Board Wargames for Sale.

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Chris21wen

Board Wargames for Sale.

Post by Chris21wen »

The time has come, all must go. Board wargames dating form late 70s through to early 90s. Most are magazine games but there are some boxed.

I've no one to leave them too, all my off spring (kids and grand kid) show no interest in military history, history full stop for that matter which is really sad. Despite getting the urge to play them again while sorting through I quickly realise that was not going to happen, the body complained namely eyes, back and fingers.

Meant too sell them years ago. Considering they have gone through 3 house moves over the best part of 30 years from loft to loft, their condition in is mainly good although it varies with states ranging from average (those played a lot), to VG (those never played and still unpunched). For my American friends a lofts is the equivalent of a basements but at the top of the house, not bottom. Some have a few original counters missing being replaced by hand made ones.

A spreadsheet containing all the games can be found here https://btcloud.bt.com/web/app/share/invite/4L55etrprh

This is a giveaway. First offer I see gets them but postage is required on top. Some boxed games could be de-boxed as the boxed don't really add to the value but their are some, namely Squad Leader that cannot and would have to go parcel and not letter. You could of course pick them up??

UK letter post starts around £2.10 to £5.20, parcel start £5.99 to the UK. Postage to USA starts at £3.25 I think. Payment via paypal, bank transfer or cash if you collect.

I'm stilll sorting Squad Leader. Send me a message if interested.

This has nothing to do with Matrix other than their permission to post the details on this forum. DO NOT CONTACT THEM.
Bo Rearguard

Re: Board Wargames for Sale.

Post by Bo Rearguard »

I have to say I'm very much the same cardboard box as you mate. Got a lot of old wargames and very little interest. It certainly doesn't help that a lot of more classic wargame titles are being re-booted, re-printed and re-boxed nowadays with better components and easier to read graphics. Why get old when you can have new? So, it looks like it's going to be the recycle bin for all but a sentimental few.

It's funny that the cut-off date when most people stop buying traditional wargames is the early 1990s. I guess that is when we all switched to playing them on computers. :mrgreen:
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist ...." Union General John Sedgwick, 1864
RangerJoe

Post by RangerJoe »

Unfortunately, I know no one around here who plays those games. :(

I think that a better term for where they were stored for Americans would be the "attic" since I think that is where they were stored.
Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

burbigo

Post by burbigo »

Unfortunately I know no one around here too.

Kodi
Last edited by burbigo on Sun May 26, 2024 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElvisJJonesRambo

Post by ElvisJJonesRambo »

Advanced Squad Leader
Victory Games US Civil War

These 2 treasures, the world will never know.
Dinosaurs, endangered species.
Then again, maybe those in the Resurrection will have a gaming street of row house which play.
Attachments
Over.jpg
Over.jpg (93.14 KiB) Viewed 505 times
Therefore, you get the "Patton Slap!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol: Served: 1
stormbringer3

Post by stormbringer3 »

I've two Victory Games, The Civil War and Lee vs. Grant, both in excellent condition. In addition, I've got dozens of other games that would love a new home.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

I have few boardgames and really I am enjoying this game in particular for the Engagement / Battle scenarios.
I did not start Campaign scenarios yet due to time constraints.
Pacific War.JPG
Pacific War.JPG (29.54 KiB) Viewed 449 times
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
ElvisJJonesRambo

ncc1701e wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:23 am I have few boardgames and really I am enjoying this game in particular for the Engagement / Battle scenarios.
I did not start Campaign scenarios yet due to time constraints.
Ha! My old buddy has this game. Even in our youth we didn't have time to play. We laughed, tried maybe 5+ years ago, got the game out (same old one), and played. Good grief, I cannot even see the counters. That "who's turn is it chart" drove me insane. The only way to play such games is to know the rules, combat charts, and the value of the pieces: Tactical Air, Land based Air, intercept rules, reaction rolls, etc. Counting the distances on the blue sea was a challenged. I screwed up, and ruined the entire first post Pearl Harbor battle by not intercepting. I had no clue. The problem, is the not knowing how the game strategy really works. Unlike a computer game, you can play it fast and learn strategies. This was my own fault, just didn't know the game mechanics. It's like your opponent who knows the rules, has to tell me what to do.

Kind of like Advanced Squad Leader. Different players interpret rules totally different. You're screwed, there's no mercy, and it ruins the game. "Oh, if I knew that you played that way, my dumbass wouldn't have left the level #2 rooftop for line of sight.

On the other hand, if you play similar opponents, you almost can "feel the map", the line of sights. The biggest problem I have with ASL against friends, is how long they take to do their turn. Some are perfectionists. They take 30 minutes for a turn, calculating all the odds, constantly. I understand that for early turns, but come on. Almost need a chess clock.

I rather play 2-games, without being perfect, than 1-game playing slow. It's like Major League Baseball, finally getting a pitch clock. What's great about ASL, you still have luck. You can have all the odds stacked in your favor, by little rolls matter. Some squad will go berserk, which previously was a non-factor. Now you have a squad with a panzer Faust which won't break. Or how about the key dice rolls with AFV. You finally get tired of waiting, and charge.
Catch21

Post by Catch21 »

Chris21wen wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 10:51 amThe time has come, all must go. Board wargames dating form late 70s through to early 90s. Most are magazine games but there are some boxed.

I've no one to leave them too, all my off spring (kids and grand kid) show no interest in military history, history full stop for that matter which is really sad.
Alas, been here, done that too. PM sent.
Tactics are based on Weapons... Strategy on Movement... and Movement on Supply. (J. F. C. Fuller 1878-1966)
Platoonist

Post by Platoonist »

ElvisJJonesRambo wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 10:35 am Counting the distances on the blue sea was a challenged. I screwed up, and ruined the entire first post Pearl Harbor battle by not intercepting. I had no clue. The problem, is the not knowing how the game strategy really works. Unlike a computer game, you can play it fast and learn strategies. This was my own fault, just didn't know the game mechanics. It's like your opponent who knows the rules, has to tell me what to do.

Ahh. Mark Herman's Pacific War. The cat kept screwing with my attempts to learn the game. The map always threw me off a bit as it was printed in an east is down, west is up format.

CounterConfusion.jpg
CounterConfusion.jpg (139.89 KiB) Viewed 361 times
ElvisJJonesRambo

Platoonist wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:18 pm Ahh. Mark Herman's Pacific War. The cat kept screwing with my attempts to learn the game. The map always threw me off a bit as it was printed in an east is down, west is up format.
Yep, the sideways flat Earther map is a brain freeze.
Then again, I cannot expect to play a game with not reviewing it :)
Rebel Yell

Post by Rebel Yell »

Platoonist wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:18 pm ...The map always threw me off a bit as it was printed in an east is down, west is up format.

CounterConfusion.jpg
Yep, pure communism.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

The new map is even more beautiful.
map.JPG
map.JPG (238.93 KiB) Viewed 268 times
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Platoonist

Post by Platoonist »

ncc1701e wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:31 pm The new map is even more beautiful.
The map from the 1985 edition with all its flat blues and greens and browns never struck me as particularly attractive but this recent version sure looks like a big step up. Of course, that probably makes my old, battered copy even less appealing in today's market. :mrgreen:
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

After all these years, the only problem is that I had to buy errata counters to fix things...
https://www.gmtgames.com/p-1053-2023-re ... sheet.aspx

Return to “General Discussion”