Play along with me! - Global War Solitaire AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

Majorball68

RE: Play along with me! - Global War Solitaire AAR

Post by Majorball68 »

Been waiting 10 years for this version. I would have paid a lot more for the game than I did. Understand your frustration but where else do you get prompt replies from the guys doing the testing and fixes like you do here. Cant imagine the number of combinations or the amount of game time required to try and test every little thing. Can take hours to play some turns and you are only doing a fraction of what you a capable of each turn.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Majorball68

Been waiting 10 years for this version. I would have paid a lot more for the game than I did. Understand your frustration but where else do you get prompt replies from the guys doing the testing and fixes like you do here. Cant imagine the number of combinations or the amount of game time required to try and test every little thing. Can take hours to play some turns and you are only doing a fraction of what you a capable of each turn.
warspite1

+1
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

ORIGINAL: AxelNL
ORIGINAL: Zartacla

Production:
Germany, down to 34 - 3 pilots, 2 sub, Lnd (4), 2 Lnd (2), Ftr (3), 2 Ftr (2), Kesselring, Arm

Ok this is odd. I went back and double checked, and my records show that I built Kesselring last turn, but he's in my available build pool again. Even worse, I just double checked, and he's back in the force pool now, after building him (and paying the build points) but Mannerheim was built instead. When I chose to build an Inf HQ, Kesselring was the one that was removed from the force pool. It appears that this turn, he was swapped out for Mannerheim after I approved the builds, but no idea what happened to him the previous turn. I'll post a save file at the end of production if anyone wants to look into this.

The picking of builds is random. When hitting the final acceptance of your builds the game does the real random drawing of units. This behaviour is documented, and prevents picking a nice unit above another by repeatingly canceling a draw inside the production window. You can off-course use the save-reload scenario to get Kesselring, but I think WiF was meant to be played using these random draws.

re: your Ozzie inf placement. I will try to run your latest savegame against the beta version of the coming release this evening, Placing units problems has been a major content in this release.

I ran your last gamesave. Had to click through Ger/Jap/CW (8!) pilot assignments (never played with pilots) and could place the Ozzie unit without any trouble. This is with the latest betaversion, soon to be released by Steve.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

1.10 is being made available.
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Setting up to try taking the next turn now!
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

It seems to have solved the problem by moving the Australian units to the Jul/Aug reinforcement pool. Hopefully when I get to Jul/Aug, they aren't just moved to S/O.
Head Geek in Charge at politigeek.net - the intersection of politics and all things geeky
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

The allies win the initiative roll and the Axis win the forced reroll, swinging the initiative marker squarely into the Allied side. A 6 on the weather dice means fair weather everywhere but the N Monsoon. Can the Axis break the Russian line in the south before mounting pressure from the US forces them to bring the troops home?

While reacquainting myself with the Japanese position before selecting their action for the impulse, I run into our first bug (an oldie but goodie!). Looks like this may be an extension of the Chinese supply bug.

In the picture below, Yamamoto is sitting on a rail line that traces a clean supply line back to the coast. He should be in supply but is not. The rail line passes through 2 ZOC'd hexes, but friendly units occupy the ZOC'd hexes so supply should pass through them without problem, and even if it didn't, the supply line could go around the ZOCs by jumping the rails. Here's the good news for the beta testers - I don't even have to post a new save! Just take the last save, run through reinforcements, and look at Manchuria.

Attachments
supplyproblem.jpg
supplyproblem.jpg (409.24 KiB) Viewed 462 times
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Japan takes a combined, Germany takes a land. Italy would love to take a land action as well, but really needs to reestablish supply to Libya. And I really thought that Gibraltar was a secondary supply source... the entire German navy and most of the Italian air force is currently out of supply. Need to shift an HQ down there. Unfortunately, unless the overseas supply bug has been fixed, this means that this turn supply will only be reestablished for the Italian units in and around Gibraltar, not the Germans. Anyway, Italy takes a combined.

The Italian fleet, with an infantry loaded onto an amphib, sails out to the western med. And lo and behold, although not mentioned in the patch notes, it appears that overseas supply is fixed! The good boys in Gibraltar are suddenly back in action.

Japan sails an infantry into Canton. Not taking Hong Kong on the invasion impulse was an oversight born of inexperience, but I'm going to rectify that now. Yamashita sails into southern Siam, laying the ground work for a Japanese attack on Singapore and points west.

3 groundstrikes lead to two air to air battles. In Russia, German Stukas fly unopposed over General Zhukov, stacked with 2 other units. Italians attempt to groundstrike Monty in Tangiers, and everyone wants in on the action. And in Kamchatka, a dogfight breaks out southwest of Khabarovsk.

The Russians manage to send one Japanese bomber home before being aborted themselves, and 2 bombers clear through. Here's what happens when Italy tries to Rock the Casbah

Attachments
rockthecasbah.jpg
rockthecasbah.jpg (243.3 KiB) Viewed 462 times
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

The Jap HQ is suffering from the Overseas Supply bug, it looks like. That is not fixed yet, workaround is reloading or picking it up.

Supply to Gibraltar is suddenly established due to a recalculation, I think.

Nice to see you going again!

Edit: total revamp of this message
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

As badly as the Germans rolled against Zhukov, the Italians and the Japanese did even worse - flipping no units. Still, shooting down the British fighter was a win for the Axis.

Attachments
badrolls.jpg
badrolls.jpg (285.9 KiB) Viewed 462 times
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Looks like the Overseas Supply bug. Does reloading help?

