New Mod To Tryout

Players can post their mod files here for everyone to download.
PrinceMiskin

RE: New Mod To Tryout

Post by PrinceMiskin »

You may want to convert the El Alamain hex to a fortress, it's more accurate, as it was just a railway station with not any production. :-)

Please email me the files at: princemiskin@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Mysh
dave74

Post by dave74 »

files sent. I take on board your comment as well.
PrinceMiskin

Post by PrinceMiskin »

Hurrayyyyyyy!!! [:D] 
Radar8717

Post by Radar8717 »

Looks fascinating dave74, please send me the files to markschu@hickorytech.net thanks
dave74

Post by dave74 »

sending now radar8717
PrinceMiskin

Post by PrinceMiskin »

Dave,

I have spotted a mistake in your mod. Cyprus is where Crete is and Crete is where Cyprus is. In other words, one is the other. [:)]

Also you may want to be more accurate and use the name of the cities instead of the island name, in this case the main city is Heraklion for Crete -it's exactly where you've placed it- and Nicosia (or Lefkosia) for Cyprus - again location is very correct.

Also Salonika, is not a fortress. [:-] This is where I come from! [:D] It's an 1,000,000 people city!

I am certain about the info I am passing you, because I am Greek. [;)]

Thanks!
dave74

Post by dave74 »

i will chabge these if they are wrong but they are only names and should not affect the gameplay.
PrinceMiskin

Post by PrinceMiskin »

Thanks Dave! [;)]
dave74

Post by dave74 »

let me know of any others you find.

hope you are enjoying the mod!
PrinceMiskin

Post by PrinceMiskin »

yup. just sent you an email.
Vypuero

Post by Vypuero »

I made Salonika a fortress to represent the Metaxis line.  It is such a large scale that I combined them.
PrinceMiskin

Post by PrinceMiskin »

Well... Metaxas Line was badly undermanned, since all Greek forces were fighting the Italians at Albania. It felt within three days... I don't think it even needs to be mentioned, while "Salonika" or better "Thessaloniki" has been there for almost three thousand years. [:D]

I still believe it's the wrong hex. Please see attachment for more details. If you want to incorporate "Metaxas" Line, which I wouldn't recommend maybe put a fortress with a garrison inside -as it was undermanned- to the square adjacent to "Thessaloniki".

For more information about the battle of Greece, you may want to check this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Greece

Attachments
Battle_of_..ce_-1941.jpg
Battle_of_..ce_-1941.jpg (155.39 KiB) Viewed 200 times
Vypuero

Post by Vypuero »

Really - I have of course looked at this - and stand by my placement, overall.  It does have a Garrison unit.  Do you think I put the city in the wrong spot?  I just feel that since we have this very high scale, you must consolidate things.  This consolidates the whole area.  Also, if the Axis lands and cuts off a route to Greece, this way the Greek forces can still get supplies.  The reality is I never bother with it at all, but it could be used for an invasion later, and as a base for ships.

Also - you can see it is smack in the middle of two fortified areas to the East and West, so it is representative of those.
Peter Stauffenberg

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

ORIGINAL: dave74

Sweden -

Hi. Interesting additions everywhere on the map. I would like to comment upon the placement of Stavanger
(not Stavenger). It's located further to the north and west. You can place it 1xN+1xNW of the current
location.

Bergen is also located too far south. The current location is on the peninsula the town Haugesund is located.
So Bergen could place 1xN. That gives you space to move Stavanger.

Trondheim should be placed a bit to the east. This town has a port as well. During the war the Germans built
an important submarine naval base. They built 2 huge concrete submarine bunkers called Dora 1 and Dora 2.
They were so impenetrable that the Norwegians were unable to destroy them after the war. So Dora 1 and Dora
2 still exist today. I think they're used as warehouses on the harbor now. Move the city 1xNE and add a port there.

Oslo also has a big port. I live here so I should know. ;) You can help adding the port (because the port will block
access to Oslo for bombardment by moving the Norwegian / Swedish border one hex south. That gives the
German a chance to invade both south east and south west of Oslo when he wants to conquer Norway. It's not
wrong that Oslo can't be bombarded by warships prior to an invasion. The coastal fortress Oscarsborg a little
south of Oslo located in the Oslo fjord was a major obstacle for the Germans. The heavy cruiser Blücher was
sunk trying to sail past Oscarsborg and other warships were destroyed. This delayed the invasion of Oslo for
at least a day giving the Norwegian King and Government enough time to escape to Britain.

