PrettyTrees mod

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderator: Joel Billings

overkill01

PrettyTrees mod

Post by overkill01 »

This mod will replace the trees with new textures and shapes.

Use the link below to download the file. be sure to download the full file (should be the arrow on the right).
Unpack the .rar in the game installfolder.
Only art will be replaced, this mod does not affect the game except for visuals.
I suggest you make a backup of the Dat-file.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1xxq9o5zbiq2 ... 3.rar?dl=0

PLEASE READ!
A new game is advised but not necessary to load the new art.
But, changes have been made to the placement of woods wich will only take effect when starting a new game.
Forests and Woods will look more organic if you do.
Also, you will need to reinstall the mod after every official update from matrix.

Attachments
example.jpg
example.jpg (846.43 KiB) Viewed 3678 times
TallBlondJohn

RE: PrettyTrees mod v0.1

Post by TallBlondJohn »

Aha, this was what I was thinking of for re-doing the trees - solid forest and scattered copses for woods. Very, very nice, especially the beautiful texturing (I have no idea how to do that).

Personally I've thinking about reducing the density a bit though on both Forest and Woods, it will show more of the base tile which will reveal mud and snow better. Meanwhile I might re-do my trees to be more symbol based, or maybe switch to redoing the rail lines to create some cleared space on each side.

Are you going to redo the deciduous and Mediterranean tiles as well?
Rexzapper

Post by Rexzapper »

Wow, what great trees. I love them.
Grestok

Post by Grestok »

Indispensable ! That mod with the intermediate contrast swamp mod of MakeeLearn gives an superb effect to the map !
budd

Post by budd »

Looks great, how well do the roads show. I'm really hoping someone enhances the rail and roads.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.
overkill01

Post by overkill01 »

ORIGINAL: budd

Looks great, how well do the roads show. I'm really hoping someone enhances the rail and roads.

Alpha channel for rails and roads are not 100% I believe, to make them more visible, I'll look into it.
stryc

Post by stryc »

'Green' minor rail disappears on the Supply overlay as well - whilst you're poking around in there. ;)
TallBlondJohn

Post by TallBlondJohn »

ORIGINAL: budd

Overkill is right - the alpha can be set in the map editor (Open the editor and click on LOAD GENERIC DATA. Then click on GO TO MAP. In the map, press the'¬' key on your keyboard to open the map editor).

On the right, click on Alpha. Here you can set the transparency of the listed elements as a number. I've set my roads to 150 which makes them stand out better, and I've also used the editor to set the town labels to red as an experiment (using the TEXT settings). Definitely better for Russia, but in Germany and western Europe with a lot more roads the effect is rather overwhelming.

The roads struggle with the woods though - maybe make them thicker, with a clear edge?

Attachments
Roads.jpg
Roads.jpg (206.62 KiB) Viewed 3676 times
briklebritt

Post by briklebritt »

I am new to that game and series. Could zou please explain how to change Alpha f.e. for "Road to Leningrad" scenario.

I started editor and loaded "Road to Leningrad" scenario and it took me directly to the map. Here I changed Tiles alpha and text as I like it. Then I clicked the ADMIN tab and save and exit and left the editor. But now when click "Pick Scenario" in main screen and choose the "Road to Leningrad" scenario, my changes to the map are not there.

What I am doing wrong?
RedLancer

Post by RedLancer »

You need to make the changes in the generic data and save the hexart.dat file.
John
WitE2 Asst Producer
WitE & WitW Dev
briklebritt

Post by briklebritt »

Thanks, got it.. forgot to check hexart before saving! I now saw that I have to change text color for the zoom level too.

But one little question. Now it was saved and it is visible in the scenario. But now when I load again into the editor and load generic data and go to map, it now says "set victory cities" and I cannot do anything

Update > closing game and restart and everything is fine again
TallBlondJohn

Post by TallBlondJohn »

ORIGINAL: briklebritt

Thanks, got it.. forgot to check hexart before saving! I now saw that I have to change text color for the zoom level too.

But one little question. Now it was saved and it is visible in the scenario. But now when I load again into the editor and load generic data and go to map, it now says "set victory cities" and I cannot do anything

Update > closing game and restart and everything is fine again

Yes I think that "set victory cities" is a bug, it happens to me too. Restating WITE2 fixes it, but is a hassle.
briklebritt

Post by briklebritt »

I like this older map mod for WitE a lot. Colors, clarity are great.

MAPMOD
overkill01

Post by overkill01 »

Preview on v0.2
Feedback ?

Fraggo5

Post by Fraggo5 »

Definition between light and heavy woods is more pronounced and easier to distinguish, thumbs up here.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

If you see set victory cities when you go into the editor, just press shift-v to get out of that mode.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
jlbhung

Post by jlbhung »

I refer to the preview 0.2. It seems that the woods circled in red have not been changed, or they are forest?

Attachments
SWcorner.jpg
SWcorner.jpg (45.9 KiB) Viewed 3740 times
vilcum

Post by vilcum »

I am playing with the your fist version, I think this second one woods seem too "sparse trees"

Attachments
v1v2.jpg
v1v2.jpg (115.15 KiB) Viewed 3743 times
stryc

Post by stryc »

ORIGINAL: overkill01

Preview on v0.2
Feedback ?

Not a fan. IMHO, this is falling into the same trap another tree mod did: by making the light woods look like individual trees it creates a disconnect between the scale of the map and the scale of the light woods art. That said, the previous version did as well, and so did the original, but to a far lesser degree - as the blobs were somewhat amorphous the scale disconnect wasn't so readily apparent as it is with this 'individual' tree look.

The first one is fine. Stop fiddling! ;)

Just my 2d worth.
Rexzapper

Post by Rexzapper »

I also prefer the first version.

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”