H3: DB2000, HUD3, PLAYERS DB, etc ... which one?

Harpoon Ultimate Edition is the best and most comprehensive compilation of computer Harpoon games ever assembled! The two flagship products in the Harpoon line up, Advanced Naval Warfare and Commanders Edition come highly expanded and improved from their previous versions. More than twenty classic versions of Harpoon are also included! Harpoon - Ultimate Edition is the most powerful and complete modern naval warfare simulation on the market and a must have for any Harpoon fan!
rsitaly

H3: DB2000, HUD3, PLAYERS DB, etc ... which one?

Post by rsitaly »

Hello!

There are many databases for H3/H3ANW: DB2000, HUD3, PLAYER DB, etc ... so:

1) Which one is better? which one is more updated?
2) Which one are you using?
3) Any advices?
4) One of the can substitutes the standard ODB?
5) The standard scenarios needed to be aligned with the matching database?

Thanks in advance!

Roberto
uncleharpoon

RE: H3: DB2000, HUD3, PLAYERS DB, etc ... which one?

Post by uncleharpoon »

Your question is a great one, however, there is no clear answer and it hits a bit of a nerve in the Harpoon community.

So basically, they are all free, and several are still kept updated.

We are looking to engage someone to assist in reworking one (can't say which) of the database to coincide with the Official data from Bond/Carlson and until we find that person, you'll have to rely on HUD3, ANWDB, Players DB, or older ones that include DB2000.

Just keep in mind, that the folks who do the databases feel quite a bit of pride in their work and are very opinionated as to what the Harpoon simulation should be and how it should work.  As the keeper of the flame, and checkbook, I can tell you that it is impossible to keep them all happy.  We do the best we can, based on what we think abides by our license constraints and is reasonable. 
rsitaly

Post by rsitaly »

ORIGINAL: uncleharpoon
Your question is a great one, however, there is no clear answer and it hits a bit of a nerve in the Harpoon community.

Thanks for the reply.
I haven't any intention to start a flame war of course!
I asked that questions because I have a very limited knowledge of H3, not for the game itself (I know it well), but for all the databases around ... the only one I know since the past was the DB2000; the other ones are new to me because I decided to stay with the Classic version and only on the recent days, after having bought the ULTIMATE edition, I decided to try H3 again.
The last H3 version I played was the 3.6 and I used the DB2000 ... I had never tried ANW before and many years are passed since I played H3.

Roberto
uncleharpoon

Post by uncleharpoon »

The two most updated are HUD3 and PDB (for v3.10). 

Just remember the caveat that the database can really impact simulation performance, so "most realistic" can't really be applied (and we all hope it never, never, never, can be).

BTW: if you like writing scenarios, we are converting a series of battles from Harold Hutchinson's "Strike Group Reagan" book (Amazon.com) to Harpoon scenarios.  We are working on the logistics of this, but it's a great way to get "published".  Harold has provided permission, as well as some paper Harpoon scenarios (as a starting point) AND some outlines.  But he didn't cover it all so it's a great opportunity to get involved!  The HUD3 database is the target DB to expand to cover Harold's platforms.

But... remember.... it's a GAME, have fun, learn a few things, then have a life!!!!!  I do! 

rjantzi

Post by rjantzi »

Which database comes with the Ultimate Edition version of the game and should a new player consider loading one of the optional ones or work to learn the game with the DB that comes with it?
uncleharpoon

Post by uncleharpoon »

We shipped a HUD3 dated November 2010, and an ANWDB that is older. A HUD3 update is underway.

PDB is updated more frequently, and is supported by their community.

TonyE

Post by TonyE »

http://harpgamer.com/harpforum/index.ph ... st&p=27113 might provide some background. That whole thread is pretty useful imho, especially for the new scenario designer in each of you!

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner
FreekS

Post by FreekS »

1) Which one is better? which one is more updated?
2) Which one are you using?
3) Any advices?
4) One of the can substitutes the standard ODB?
5) The standard scenarios needed to be aligned with the matching database?
Hi,
1. Lets not go into which is better!
2. I use PlayersDB. I have designed scens with other DBs also but found I like PlayersDB because it is very well supported, it is easy to get new platforms added to the database and it has a maintenance philosophy that minimizes work i need to do on my (more than 50) old scenarios.
3. My advise would be to try a few databases and judgefor yourself. Basically inthe end what matters is how much fun you have designing scens, and the choice of database is just an enabler. All databases have a number of loyal designers and a number of loyal players. PlayersDB currently also have a Multiplayer server running.
4. Yes each scenario must specifically be used with the database version that it was made with. The two must match exactly, so you should either always download the latest scen and database, or download them all accasionally and stick with it. PlayersDB uses a simple to use installer to allow you to install the database as well as all scenarios in one step.

Anyhow, select whichever you want, and enjoy designing
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I use both official databases, HUD 3 and ANW DB. Regarding HUD 3, I use the version 1.5.0 which was delivered with HUE. I don´t use any newer version, they crash in scenedit. ANW DB currently has far less units compared to HUD 3. The old Standard Database is obsolete and not longer maintained by AGSI.

For both of them, HUD 3 and ANW DB, major updates are underway.

And I know at least one very experienced Harpooner who sticks to db2000, V 10 as of 2006. db2000 is, IMHO, the most precise Harpoon Database ever, but hasn´t been maintained for several years now.

It is a matter of fact, as Don pointed out, that PDB is the only database regularly maintained, with constantly produced scenarios and supported by an own MP server.

Return to “Larry Bond's Harpoon - Ultimate Edition”