The Germans could only sail past Oscarsborg until after it had been bombed by the Luftwaffe for quite some time.
The strange thing is that the fortress were not very damaged after this bombardment. I've been there and looked
at the damage myself. Today Oscarsborg is a military museum. But since the German paratroopers had landed at
Fornebu (airfield just outside of Oslo) and marched into Oslo unopposed the Germans captured Oslo only some
hours after they first intended. Why the Norwegians didn't park e. g. a lorry on the airfield strip to block landings
beats me. But the Norwegian resistance the first days after 9th April 1940 was not the best.

The Government was on the run and couldn't coordinate anything. One strange thing about the Oscarsborg bombings
was when the German commander entered Oscarsborgto to talk with the Norwegian fortress commander and asked
where he could find the Norwegian killed and wounded so they could be taken care of (treated and buried) the
answer was that the heavy German bombing didn't produce any casualties. Why Oscarsborg stopped working as a
fortress I don't know. It was fully operable when the Germans captured it. Maybe it has something to do with lack
of orders from the Norwegian military high command. They were taken by surprise and didn't perform well at all.
The only reason Oscarsborg sunk Blücher was that the fortress commander took matter in his own hands and didn't
wait for permission to fire. He ordered the fire of several torpedoes when he saw several dark naval warships
sailing towards Oslo.

Gothenburg has a big port as well. I've been there and know it's one of the bigger ports of Scandinavia. If you
move the city 1xSW you have space to add a port there.

If you're keen to add many ports then you should consider adding Turku (coastal city with a port) and Tampere
(inland city) in Finland as well. They were the second and third biggest cities in Finland at the time of WW2.

IrishGuards

Post by IrishGuards »

PBEM or Tcp/ip .. for this Mod .. anyone looking for games ...
Send an email ... tjanderson@rogers.com
IDG
Richtschuetze

Post by Richtschuetze »

Hello Dave!
The screens look great. Could you please mail me the files as well? I've just so easily won the German campaign on normal difficulty (conquered Washington in Feb. 1945) that I think the game needs to be modded.
By the way, there's another topographic error on the map: southwest of Stalingrad along the Don river there are two ocean hexes. Those represent the Zimljansk Reservoir. The reservoir was built after WW2 (by German POW, by the way) and should not be on the map.

Here's my e-mail: uli@urieger.de

Thanks!
Greetings,
Uli
"Durchbrechen, umfassen!"
MemoryLeak

Post by MemoryLeak »

Dave -- I'd like to try the mod too. Thanks in advance.

email lswanson@yccesa.org
If you want to make GOD laugh, tell him your future plans

USS Long Beach CGN-9
RM2 1969-1973
Dahnyul

Post by Dahnyul »

Thank you for your work on this mod Dave.

Please provide me with the files.
my email is dahnyul@gmail.com
Hello, Buddy the Elf. What's your favorite color?
Bigfish

Post by Bigfish »

Some of my test results of this mod:
Playing axis side, balance is even, time ist october 40 now.

Taking Poland: 3 turns - like the original game

Conquered Paris early in march 40 - also Holland, Belgium, Denmark and Norway ist still mine. Italy is about to capture Cairo and Port Said within the next two or three turns i hope.

The german army is gowing up fastly. I lost 3 subs but still have six underway also one battleship. In the pipe are two subs one battleship and one carrier(!)

Also there are six additional infantry corps, four additional armoured corps.

German air force is about four fighters,three tac bombers also there are two fighters and one strategic bomber in the pipe.

The british air force is no longer(!) But there are lots of ground forces at the british isle - invading england would be a hard job. Royal Navy takes heavily damage in convoi battles: One Battleship unit is sunk, also two destroyer units while two carriers, one battleship and two destroyers take heavy damage.

Everything is going fine for axis execpt the oil(!)

This is the major problem of the mod - with the shorter turns and the higher amount of production points it is possible to build a huge army but the oil reserves could not keep up with so many units. Oil is in this mod a bigger problem as in the original game.

With enough oil i would be able to finish the british ground forces with my air. But i have to stop the air raids now for saving oil - I need it for the east front next year...

... to be continued...
mitxel

Post by mitxel »

Thank you for this mod Dave74.

Please provide me with the files.
my email is miguel@puntomega.es

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”