Strange behaviour of xeno-agri water modifier

Moderator: Vic

raspberrywine

Strange behaviour of xeno-agri water modifier

Post by raspberrywine »

I have a game where the alien crops have a lowest temperature water mod of 25%, and a highest temperature water mod of 16%. What I expected was for water usage to scale linearly from 25% at lowest temperature to 16% at highest temperature. However this is not what's happening and my xeno-farm at 31 celsius is paying full water cost.
Crops detail screen, game #1
Crops detail screen, game #1
A4vlypV.jpeg (234.71 KiB) Viewed 160 times
I loaded some other games to see how the bonus works and with human farms it seems to be a linear -50% at 1c to 0% at 20c. I loaded another save in the same world as the first paragraph to test and it does seem like it also goes to 25% at 1c to 100% at 20c as I get a -35% bonus at 11c. Not sure how the highest temperature modifier works, because the farm at 31 celsius is not getting a water bonus at all. I started another game to test it at temperatures above the ideal range, and the two data points I have (-17% at 45c, and -7% at 42c) would fit a linear model of 0% bonus at 40c and -67% at 60c, which is not an intuitive range at all given 40c isn't even in the list of temperature set points.
Crops detail screen, game #3
Crops detail screen, game #3
f44jsd3.jpeg (255.05 KiB) Viewed 160 times
I think the water consumption should work as I'd assumed but if this is the intended behaviour I think it should be explained better in the manual and/or the crops details screen.
Don_Kiyote

Re: Strange behaviour of xeno-agri water modifier

Post by Don_Kiyote »

Good questions.

I looked this over briefly in an earlier game on a cold world, and it seemed to track for those temperatures. With the 'crystalline structure' trait, at -6c water use was minimal and production was minimal-to-okay.

It looks like the general idea is that as it gets hotter, more water is required, especially for open air farms, because of plant transpiration and evaporative loss. So for Earth plants, at their lowest viable temperature of +1c they use -50% or 1/2 of the base water consumption of the facility. At 20c they use 100% or +0% or the full value of the baseline no more nor less; and at max temperature (60c?), they use +100% or 2x the base. That's what I would expect.

Progression between those three points will probably be geometric (curved) rather than arithmetic (always in the same proportion). But it should always be a positively sloped (non-negative) line, or always increasing in water requirements as the weather heats up.

I'm not sure if that is what you are seeing or not.
Vic

Re: Strange behaviour of xeno-agri water modifier

Post by Vic »

Made a note to check this when I get to alien ecology again!
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics

Return to “Tech Support”