"Kick in the barn door" - Speedy vs Gunnulf (no Gun)

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.
Speedysteve

"Kick in the barn door" - Speedy vs Gunnulf (no Gun)

Post by Speedysteve »

Hi All,

I've started a PBEM++ game vs Gunnulf with me as Axis. No Gunnulf in this thread please.

No 'What If's' and Helpers for either side.

I selected "Support Hitler" and the buffoon is now chummy with me. Main focus is Leningrad, then Rostov, Moscow, then HQ's.

I've got bad initial relations with both Leeb and Bock (-11 and -19 respectively) which is not good and no chance of PzGp focus for AGN and AGC.
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Speedysteve

RE: "Kick in the barn door and the whole rotten structure will collapse" - Speedy vs Gunnulf (no Gun)

Post by Speedysteve »

Turn 2.

AGN.

Due to initial force dispositions it made sense for 4th PzGp to head north of the Neimen through Tilsit. Will aim to create a pocket to the NW of Kaunas.

Attachments
AGN.jpg
AGN.jpg (447.49 KiB) Viewed 923 times
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Speedysteve

RE: "Kick in the barn door and the whole rotten structure will collapse" - Speedy vs Gunnulf (no Gun)

Post by Speedysteve »

Turn 2

AGC.

Brest is surrounded by elements of 2nd PzGp. Siege guns are en route and will be there in 4 days time.

2nd and 3rd PzGp's surround Bialystok and cut off 13 Divisions of 10th Army.

The bulk of 3rd PzGp shifts eastwards towards Vilnius and will either storm eastwards or try and cut off 3rd Army in Grodno if they don't pull back.

Attachments
AGC.jpg
AGC.jpg (536.32 KiB) Viewed 923 times
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Turn 2.

AGS.

17th Army and 1st PzGp slice through Soviet forces encircling 13 enemy units west of Lvov.

6th Army presses eastwards and will attempt to cut off a few enemy divisions if they don't withdraw.

Attachments
AGS.jpg
AGS.jpg (513.48 KiB) Viewed 923 times
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Are you sure you want to wait for the siege guns? It will take 4 days to arrive and then another 4 to take effect... You might take some infantry casualties in the clearing but you can then move them forward more quickly...
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

More importantly, shouldn't the German player have a new card option for Version 1.03 - "Shoot that miserable pain in the ass von Leeb".
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Problem is Cannon it's got a proper garrison and 2 full strength Rifle Divs. That's not to be trifled with. Ideally I'd like to not have to use the siege guns at Lvov (no garrison at game start) or at Riga...would rather not incur unnecessary landser casualties.

Warspite - I normally try and maintain good relationships with my FM's but it's a pain having 2 of them in a bad state at game start. Grrr
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Quite a few Soviet activations by the look of it. Grrr. 5 attacks. 1 successful which cut off the 9th Infantry Division:

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (510.24 KiB) Viewed 923 times
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Turn 3.

AGN after moves.

Kaunas pocket formed but Kaunas holds firm against an assault by 16th Army.

4th PzGp fans out to see where weak spots exist.

Attachments
AGN.jpg
AGN.jpg (465.14 KiB) Viewed 923 times
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

AGC post moves.

Not overly happy with PzGp 2 and 3's progress. PzGp 3 fails to smash through a small Soviet Garrison at Vilnius.

PzGp 2 ploughs up the highway to Minsk. Recon indicates Western Front are re-orging to a different posture.

Failed to close the Grodno pocket.

Bialystok is almost liquidated.

We assault Brest in the next few days.

Attachments
AGC.jpg
AGC.jpg (553.65 KiB) Viewed 923 times
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

AGS.

17th Army rapidly eradicates the Soviet units west of Lvov.

9th Infantry Division is rescued from encirclement and in turn assists in cutting off 2 Soviet Rifle Divisions.

Lvov is surrounded by 1st PzGp. I hope the encirclement holds against Soviet counter-attacks. 2 x Soviet HQ's are trapped in Lvov too.

Here's hoping for some bad Soviet activation rolls.

Attachments
AGS.jpg
AGS.jpg (484.26 KiB) Viewed 923 times
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Rom Front.

Romanian's grow a pair and move a little. Schobert's 11th Arhy is in the vanguard approaching Kishinev from the NW.

Attachments
Rom.jpg
Rom.jpg (479.15 KiB) Viewed 923 times
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Start of Turn 4. Loses as off the end of Turn 3:

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (369.98 KiB) Viewed 923 times
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

Only the 1 Soviet Counter attack which trashed 11th Panzer and re-opened a link to Lvov. Grrr.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (489.53 KiB) Viewed 923 times
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

AGN after moves.

Not overly happy with progress here as 4th PzGP tried storming Riga (just failed) and was unable to cross either at Jakobstadt or Dunaburg. I have detected that Zhukov is in the area though and that explains the better activations up here, blown bridges and Gun has also built forts west of Dunaburg.

Zhukov can;t be everywhere though......

Kaunas was taken by 16th Army as was Liepaja by 18th Army.

Attachments
AGN.jpg
AGN.jpg (480.32 KiB) Viewed 923 times
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

AGC post moves.

Brest fell comfortable to 2nd PzGp with the aid of the Siege Guns.

2nd PzGp continues up the main road to Minsk whilst 3rd PzGp secures Vilnius and moves NW of Minsk to threaten a wider encirclement of Western Front and the newly arrived 22nd Army HQ (in Minsk).

Grodno pocket is secured and Bialystok is wiped out.

Attachments
AGC.jpg
AGC.jpg (543.99 KiB) Viewed 923 times
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

AGS after moves.

I also meant to say that I changed 4th Army posture in AGC to SO.

In AGS I re-sealed Lvov and created a further pocket to the north. All in all 3 x Army HQ's are locked in these. Knowing the Soviets as I do the line that is ahead of me is all that remains unless reinforcements are diverted south.

Attachments
AGS.jpg
AGS.jpg (502.24 KiB) Viewed 923 times
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

ROM Front after moves.

Hoping to lock some Soviets in around Kishinev but we'll see.

Overall I'm a little disappointed with my progress to date.

AGN = poor.

AGC = ok.

AGS = just about ok.

Attachments
Rom.jpg
Rom.jpg (447.6 KiB) Viewed 923 times
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Orm

Post by Orm »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

More importantly, shouldn't the German player have a new card option for Version 1.03 - "Shoot that miserable pain in the ass von Leeb".
You need to play the AH card for that.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

Thank you Speedy for the nice report. [:)] I will follow this thread.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

Return to “After Action Report”