Open Beta Patch v1.26f2 (15 june 2024)

Stop here if you are eager to try in advance new patches! Please note that these patches are not compatible with the Steam version of the game.

Moderator: Vic

mattpilot

Re: Open Beta Patch v1.26d (22 april 2024)

Post by mattpilot »

Does anyone know whats going on with this town? A few turns ago they started 'quiet quitting' in the private economy. Slowly stopped working, until we got whats in the screenshot. Now its a cycle of going downhill as they are not providing their own QOL anymore. I think it worked fine until they built that dome-stead .. and then, i believe, it started, but i'm not sure. I started pumping more colonists into it, hoping a extra big surplus of people would get them to work, but they wont.

Taxes are 40% and service tax 50%, if that makes a difference... but the other towns seem to work fine.
Attachments
quiet-quitting-town.jpg
quiet-quitting-town.jpg (358.81 KiB) Viewed 730 times
Don_Kiyote

Post by Don_Kiyote »

zgrssd wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 9:59 am If soldiers die to starvation, that is more work carrying the replacements to the front later.
true
but on the other hand, they are soldiers and without bullets in their weapons are not spiritually complete. Also, it takes at least two full turns before any deaths by starvation occur, and then only gradually; but if they are attacked at bingo ammo, the results are immediate and often much worse.

Given that food is such a small proportion of the total load, usually, it would be fine if it just went first though, also true.

edit: @mattpiot,
I'm cant tell if anything is wrong. The population doesn't have enough food, but there is only one Domestead. There should be more. And that one only produced at 56% last turn, for some reason, but not necessarily because of disaffection. It only produced eight food last turn.
QoL is at 100%, or was last turn, and the private QoL facilities have been mothballed, I guess because they aren't needed, which is interesting, but done correctly.
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

mattpilot wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 7:17 am Does anyone know whats going on with this town? A few turns ago they started 'quiet quitting' in the private economy. Slowly stopped working, until we got whats in the screenshot. Now its a cycle of going downhill as they are not providing their own QOL anymore. I think it worked fine until they built that dome-stead .. and then, i believe, it started, but i'm not sure. I started pumping more colonists into it, hoping a extra big surplus of people would get them to work, but they wont.

Taxes are 40% and service tax 50%, if that makes a difference... but the other towns seem to work fine.
This does seem like something is really bugging with food production and building of private assets.

You should probably create a bug report over in
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/view ... hp?f=10618
and hope Vic can figure this one out.
mattpilot

Post by mattpilot »

Hmm.. I think i 'fixed' it, but probably still a Bug.

I figured they stopped working because of the food, but then why not work the farms? Well, a few turns ago i turned down the truck station and the farm barely got 9 out of 50 required supply points. After making sure the farm was > 50 supply, they did indeed start working again at all private assets. They also plopped down 2 new farm's too.

So i guess the 'bug' is related to a need for private food - but they were not starving since they got emergency food. No reason for them NOT to work the city private assets even if one dome-stead isn't 100% supplied.
Mechasaurian

Post by Mechasaurian »

"Vertibrate" should be spelled "Vertebrate."
Vic

Post by Vic »

zgrssd wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 4:40 pm
Thrake wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 10:02 am Also on the topic of making the game more accessible, I think the main issue is still the fact that the game doesn't clearly let the player know when there are resource shortages in a clear way. It regularly comes up on Discord and it's hard to explain people that their tanks don't have fuel because there's not enough production. The typical answer is like "I have fuel left in my SHQ reserves and the arrow is green so I produce enough".
This comes from the representation.

There is no indication the resource dropped to 0 during turn resolution. Not even the tooltips clearly indicate it.
I am aware improvements here are still desirable.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Vic

Re: Open Beta Patch v1.26e (20 may 2024)

Post by Vic »

Bump! New subversion E posted. Some new rather technical changes and some bug fixes! Working on new political systems in the background, but that will be a few months off before finished. I can already say though that democracy and meritocracy will become more of a challenge to play.
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
Mechasaurian

Post by Mechasaurian »

Speaking as someone who has gotten sick of the "early buildup" phase on lower tech starts (particularly level 3):

My problem is not the lack of technology, but the lack of industry. Unless you get a lucky break with a metal mine or a rich cluster of ruins, you are forced to watch the metal slowly trickle into your Industry lv1 project while putting out fires and fighting back marauders.

