Love game, but wish unit values more accurate

Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive is the fourth wargame in the Decisive Campaign series. Covering the battles in the Ardennes between December 1944 and January 1945, it brings to life Operational wargaming by lowering the scale to just above tactical level.

Moderators: Vic, Decisive Campaigns Ardennes Offensive Mods

MTTODD

Love game, but wish unit values more accurate

Post by MTTODD »

Love the game, but think some of the unit values could be improved.

For example, why is the Tiger 1 defence value of 380 so high compared to the M26 Pershing, which has only 293, I thought they had similar protection levels ?

The Firefly hard attack is only 251, when it should be similar to the Panther L70 gun of 327. I know the game uses a generic algorithm to calculate these values, but this does result in some erroneous results.

Not trying to be critical, just want a better game, like all of us.

Appreciate any thoughts.
nikdav

Re: Love game, but wish unit values more accurate

Post by nikdav »

HI,
Happy you like the game and thanks for the feedback !

I understand your point and it's very easy to change the values ​​in the editor to run your own tests.
I have done more than 3 years of testing for a valid and realistic algorithm.
The defense value of the tank is greatly influenced by its weight (Tiger 56 tons vs Pershing 42 tons).
The performance of the weapon strongly depends on the barrel length (Panther 5250mm vs Firefly 4180mm), because penetration values depend too much on the type of ammunition.

Clearly it's not 100% perfect but I think the actual algorithm is a good compromise.

Davide

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
atksoft = (gun (mm) * shot weight (kg)) / 10
defsoft = 75% atksoft
atkhard = ((barrel lenght mm*2) * muzzle vel. ms) /100) /300)
defhard = 75% atkhard
defense = (weight * protection / 30 ) + speed (km)

nikdav

Re: Love game, but wish unit values more accurate

Post by nikdav »

A table with penetration values made after the war.
The Panther use the standard Pzgr.39, the 17pdr best value are only with late war or experimental proiectiles.

tank guns 2.jpg
tank guns 2.jpg (187.17 KiB) Viewed 205 times

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Ardennes Offensive”