WPP Beta 3 - Taking Bandar Lampu

Stop here if you are eager to try in advance new patches!
kennonlightfoot

WPP Beta 3 - Taking Bandar Lampu

Post by kennonlightfoot »

It still can be taken on first turn. I don't know whether that was intended or not. But the Japanese can get a 5:1 odds attack against it with enough movement left to occupy it after the defender retreats. I didn't repeat enough to verify that the defender will always retreat.

The hex SW of Batavia is no longer a coastal so a landing can't be made there to take the mine hex. Which means the south coast of the islands can no longer be invaded on first turn.

The main purpose of taking Bandar is to cut off supplies to Singapore so this isn't critical since there is another port that is required for this and that doesn't fall until second turn.

Attachments
Bandar.jpg
Bandar.jpg (41.86 KiB) Viewed 404 times
Kennon
ncc1701e

RE: WPP Beta 3 - Taking Bandar Lampu

Post by ncc1701e »

Who is playing the Japanese? You or the A.I.?
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
kennonlightfoot

Playing hot seat so I can control what is happening so I did the Japanese move. Haven't done the Allied yet.
Kennon
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

You will need to commit more forces than a single division. The goal of the patch is also to balance both sides. The more units in DEI, the less in Australia, India or elsewhere... The goal is to slow down the Japanese.

Attachments
BandarLampung.jpg
BandarLampung.jpg (134.21 KiB) Viewed 404 times
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
kennonlightfoot

Well, I can take it with one. Two will be a sure thing on Turn 1.

If the objective is to prevent it from being taken on first turn then some changes required.

1. Take beach away that is NE of Bandar. This will prevent landing, force a retreat, and still have movement to occupy port.

2. Put a strong unit in Bandar so Japanese can't get 5:1 + odds. This may be difficult without giving Dutch to large of Corps. Since as you pointed out you can get two units into the attack if both invasion hexes to the NE are available.

But I don't really see the need. Unless you are going to make it so difficult that the Japanese can't take it by Turn 3, there is little point since the Japanese can't take the third port needed, Kuala Lumpur, to isolate Singapore until Turn 2 anyway.

We have to watch out for handicapping the Japanese to much. The main purpose of this is to slow the Japanese down to give India a chance to survive. Historically, the Japanese invaded rather late, Feb 28th, but it only took them a little over a month to conquer DEI, surrender on Mar 9th. Players invade as early as possible because there are artificial incentives to do so. A huge oil field and blockade of Singapore.

Another approach would be to unlink the events for isolating Singapore and use usual blockade rules to do it. If it is possible to handle this way. Have the requirement of Kuala Lumpur but after that normal naval blockade working.
Kennon
AlvaroSousa

Post by AlvaroSousa »

I'm leaving it as it is. The weather takes care of the rest. I have to balance it out between the A.I. and a human player which is tough.
Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: kennonlightfoot

If the objective is to prevent it from being taken on first turn then some changes required.

The objective is to help the Japanese not to invade Australia on the first turn. They have plenty of units to do naval invasion everywhere on the map...

But I don't really see the need. Unless you are going to make it so difficult that the Japanese can't take it by Turn 3, there is little point since the Japanese can't take the third port needed, Kuala Lumpur, to isolate Singapore until Turn 2 anyway.

I have zero problem to take Kuala Lumpur on turn 1. You must play with ZOC.
kennonlightfoot

The objective is to help the Japanese not to invade Australia on the first turn. They have plenty of units to do naval invasion everywhere on the map...

I view the DEI campaign more along the lines of it needs to be taken before armies are available to take India.
Australia is a different problem. I haven't looked closely at it since I think other things like having US transports on turn 1 will affect it.

DEI on the other hand controls access to the Indian ocean and oil. And, so far it looks like it needs at least two of Japans armies to take it. Japan won't be doing to much to India without those armies freed.
I usually attack the two Indian units which uses up all the activation points so the Japanese can't get to Kuala. I haven't tested ignoring them so the Japanese army can move directly to the port. It seems this would leave the Indian divisions in your rear cutting off the Japanese army's supplies. But it would speed up the blockading of Singapore.
Kennon
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Japan won't be doing to much to India without those armies freed.

Perfect!
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

I usually attack the two Indian units which uses up all the activation points so the Japanese can't get to Kuala. I haven't tested ignoring them so the Japanese army can move directly to the port. It seems this would leave the Indian divisions in your rear cutting off the Japanese army's supplies. But it would speed up the blockading of Singapore.

Which Indian divisions? [;)]

December 7th, 1941. Fall of Kuala Lumpur to the Japanese.

Attachments
Kuala.jpg
Kuala.jpg (120.78 KiB) Viewed 404 times
kennonlightfoot

I've rarely seen them die on first attack. Usually both survive by retreating. But if it occurs it could be easily corrected by changing their placement to better cover the port and put them in garrison mode.
Kennon

Return to “WarPlan Open Beta Versions”