Newbie Tips Required

Prepare yourself for a wargaming tour-de-force! Conquest of the Aegean is the next generation of the award-winning and revolutionary Airborne Assault series and it takes brigade to corps-level warfare to a whole new level. Realism and accuracy are the watchwords as this pausable continuous time design allows you to command at any echelon, with smart AI subordinates and an incredibly challenging AI.

Moderator: Arjuna

Foolio

Newbie Tips Required

Post by Foolio »

I bought CotA last week and have almost completed the 2nd tutuorial. I'm complete new to war games, the closest I got was Panzer General in the 90s and I'm sure that doesn't count [:D]

I'm just looking for any tips people may have around using the correct unit type to assault/defend particular terrain types or units, how best to use arty/airstrikes and knowing when your unit aren't up to the task at hand (i.e. too fatigued/inexperienced etc).

Basically any help anyone can provide would be greatly appreaciated. I'm hoping it all common sense, but you never know.
First, we go in there and get wrecked, then we eat a pork pie...
wodin

RE: Newbie Tips Required

Post by wodin »

I couldn't do any better than the CotA mini guide by Markshot which you can see if you look up a little (its a sticky thread ^^).

Also when the tutorial videos are relaesed for everyone for the Bulge game they will also help you with CotA.
ZBrisk

Post by ZBrisk »

I'm just looking for any tips people may have around using the correct unit type to assault/defend particular terrain types or units

Line units move and fight up close, support units stay back and provide fire support. That's basically it, for both defense and offense.

For tanks, it's good to know about their armor and firepower if you don't already. You can look them up in the scenario editor. http://www.wwiivehicles.com/ is a good site as well. Keep in mind that all armor penetration seems to be at 30 degree angles, so no killing Matildas with Pak 38s.

As far as terrain goes, right-clicking on it shows all you need to know. Just keep motorized units out of woods and broken, since they have to always keep their trucks nearby in this game.
how best to use arty/airstrikes

On call arty usually does a good job by itself, but when manually targeting just hit the valuable or bunched-up targets. Terrain ordered by bombardment vulnerability is woods->open->urban->broken->fort. Same with airstrikes. Feel free to bomb AA as they don't actually perform as AA in this game (I hear they do in BFTB though).
and knowing when your unit aren't up to the task at hand (i.e. too fatigued/inexperienced etc).

You should just generally try to keep fatigue low since it affects various aspects of performance, but units only start falling asleep on you when it gets to at least 70%. I don't bother paying attention to unit stats like experience much.
Foolio

Post by Foolio »

Thanks for the tips. I think I'm getting the hang of it now.

I just need to get to grips with the tactics of large scale battles now, especially defence and delaying. All that seems to happen is I get swamped or flanked by invisible units which magically appear 
I guess I'm just not using the terrain correctly or bunching my units up to close leaving gaps in the line [&:]
First, we go in there and get wrecked, then we eat a pork pie...

Return to “Conquest of the Aegean”