Commandos?

Warplan is a World War 2 simulation engine. It is a balance of realism and playability incorporating the best from 50 years of World War 2 board wargaming.

Moderator: AlvaroSousa

ncc1701e

Commandos?

Post by ncc1701e »

I wonder what is the purpose of these commandos guys. I bought them but they can't re embark after landing anyway.

They were used to sink ships in ports (Italy was good at it). Or to disable ports (UK was good at it).

But, at this scale, is it even necessary to show them?

I don't know.
Commando.JPG
Commando.JPG (77.2 KiB) Viewed 571 times
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Nirosi

Re: Commandos?

Post by Nirosi »

They are not small commando units. It is just a normal marine division like all other countries (so the name is not quite appropriate to what they are). They are a little better than a normal infantry division and lose less readiness when landing IIRC.
sveint

Post by sveint »

Useless in Europe
Nirosi

Post by Nirosi »

Ya, most countries will just build divisions if they want small landing. For all practical purpose, a normal division will do the same thing and essentially fight 90% as well for only 60% of the price.
boldairade

Post by boldairade »

i wonder if it would make sense to have them use less or no landing craft. might make them worth the money?
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

I would prefer reembarking to exist.
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
boldairade

Post by boldairade »

how would that work? you could reembark that turn?
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

boldairade wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:14 pm how would that work? you could reembark that turn?
Next turn would be more appropriate. The thing is you are outside a port, you are dead.
See Guadalcanal. An island, a port? Or, no port at all? In the game, there is one.

But, if one side is outside, it is dead in 2-3 turns without possibility to flee.
generalfdog

Post by generalfdog »

idk couldn't that get a little cheesy? if you could just reembark you could land annoying units all over the place to disrupt and scout things, cut supply, or overrun aircraft and just leave with no penalty, I think needing to capture ports is good, or it would have to take landing craft to reembark maybe that would work.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Maybe, I have no solution. Just wanted to say that if you are outside a port, you are dead very (too?) quickly.

See example in the Pacific islands:
  • Okinawa 2 months (4 game turns)
  • Guadalcanal 7 months (14 game turns)
  • Bougainville first phase November 1943 through November 1944 (24 game turns)
Impossible to replicate with the current supply system, game rules and co.

But, again, I did not spend time to think of a solution for this.
Nirosi

Post by Nirosi »

I believe that even in WarPlan Europe, a unit supplied just by naval units could survive quite a while by itself. In my game with Bodaraide (see AAR), a UK corps survived for months on Rhodes' beaches before finally takin the port. Quite epic Okinawa style...
boldairade

Post by boldairade »

Nirosi wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:13 pm I believe that even in WarPlan Europe, a unit supplied just by naval units could survive quite a while by itself. In my game with Bodaraide (see AAR), a UK corps survived for months on Rhodes' beaches before finally takin the port. Quite epic Okinawa style...
this is true. i can't exactly remember the specifics, but it involved controlling the neighboring hex with naval units.

it's actually a pretty good solution to this problem, though the only way i knew about it was through AS/Nirosi telling me.

perhaps it needs to be better publicized
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

So maybe there is something between WPE and WPP. Because in WPP, effectiveness is dropping like hell and this is impossible even by sea supply to stay a long time without port.

Return to “WarPlan”