TOP SECRET ORMSTER + WARSPITE ONLY

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

warspite1

RE: 4 player E-mail: Allied Only AAR

Post by warspite1 »

Sep/Oct 1939
Impulse: 2

The US Entry for the CW is a 5 and the entry level falls from 17 to 15.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Sep/Oct 1939
Impulse: 2

Right then, after the first round of naval combat - and the surprise throws for round 2 - the Allies are in the stickiest situation since sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.

Oh well..... here we go into battle........

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

...well I think we got away with one there - I had visions of the Queens and Gort at the bottom of the sea. Mind you, we were unlucky with Blucher and failed to get at the German Convoys in the Baltic so perhaps we were owed one.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

But if we did get away with one, that was not the case in China. The Japanese leaving two artillery together like that was a big mistake, but sadly for the Allies - and the Communists in particular - the Japanese have gotten away with it.

Orm

Post by Orm »

Yea. We were bad Generals doing that attack. Huge mistake.

But if the die had rolled a 9 instead of a two then you would have been a genius and I would be admired just by standing close.

[:D]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

A government is a body of people; usually, notably, ungoverned.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

Yea. We were bad Generals doing that attack. Huge mistake.

But if the die had rolled a 9 instead of a two then you would have been a genius and I would be admired just by standing close.

[:D]
warspite1

Indeedily - same as it ever was [:)]

I think everything has to be geared to as early a US entry as possible now or this could be a very quick victory for the forces of evil....

brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I'd buck up a little. The ChiComms are in a bad spot but the Japanese could have been in an even better spot. They will waste their first good weather roll simply getting to positions they could already hold with a better set-up designed to exploit their win vs. Mao.

The Allied up-side to a German attack in the West in 1939 is indeed accelerated US Entry - good chits can combine with bad weather to leave the feldgrau guys back to historical start lines with a now not-sleepy Uncle Sam.

There are several more critical die rolls to go in this high-risk German strategy, and it could yet rain in China too.
Orm

Post by Orm »

Thank you, brian, for the encouragement. [:)]
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

The France only declaration that you suspect is indeed likely. If this is so, given what we know now about surprise, having the French subs at sea is not ideal.

May be the French will need to do a combined to get one of them out of the Western Med or Italian Coast?

When would you advise a Persian attack? It would be good to get it out of the way early, although US entry is crucial of course.

I will need one Soviet move for Eastern Poland, but I guess that does have to be next impulse. The Communists will only need a maximum of two moves!

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I think the French should do a combined and try and destroy the Italian division in Algeria.

For that I will need the CW to put to sea in the Western Med and use a convoy point to put the French Corps in supply. The Force du Raide will also put to sea.

With some luck (and we are due some on the naval interception front given the last impulse) we could get a 5:1 attack.

In France itself I rail a unit to Bilotte from the south and reorganise two Infantry using both HQ. This of course is far from ideal but even a land with the French is not going to alter the position much. Besides, we have to try and hurt the Italians for their impudence.

With the Soviet Union I think we should try and get Persia out of the way by starting this this impulse. Big question is whether I seek Eastern Poland - or we take advantage of the failed attack on Lodz and keep Smigly-Rydz in play?

I am assuming you will do a naval with the CW? We could land the British Army in Holland but this seems a waste and every impulse we have to be in a position to try and end the turn and of course, in the words of The Cure, say Prayers for Rain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtQOlErK2bI

What a stonkingly good toon.

Orm

Post by Orm »

and keep Smigly-Rydz in play?
No point in keeping the Polish HQ around since we play with the oil rule. It is almost impossible to get oil to any Polish units in order to get the oil dependent units reorganized.

So, with the oil rule in play, the Polish HQ and their aircraft, are one time use only. Sad, but true. Before the oil rule I stayed and fought with the Polish aircraft most of the time. Now it is the reverse.

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

As can be imagined with the situation as it is, there has been lots of discussion flowing back and forth between London and Paris.

The upshot is that despite calls from Paris for an offensive in Algeria (for which CW support and a French Combined impulse is required) Daladier has accepted that a Land offensive is the way to go as this allows additional rail and reorganisation capability.

The CW also want to get British troops ashore on the continent and so a naval will not be possible this impulse.

The Soviet attack on Persia may have to wait. We shall see what Adolf wants to do about Bessarabia first.

Orm

Post by Orm »

The Soviet attack on Persia may have to wait.
I would say so. The South part of Persia is within the CW sphere of interest. Therefore I suggest that you wait until we are ready to do our part in securing the safety of the Persian people.

brian brian

Post by brian brian »

vs. a Fall Gelb plan where Poland is just screened, the CW can rail their oil from Persia to Poland and the Polish oil-dependent units can re-organize at the end of Nov/Dec.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

vs. a Fall Gelb plan where Poland is just screened, the CW can rail their oil from Persia to Poland and the Polish oil-dependent units can re-organize at the end of Nov/Dec.
warspite1

That is good to know - otherwise playing with oil makes makes Poland too predictable and lessens downside for any German playing with a west-first strategy.

Ormster we should look at this situation again with this in mind. The Germans have a major head start in the west - we need to make them pay in the east by keeping the Poles in play as long as possible.

brian brian

Post by brian brian »

I mostly want to hand out tips for the future; I thought the Polish air had already been interned. Now the Soviet DoW made the idea for your current game a moot point.

I also try to clarify things in the AAR threads for when I can see a player is unable to execute their plan due to the learning curve of the many, many rules. With that in mind, I suggest that it would be a good time for STAVKA to learn about the Emergency HQ Supply rules, as they have likely forgotten about the Limited Overseas Supply optional.

Edit: though after a closer look at the map, Red Army just might be able to maneuver around without Emergency measures.
Orm

Post by Orm »

I suggest that it would be a good time for STAVKA to learn about the Emergency HQ Supply rules
We play without emergency HQ Supply.

Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: brian brian

Nice idea. Although it is just as likely that you just give Germany one extra oil since much can happen during the turn when the oil is saved.

brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Very true. You can play wargames in two ways - I might lose if I do that, or I might win. The CW can afford the oil.

I've been fairly surprised at how the AARs recently have embraced the Fall Gelb strategy so much, as if there is nothing the Allies can do about that option.

The Poles can also fight in the Baltic and take potshots at the German lift hiding there...
brian brian

Post by brian brian »

Ahh, STAVKA did prepare a little shipping in the Caspian, well done. I'd build 2 more CP there...

Return to “After Action Report”