ModAAR: American Front, a CSA v USA WIP mod

Alikchi2

RE: Soft-coding Part 12 - Entente Victory

Post by Alikchi2 »

Happy new year! Still looking forward to this! Great work illustrating the dev process.
WideEyes

Post by WideEyes »

With the Holidays drawing to a neat close could we expect more details - or even the final refinements - in the near future?
Life could be a dream!
PaxAmericana

Post by PaxAmericana »

Still looking forward to this!
Bufo

Re: ModAAR: American Front, a CSA v USA WIP mod

Post by Bufo »

Any update? Hope all is well.
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

Haven't heard from FOARP since Nov 2021. With the world kind of upside down who knows? I hope he's alright too....
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods
FOARP

Post by FOARP »

OldCrowBalthazor wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:02 am Haven't heard from FOARP since Nov 2021. With the world kind of upside down who knows? I hope he's alright too....
Still working on this painfully slowly. Bought a new house so not so much game time, plus like a lot of people just following the news particularly from Ukraine grabs a lot of my attention nowadays.
American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.
Jazon

Post by Jazon »

Hi!
So you are all well right? I am glad. We all were thinking what happened with you!
Cheers
FOARP

Post by FOARP »

Still hoping to finish this...
American Front: a Work-in-progress CSA v USA Turtledove mod for SC:WW1 can be seen here.
WideEyes

Post by WideEyes »

Lovely. Can't wait till I'm finally able to play this.
Life could be a dream!
FOARP

Post by FOARP »

WideEyes wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:47 am Lovely. Can't wait till I'm finally able to play this.
It will happen.
FOARP

And We're Back!

Post by FOARP »

And we're back...

Long story short, moving house and getting a promotion turn out to be things that impact your modding activities quite a bit. However, I've always been intending to finish this mod. There actually aren't so many things left to do on it, but the things that there are left to do are the things that are typically the most difficult - debugging and testing. From now until this mod goes live I'm going to be giving weekly updates so stay tuned.
And We're Back.png
And We're Back.png (3.1 MiB) Viewed 739 times
FOARP

NATO counters

Post by FOARP »

NATO Counters
Originally I hadn't planned to provide any updated NATO counters for this mod because I don't use them. However, since some people do use them, and since a new unit-type - militia - is introduced in place of ANZAC units, the NATO counters also need to be updated to accommodate this. Additionally having marine units having NATO counters labelled "SOF" seems anachronistic and a bit confusing, so I've changed that as well.

Changing the NATO counters ought to be a straight-forward affair, but a complication exists in that any writing on them has to be legible even in the zoomed out version of the counters. Unfortunately, at least with GIMP, the text reading "MILITIA" "MARINE" on the scaled-down version of the counters for the zoomed-out version I made wasn't legible, so the zoomed-out version is a bit different.

Pictured - Tennessee state militia backed up by Confederate marines hold a mountain pass high in the Smoky Mountains:
NATO.png
NATO.png (822.9 KiB) Viewed 698 times
And the same picture zoomed out:
NATO zoomed out.png
NATO zoomed out.png (284.75 KiB) Viewed 698 times
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

I for one appreciate that you decided to give NATO counters a retool. Looks good. Welcome back FOARP. 👍
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods
FOARP

Post by FOARP »

OldCrowBalthazor wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:01 pm I for one appreciate that you decided to give NATO counters a retool. Looks good. Welcome back FOARP. 👍
Thanks Crow! Yeah, playing some WiE has given me ideas about how to address some issues in this mod.
FOARP

Tweaks and fixes

Post by FOARP »

Tweaks and fixes

This week I've been working on game balance to ensure that the cities that fell to one side or another in the opening months of the war as written in Turtledove's books will typically fall in the first few turns of the game as well. This isn't easy as it requires the CSA to be strong on the Potomac, but the USA to be strong along the Ohio, without forces being moved from one front to the other.

I've used unit-morale boosting and morale-reducing events to boost US morale and reduce CS morale along the Ohio as the cities along it fall to the US - this should assist an US invasion of Kentucky. I've also done the same for CS conquests of US cities in Delaware/Maryland/Pennsylvania, meaning that if you can capture Washington DC, then Baltimore, and then outflank US defences before Philadelphia, you can cause a large-scale demoralisation of US forces that might win the war by allowing you to take the de-facto US capital city.

At the very least in hands-off games this seems to work with the AI playing against the AI.

I've also toned down the level of fortifications facing the US invaders to give them a bit more of a chance of at least conquering the things they are supposed to conquer in the CSA. Additionally I've been adding more photos to the events for colour - as you might imagine, pictures from natural disasters and other events in the America of the early 20th century (e.g., the Bonus Army) feature significantly.
OhioEvent.png
OhioEvent.png (551.33 KiB) Viewed 542 times
WashDCEvent.png
WashDCEvent.png (544.25 KiB) Viewed 542 times
PharaohVirgoCompy

Post by PharaohVirgoCompy »

I remember watch how this mod went in 2020 but it ended up escaping me, I recently joined a discord server that happens to like talking about Turtledove's Southern Victory and was remined of it, nice to be able to find it again and see all the work you put on it. I don't think I can comparand the amount of time and effort you put into this, congrats!
VirgoShelter (I can't figure out how to change my username so this works I guess)

Return to “MODS and Scenarios”