It's such a slog that by the time I've gotten any industry worth mentioning, I'm normally effectively Tech Level 4.

So, why not skip the grind and take a tech 4 start anyway?

I really wish we could choose our starting tech level and our starting public industry level separately at game start.

I'd like being able to take a low tech, high industry, slow research start. Bring on the buggy and WW1 biplane wars!
Daza99

Post by Daza99 »

Mechasaurian wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:07 pm Speaking as someone who has gotten sick of the "early buildup" phase on lower tech starts (particularly level 3):

My problem is not the lack of technology, but the lack of industry. Unless you get a lucky break with a metal mine or a rich cluster of ruins, you are forced to watch the metal slowly trickle into your Industry lv1 project while putting out fires and fighting back marauders.

It's such a slog that by the time I've gotten any industry worth mentioning, I'm normally effectively Tech Level 4.

I really wish we could choose our starting tech level and our starting public industry level separately at game start.

I'd like being able to take a low tech, high industry, slow research start. Bring on the buggy and WW1 biplane wars!
I think what would be a good idea. Perhaps there could be an Advance Settings on that page where we can enter how much IP we start with and what Industry Level, min-max capability lvl of the leaders if you want to have 4 or all councils unlocked etc, choose what tech/research knowledge you start with, there could be dice buttons to randomly choose for each parameter if the player wants to use that. Also allow us to save presets for these custom configurations. And I hope in the future we can also customize the planet set up as well, including where we start on the planet, and even perhaps even an option to add to the history timeline that is generated, so the last log could be a custom one some with roleplay flavor we write in ourselves based on what your custom setup will be.

Which means ultimately the player could create a really hard scenario if they want a unique challenge/scenario or make it easier if they are learning the game. If we could create custom scenarios with having more control on the setup parameters, what if we could upload these to the workshop for other players to play. Even if its just saving the game before completing the first round and uploading that to the steam workshop or a cloud to share on the forum if you don't own the steam version. We could even have a community challenge of creating a really fun or challenging scenario setups- see who completes them first or have the highest score. Sure it would take Vic a bit of work to implement this, but I think this could be another feature to make this game even more robust and interesting, especially if the workshop eventually has lots of interesting scenarios that we can download and play. The workshop has its own rating system so the best ones will rise to the top.
Vic

Post by Vic »

Mechasaurian wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 6:07 pm Speaking as someone who has gotten sick of the "early buildup" phase on lower tech starts (particularly level 3):

For starters... there is always the option to play on really slow development speed. That would keep you in low tech for a long time.

But I get your point. Especially the problems to build Industry Asset at the start is something that might require an alternative. I am thinking it over.

best,
vic
JagdFlanker

Post by JagdFlanker »

I'v been starting at lvl3 tech for all my games up until my last one, and I have to say the lvl4 start is so luxurious compared to lvl3

I enjoy starting at zero with a lvl3 start, but the 2 things that make it a pain is:

- No way of generating permanent future power until you research solar, which if you are unlucky often takes a while and holds up your entire development

- massive investment to create a decent amount of IP production, which takes forever. keep in mind you need IP for new buildings, to create new units/replacements, and to build roads, all of which you often need to do almost every turn. Buildings by themselves are a big IP sink-hole since you have to build so many when starting at lvl3 to get your economy and city going, you can usually only build 1 at a time, and it usually takes multiple turns for each one

Possible solutions could be:

- Check box to start with solar, or at least start with it discovered so you can research it as soon as you hire your Economic Council

- check box to double IP production, or halve IP cost on lvl1 buildings (and perhaps reduce lvl2 building IP cost to 75% or something)
JagdFlanker

