Guns of August - AAR as Central Powers v Triple Entente AI with bonus

Post descriptions and reports of your brilliant successes and unfortunate defeats here.
Energisteron

RE: Guns of August - AAR as Central Powers v Triple Entente AI with bonus

Post by Energisteron »

Romanian Front

This was once considered by the CP as a promising Front with which to turn Russia's flank. Yet the Russian military proved able to bolster the Romanian forces which had been almost wiped out, and to hold the country, including liberating its capital, Bucharest.

However, Bulgaria was never seriously threatened, and experienced a single minor incursion by Romanian units towards Varna which was easily pushed back.

Attachments
RomF_end.jpg
RomF_end.jpg (131.95 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

Southern Balkan Front

Serbia, of course, had long since capitulated, which permitted the CP to advance into Romania and Greece. Salonika was held by 3 Italian Corps for the TE, but these were pushed back leaving the Greeks themselves to defend the road to Athens.

Attachments
GrkF_end.jpg
GrkF_end.jpg (115.14 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

Caucasus Front

Very little happened here throughout the entire war.

Initially Turkey advanced unopposed across the frontier then dug-in. Neither side then conducted an offensive here till the final month of the war. It was something of a surprise that the Turks carried the position.

In southern Iraq, both sides garrisoned the border with Kuwait, but neither side made a move.

Attachments
CauF_end.jpg
CauF_end.jpg (97.02 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

Egyptian Front

I was expecting this to be the Palestinian Front but Britain paid little attention to this far flung outpost, and conceded the Suez Canal, and Cairo without a fight. All the Turks could do was dig-in to defend their slight gain and ensure the TE were forced to maintain a garrison in Alexandria. This bottled-up about 5 British Corps.

Attachments
EgyF_end.jpg
EgyF_end.jpg (88.57 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

Afterthoughts!

Where did I go wrong? Could I have done better? Did the AI fight a challenging game?

Yes, I made some mistakes. I was too timid in the face of the British Navy and should have chanced more naval involvement and sent out more blockade runners. Even more so, I should have absolutely maximised the number of U-boats I deployed in the Atlantic at the expense of a couple of Infantry Corps.

On land, once my initial rush into Picardy failed to threaten Paris I knew I was beaten in the West. I did cause delay after delay, and tremendous casualties to the Entente but gradually I was worn down. Attrition works! Perhaps I should have withdrawn and counterattacked as the TE followed-up before they could dig-in. I can't think what else I could have done.

In the East, I gave far too much initiative to Russia and for far too long. By chasing dreams in the West I delayed reinforcing the East sufficiently and Russia had most of Galicia and its full strength when I turned on her. I really should have inflicted such casualties in the East that Russian morale collapsed and caused revolution, but I never came near.

The Balkans were never going to create a war winning manoeuvre, but by trying to kill Serbia quickly, and failing, again it gave Russia respite to complete her occupation of Galicia.

By the time the Italians joined in we were so weakened we could not even hold our line. And to think the US were hardly committed! Turkey as an ally was of little use militarily. Could Turkey have done more in the Caucasus?

So, yes, I could have done better, but to see out the time limit of November 1918 would be quite a success I think.

The AI, with its bonus was quite a formidable opponent. It would have been nice to have the option of a 25% bonus instead of 50%!

Overall, very enjoyable, even though, not unexpectedly, I lost.

Thanks for watching.
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

Thanks for a very entertaining and informative AAR and amazing how much value there is in an old game.

The WEGO system, with all the realistic uncertainty that it brings, does make you more cautious, you don't have that god-like control that turn based games provide.

I have posted an AAR for Frank Hunter's 'Campaigns on the Danube' and I know that I was too timid, although achieving a small marginal victory I knew that the heavy losses likely in any big battle would wreck everything. WEGO faces you with the same uncertainties experienced by the historical commanders and the caution that results.

GoA has always been on the back burner, with so many other titles to play, but your AAR proves that this game deserves more attention.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
Energisteron

Post by Energisteron »

You are welcome. It was great fun playing the game and reporting on it 'live'.
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

Great AAR, thank you!
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
fondfoat

Post by fondfoat »

Thanks. I have just bought the game based on your review and AAR. Perhaps we can play each other one day :)

Return to “After Action Reports”