Frankenhausen mod - any interest?

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: Ronald Wendt

AngrySwan

Frankenhausen mod - any interest?

Post by AngrySwan »

There was (and still is) a game People's General featuring modern warfare but it has many mods from other times as well. One of them is the battle of Frankenhausen, yes, 16th century!

I guess I will need to inform the authors of the mod and ask for their permission (normally it is always granted if you ask for it, and credits can be given in the scenario description).

Only infantry, horse towed artillery and cavalry is needed. No need for 16th century unit graphics, you can use NATO symbols instead.

That would be a standalone scenario, showing the feudal force as Germans and rebels as Soviets. We do not have Wagenburg - wagons used as fortifications - but there are bunkers.

The weather is always sunny and turns would be hours although they will still be called days by the program.

Would there be any interest in this mod?
The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.
Ronald Wendt

RE: Frankenhausen mod - any interest?

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Hi AngrySwan,

in principle i am interested of battles and warfare of all times and between any groups. So i would like to see new stuff of that kind. I am not familiar with that battle and how well it could work within the GaW engine. So its up to you to decide if its worth the work. If you do it, i can provide German texts if you need them.

Regards,
AngrySwan

Post by AngrySwan »

Hi Ronald,

The idea was inspired by some Landsknecht songs I have in my collection.

To have a really good simulation of an 16th century battle you would need something like Field of Glory.

There could be some problems like short range of artillery in comparison with the battlefield or infantry able to disengage the enemy at any time (in Field of Glory, if the lines meet, they stay in close combat until someone runs). We need to test that. Anyway, Panzer General II has a Napoleonic mod, or several ones, and it is quite playable, maybe not as good as a real Napoleonic game but the player can have fun.

I will see if it is possible to download the installer with the internet I have at home - cafes are closed because of pandemia - and then test how the battle works. If it looks something worth playing we could work on texts and other things.
The art of war is simple and esay to understand but fighting a war is hard.
Ronald Wendt

Post by Ronald Wendt »

Ok, let us know then.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”