Post by JagdFlanker »

I will also mention it would be nice if at lvl4 tech start you had the option to start with only "lvl3 units" discovered - no light tanks/artillery/etc
Uemon

Post by Uemon »

The latest version, 1.26e, i dont know if something got changed about non aligneds but i think im starting to see a pattern in change of their behavior. Previously they used to walk out from the wilderness and walk into your territory. Now im playing a volcanic world map, and they basically stay inside their territory and, which is the completely new behavior for me, they congregate around independent settlements. By congregate i mean there is a indie settlement about 20 tiles into the neutral territory and there are 5 independent infantry sitting on that settlement and a few more couple of tiles away. Im 90% sure this didnt used to happen; previously if there were this many indep infantries, they would all be heading toward my territory.

I dont know if this "passivity" is WAD or not, just thought id report it.

Also AI of newly founded settlement is much better with private economy agriculture spam. They no longer build 500 of them.

This is what im talking about:
zgrssd

Post by zgrssd »

Uemon wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 4:29 pm The latest version, 1.26e, i dont know if something got changed about non aligneds but i think im starting to see a pattern in change of their behavior. Previously they used to walk out from the wilderness and walk into your territory. Now im playing a volcanic world map, and they basically stay inside their territory and, which is the completely new behavior for me, they congregate around independent settlements. By congregate i mean there is a indie settlement about 20 tiles into the neutral territory and there are 5 independent infantry sitting on that settlement and a few more couple of tiles away. Im 90% sure this didnt used to happen; previously if there were this many indep infantries, they would all be heading toward my territory.

I dont know if this "passivity" is WAD or not, just thought id report it.

Also AI of newly founded settlement is much better with private economy agriculture spam. They no longer build 500 of them.

This is what im talking about:
Way back I suggested indies without cities should have "bases" with supply lines you can cut.
I guess this is a close second?

Do they guard all settlements equally? And create a buffer zone around their settlements?
Elver

Post by Elver »

JagdFlanker wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 5:19 pm I'v been starting at lvl3 tech for all my games up until my last one, and I have to say the lvl4 start is so luxurious compared to lvl3

I enjoy starting at zero with a lvl3 start, but the 2 things that make it a pain is:

[...]

- massive investment to create a decent amount of IP production, which takes forever. keep in mind you need IP for new buildings, to create new units/replacements, and to build roads, all of which you often need to do almost every turn. Buildings by themselves are a big IP sink-hole since you have to build so many when starting at lvl3 to get your economy and city going, you can usually only build 1 at a time, and it usually takes multiple turns for each one
One solution that springs to mind might be to have primitive (basically tech lvl 2?), firmly level-capped versions of certain buildings that require more time and personnel (and possibly resources, but I question this - the point is eking out more war from less infrastructure) to construct and operate, but fewer IP points to build and lower power requirements once they're up and running. Basically, allow cottage industries in the most traditional sense so you could substitute inefficient labor for industrialized manufacturing. It feels like this is something where you could definitely balance it so once you could build factories you'd want to ASAP, but you could still wage war prior to properly industrializing if you had to.
Vic

Post by Vic »

@Uemon,
Yes they have a tendency to hole up in Free Folk settlements as they can recruit new units from them.
best wishes,
Vic
Vic

Re: Open Beta Patch v1.26f (14 june 2024)

Post by Vic »

Bump! subversion F posted!
Many fixes and finetunes, some requests implemented, but also some later game AI work done!
Vic

Re: Open Beta Patch v1.26f2 (15 june 2024)

Post by Vic »

bump! small fix!
finrodfelagund

Re: Open Beta Patch v1.26f2 (15 june 2024)

Post by finrodfelagund »

Fine tuning of farms in 1.26e seems weird, what if we actually like a map cluttered with farms ? :lol: Open air farming aesthetics with map mods are actually nice to have. Also a big city should be able to support more farms as they're kinda workforce intensive.

Return to “Shadow Empire MATRIX VERSION Open Beta”