No. But picking him up and dropping him again does. Which confirms it's the same bug as the Bermuda triangle bug in China, which is not the same as the overseas supply bug in north Africa - which appears to be fixed, anyway.
AxelNL

Post by AxelNL »

Looks like the Overseas Supply bug. Does reloading help?

No. But picking him up and dropping him again does. Which confirms it's the same bug as the Bermuda triangle bug in China, which is not the same as the overseas supply bug in north Africa - which appears to be fixed, anyway.

I'm afraid it is not fixed, and I think the Bermuda TriBug is on top of that.
What you experience being fixed is probably regular supply recalculation, which also helps.
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

The Japanese occupy Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur. Germans make small advances in the north and set up for a few attacks - primarily the hex next to Zhukov.

And.. we have another bug. Back at the start of the land move phase, Italian units overran the Spanish navy, then intercepted it on its way to a new port. All 4 ships were either damaged or aborted, and we did a return to port digression at the end of combat. Italy ended its movement phase, Germany did its entire movement phase, Japan did its movement phase. When I ended the Japanese movement phase, the return to base digression form came back up, with one Spanish ship in it.

None of the buttons in the form do anything. It won't let me move the ship into the group to be aborted, it won't let me close out the window. It has also hijacked the game so that I can't access the main menu - can't save the game, can't close the game, can't close the window, I had to ctrl-alt-delete and force close the game. Obviously, I can't provide a save file.

Attachments
navalbug.jpg
navalbug.jpg (162.47 KiB) Viewed 461 times
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

I was able to get around it by loading the air transport cap autosave. Back to the war, then:

In the Med, Italian infantry sailing with the fleet attempt to land on Malta. With Britain out of the Med, it's an easy win for the Italians. Here's the situation on the Russian front:

3 German attacks, plus another by the Finns on one of the border hexes.

Attachments
russianfront.jpg
russianfront.jpg (306.19 KiB) Viewed 462 times
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Germany and Russia fight for control of the skies - The Germans clear through their bomber, and the Russian bomber is blown from the sky. Good news for the Luftwaffe, who is still struggling to get their units to the front lines.

Attachments
funtimes.jpg
funtimes.jpg (215.14 KiB) Viewed 461 times
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Zhukov is surrounded and put out of supply

Attachments
zhukov.jpg
zhukov.jpg (61.23 KiB) Viewed 461 times
Cad908

Post by Cad908 »

And.. we have another bug. Back at the start of the land move phase, Italian units overran the Spanish navy, then intercepted it on its way to a new port. All 4 ships were either damaged or aborted, and we did a return to port digression at the end of combat. Italy ended its movement phase, Germany did its entire movement phase, Japan did its movement phase. When I ended the Japanese movement phase, the return to base digression form came back up, with one Spanish ship in it.

None of the buttons in the form do anything. It won't let me move the ship into the group to be aborted, it won't let me close out the window. It has also hijacked the game so that I can't access the main menu - can't save the game, can't close the game, can't close the window, I had to ctrl-alt-delete and force close the game. Obviously, I can't provide a save file.
Zartacla,

The sequence

overrun naval unit - intercept it during rebase - sustains an abort in that naval combat

is a Dracula bug. Steve put a stake in its heart a couple of time already, but it manages to resurface when more coding is done to naval combat sequence of play. We have test files on this, so missing the save is not critical. You cannot get around this only avoid the issue for now (have the overrun capture/destroy the naval unit or no interception).

Again, sorry.

-Rob
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

The Axis move some air units forward, and step off the stage.

Russia takes a land action, unsurprisingly. Also unsurprisingly, the Yankees and the Brits take naval actions.

Spotting a weakness in the Japanese position, the Americans sail the pacific fleet, loaded down with 2 corps of marines, into the Marshalls. The Japanese have left Kwajalein open. However the US can't invade this impulse, so the Japanese have a shot at fixing the problem. Still, it's better to make them react to us instead of the other way around.

Russian and British bombers hit factories in France and Poland, costing Germany 2 production points. But German fighters shoot down a long range British fighter in the process.

Russian Tactical bombers target German HQ's, but have no luck. That's what they get for letting the Japanese train their pilots, I reckon.

The Japanese units just outside of Manchuria that should be in supply are once again not in supply. This is the real problem with the workaround for the Bermuda triangle bug - it might get you back in supply long enough to move, but then you're out of supply again on the other side's turn and you can't do anything about it. In this case it won't matter since Russia is out of air missions and can't ground strike Yamamoto, but there are times where it is a serious problem.

Although the Russians have a solid line in Bessarabia, they need to pull back now or risk being encircled. This is probably the only way the Germans were going to be able to break through that line.

They leave behind a few screening units to slow the Germans down, and head for the river line.

Attachments
retreat.jpg
retreat.jpg (312.55 KiB) Viewed 462 times
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

The allies move a few air units into north Africa, and the impulse ends. Save file below.
Attachments
AARMJ421.zip
(1.6 MiB) Downloaded 4 times
joshuamnave

Post by joshuamnave »

Not a good impulse for the allies.... here's the destroyed pool from the first full impulse of M/J 42. The good news for Russia is that the weather for the next impulse is bad... rain in the N Temp and Storm in the arctic. The Germans have not had good luck on the weather dice this game.

Attachments
deadpoolMJ421.jpg
deadpoolMJ421.jpg (82.84 KiB) Viewed 462 times

Return to “After Action Report”