Different day different outcomes

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises
wga8888

Different day different outcomes

Post by wga8888 »

In my limited play of 6 games vs 4 opponents in the May-June 1942 timeframes, my Allies try to avoid a CV slugfest in this early months while at the same time attempt to impede progress of the IJA/IJN. To date there have been three Coral Sea battles with range of outcomes. A) Both Shokakus sunk, Lexington sunk, crippled Yorktown sinks after gliding into the Cairns hex seven days after the battle. B) Both Shokakus damaged (9 and 4 bomb hits) and both USN CVs also survive ( 8 and 0 bomb hits). Three of which are out of action for awhile. Shoho looking like a super-carrier if the only one on immediate area. This battle was conducted at range 8 on opposite sides of New Guinea, all bombs. Also this one is a scenario 19 so most of the IJN is expected to appear in theatre at some point. C) both USN CVs lost with entire airgroups for 2 bomb hits on the Shoho, the Shokakus were untouched although the USN got off the first strike.
--
The different outcomes will define the USN posture for most of the rest of 1042. As the IJN suspended game A; I am left with a slight positive in B) and a negative position in C). Other two active games have avoided CV battles to date. All of the above were not intentional battles on the USN part, however calculated risks are taken and the opponents plans are unknown.
--
Six games played, four of which are still in progress. I hope to see a game progress into 1943 so as the USN can go on the offensive. At that point the fun may be over for the IJN and perhaps the IJN enthusiasm to continue as well. Same concern for player attrition in future WIPT/AE contest, will the IJ player stick around to see if the USN can actually win on points. For an Allied play to suffer through 500 turns of IJ of dominating all battles, there shouild be hope of playing past mid 1943.
--
Professional German mentality, I will play as long as I am winning but not if a statemate or after I lose the initiative. Playing Barbarosa over and over again as Russian is not much fun for the Russian. As in boardgames, one tends to focus on eliminating enemy units which may not dictate who actually win.
Bill Thomson
wga8888@icloud.com
Discord: wga8888 #7339
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]

Return to “After Action Reports”