Rock Paper Shotgun Article

Frank Hunter's Campaigns on the Danube is an operational study of the campaigns along the Danube in 1805 and 1809. Campaigns on the Danube's system focuses on trying to present the player with the same sort of decisions placed on their historical counterparts; how to feed an army and move that army according to a plan, all the while trying to fight a campaign. There is also an option to allow players to play out the battles with miniatures and input the results.
IslandInland

Rock Paper Shotgun Article

Post by IslandInland »

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/1 ... peedboats/

Reading this convinced me to buy the game during the Matrix Christmas sale.

War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2
Rasputitsa

RE: Rock Paper Shotgun Article

Post by Rasputitsa »

Good review, which does justice to the enjoyment and challenges in the game.

I need to get back to the AARs running with the game, but suffered a major crash with 'Windows 10'. I didn't lose any of the CotD material, but had to put the rest of the system back together. Also had some family medical problems, but hope to get back to the action soon.
"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon
pzgndr

Post by pzgndr »

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa
I need to get back to the AARs running with the game, but suffered a major crash with 'Windows 10'.

Been there, done that; had to completely reinstall Windows 10 and my programs a couple months ago. [:@][:@][:@]

Looking forward to more AARs, but really looking forward to hearing from Frank about the next game!
Bill Macon
Empires in Arms Developer
Strategic Command Developer
Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

ORIGINAL: pzgndr

Looking forward to more AARs, but really looking forward to hearing from Frank about the next game!

Same here, hoping that the 'Elbe Campaign' might be coming, as it was reported to be ready after 'Piercing Fortress Europa' was released, hope that this is true. [:)]

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

Rasputitsa

Post by Rasputitsa »

I particularly like this comment from the review :

When I grumbled about the lack of formation movement and delegation options in Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa, what I was picturing was an approach very like CotD’s. Here there’s no need to laboriously manoeuvre every counter every turn. Because you’re a military commander not a chess player, a few clicks in a bigwig’s order menu suffice.

'Decisive Campaigns' is one of the better offerings, but it would be great to have a corps level WW2 Eastern Front, full campaign, in a similar WEGO game system to CotD. Realistic decision making, without having to shovel numerous counters around, working as a proper command system and should be playable in one lifetime.

Up to now I have been getting my Grand Strategy Campaign fix from Frank's 'Guns of August', old and clunky, but a real brain teaser, lots of planning, than even more planning and WEGO surprises.[:)]

IslandInland

Post by IslandInland »

I'm really enjoying Campaigns On The Danube. It's a palate cleanser between spending time on the Western and Eastern fronts in WITW, WITE and DC:B.

I really wish Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa had the ability to designate army groups to subordinates (i.e. the AI). I'm supposed to be the commander of OKH yet I am moving individual divisions around.

War In The East 2 & Steel Inferno Expansion Beta Tester
War In The West Operation Torch Beta Tester
Strategic Command American Civil War Beta Tester
XXXCorps
1941 Hitler's Dream Scenario for WITE 2

Return to “Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809”