Cold War Clash senario in the making

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design and general game modding. The graphics and scenarios are easily modifiable. Discuss your experiements in this area and get tips and advice!

Moderators: Joel Billings, JanSorensen

Lebatron

RE: Question for changing nations' allegiance

Post by Lebatron »

Ya the 2 or 1 border thing really limits choices. In a lot of cases on the map you can't do what you really want to do. A better system would have allowed each side of a zone to have its own unique movement cost, but that probably would have been more time consuming to program. The 2 or 1 system works well for the most part, as long as the map is designed accordingly.
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
elhior

Post by elhior »

Thank you both!

To begin with, WanderingHead I know I can change the attributes of units in the file you mentioned, but although I did change the UA setting (attack against U Boats) of submarines to 1 or 2 (from 0), the subs still refuse to hit each other[:-]

As for the double borders: if I understand correctly, in order to turn a region's double borders to single border, you have to issue "movecost=1" to ALL its neighbouring regions as well?
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

I imagine that you wish to change Alaska's border to shorten the fight range of SAC bombers. Is that correct? If you wish to do that, you can instead change the sea zones around Alaska back to stock.
elhior

Post by elhior »

That's exactly what I want to do, but I keep trying and nothing happens. I have turned the "movecost=2" to "movecost=1" in 248,249,289,290 and 291 (even 204 and 203) zones, and a heavy bomber from Kamchatka with 6 speed cannot reach Western Canada. What am I doing wrong?[X(]
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

I suggest you look at the original regions file to find your error. I will send you a copy by email now.
elhior

Post by elhior »

It's really strange. What I tried now is to move the heavy bomber from Alaska to the adjacent western sea zone. After I did that, I picked the bomber again, and it could move all the way west of Kamchatka, as if the zones have been turned to single-border ones. Still, if I try to make the move straight from Alaska (without the interval), it can't reach further than west Bering sea. [&:]
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

Subs not targeting subs is a coding issue - you cannot change that with the data files.
elhior

Post by elhior »

Hello,

The placement of forces and the diplomatic status of the various countries are almost ready. Now the victory conditions and the resources / factories remain, along with a LOT of playtesting :)

Another question for the wise men out there: how can I change the order of play? There's a line in gamedata file, which goes like this:
PlayerOrder($PLAYER_GER,$PLAYER_JAP,$PLAYER_SOV,$PLAYER_CHI,$PLAYER_UN,$PLAYER_NEU)

I changed the above setting to suit the mod's needs, but still the sequence of play remains the same. Is there anything else I should change as well?

Thanks in advance! [:)]
JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

I just did a quick test. If I change the order in PlayerOrder to for example Ger, Chi, Jap, Sov, UN that works nicely in the game letting the Chinese move right after the Germans. Thus I am puzzled that it is not working for you.
elhior

Post by elhior »

Thanks again for the immediate reply Jan. It works for me as well now, I just didn't know I had to reload [:D]
elhior

Post by elhior »

Just noticed a question from WanderingHead that I didn't answer:

>I can't seem to find where the world standard is set. Is it just the PLAYER_NEU settings? >Or is it somewhere else?

It's in the "baseline" file!
elhior

Post by elhior »

Hello there,

I'm currently going through the artistic part of my mod. I'm totally useless when it comes to art, so I was thinking of giving this undertaking to a friend of mine. Still, I'm currently finding photos of aircrafts, ships, tanks and subs of the 50s and write them over the game's uints icons (after adapting their size of course).

Right now I'm working on the C:\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's World At War\dat\art\gui\StrategicMap.bmp file. It's the image that appears when you push the "strategic map" button. What I want to do is arrange the flags accordingly, so that instead of the "Allies/China/SU" and "Japan/Germany" sides, there will be the "Allies/Japan" and "SU/China" sides. Even though I changed the picture though, every time I load the game it remains the same old one. Even the total production points remain the same, no matter how many changes I do in every country's resource points etc. Any ideas on why this is happening? [&:] I also changed the "MainMenu.bmp" file to arrange the flags according to the sequence of play, and I encountered no problems.

Thanks for bearing with me [:)]
elhior

Post by elhior »

So... no ideas of why this isn't working? Maybe the program is displaying the data of the resource points at another file, other than the "StrategicMap.bmp" file? That would explain why the resource points remain unchanged, no matter how much I change them in the "regions" file. Still, it doesn't explain why, although I changed the graphics of the "StrategicMap.bmp" file, the image displayed when you run the game remains the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

JanSorensen

Post by JanSorensen »

As far as I can tell you should not edit the file StrategicMap.bmp.

Instead you should edit the component files
- StrategicMap_BOT.bmp
- StrategicMap_MID.bmp
- StrategicMapButton_v2.bmp

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”