to go into Paradrop mode. As pointed out by Dudeman and several others who are heavy players of the game. Even Dudeman belives it is to powerful of a move to chain Paratroopers against Russia.
Tanaka

Post by Tanaka »

Lothos wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 5:07 pm
Hi Bill

Yea I see the supply thing, but my other suggestion still stands. If a Paradrop takes any action such as move or attack it should not be able to go into Paradrop mode. As pointed out by Dudeman and several others who are heavy players of the game. Even Dudeman belives it is to powerful of a move to chain Paratroopers against Russia.
Agreed. I like your suggestions!
CaesarAug

Post by CaesarAug »

I also agree for overall consistency with the game. In the meantime though, making a higher base minimum supply requirement will help to restrict paradrop operations. And for more flavour, set the minimum supply requirement to say 10 or 8, for example, and adjust -1 per level minimum supply requirement in (automatic research) Aerial Warfare (5 levels) which would reduce it gradually to 5 or 3, respectively.
Last edited by CaesarAug on Thu May 16, 2024 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

There's like three threads on going about this issue in the Matrix forums and on Discord too lol

Here's my take: Agree Airborne/Paras should not be able to 'prepare' after force-marching. I would add ALL moves.

edit...also like the minimum supply angle raised above too.

Anything to make it a bit more realistic. There wasn't some 'clown' that was complaining about this. Its been discussed for awhile by many folks.
Well, if we are clowns, fine. Not all of us can be lion tamers. :lol:
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods
ElvisJJonesRambo

Post by ElvisJJonesRambo »

Funny guys. This a game, it's fun to play. You want realistic game play, you really want start here? Paratroops were introduced in SC2, back in 2006, before Smart Phones. Have never been a game breaker.

Force marched, lol, paratroops marching. Does the Navy force swim their sailors.
Trucks, Wagons, Trains, Halftracks, hop on Tanks, and some cases even Uber.

Lets say you walk 20 miles per day, for 2-week turn. 14 days, well, you can have the Sabbath for rest. 12 days * 20 miles = 360 miles. It's only 550 miles from Berlin to Paris. Relax with the rules police. Europe is small, Russia different story.

If you don't like Paratroops taking open cities, then defend them.
Paratroops are not game breakers. They're also quite expensive.
Obviously, were only talking about German paratroops.
The Buntas only have 2 of them. Come on man, you can account for them as a defender.

We may have gone, a Bridge Too Far.

Hey, you! That's right, you stupid Kraut b_______! That's right! Say hello to Ford, and General f______' Motors! You stupid fascist pigs! Look at you! You have horses! What were you thinking? Dragging our asses half way around the world, interrupting our lives... For what, you ignorant, servile scum! What the f___ are we doing here?
Attachments
BridgeTooFar.jpg
BridgeTooFar.jpg (7.08 KiB) Viewed 305 times
Webster.jpg
Webster.jpg (20.18 KiB) Viewed 306 times
Therefore, you get the "Patton Slap!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol: Served: 1
Torplexed

Post by Torplexed »

I must admit I like it as is although it does stretch credulity. :D

Return to “Strategic Command WWII: World at War”