Achtung Panzer v Command Ops

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Rosseau

RE: Achtung Panzer v Command Ops

Post by Rosseau »

Thanks! I got the new "Graviteam Tactics" header on install, so am good for now. [:)]
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

I think 30 minutes is sufficient and plenty amout of time to learn and understand ANY game (afterall games are suppose to be relaxing and entertaining not a science/physics lesson) and if one cannot do it in that length of time then it's the programmers and games fault for being so unintuitive. Maybe they should learn basic (programming) before advancing to something more complicated. [:D]
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

That's the rub - when games become work. True, APOS is not intuitive. I didn't find Forge of Freedom intuitive either, and dropped it on day-one. However, not being the sharpest tool, I still got the hang of APOS after a few hours. Try doing that with WitP-AE. I bought that game, but never played it cause of the learning curve.

I didn't, but you could get APOS and the DLCs cheap. Considering the prices, it is an enjoyable game to toy around with. CmdOps has a great U.I. But I am definitely with you on "games as work." Empires in Arms comes to mind. [:)]

flibby

Post by flibby »

Been playing APOS for a couple of days now and pretty much there with the UI. It lets me make the tactical decisions and see them played out perfectly so I'm happy!

Screenshots tomorrow if I get chance.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Sounds good. It plays like a diff game since I patched up. Smooth as silk.

Also, just noticed you get a lot of new units to use in Quick Battles as you buy the DLC. Good fun there.

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Well since we're in agreement that theyre both fine games I'm sure flibby wont mind another screen.

This time from a quick battle I threw together. A lone Soviet Tank happens upon a column of German armor where it is struck by small arms fire and some main gun shots. While it quickly seeks cover it blasts off a flare relaying to more Soviet tanks and troops that it has come across the enemy and stiff resistance.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (215.54 KiB) Viewed 139 times
**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Ugly duckling you're the one,
You make wartime lots of fun

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Dane49

Post by Dane49 »

GTOS is some work to learn,but like most things that require some time and effort,the pay off in the end is well worth the effort.
If you can't be bothered to learn it then the game isn't for you.

I love this game and it's the game I always hoped to see eventually as a replacement for the board game Squad Leader.
If you don't like it don't play it!
Those of us who do like it,enjoy some truly great battles in graphic splendor.
If I thought some other game did this better I'd play it instead. So far I haven't found a GTOS replacement.Anywhere!

Here's a few videos I did last week and posted on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CCmR31r ... e=youtu.be Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uKdA3thaq8 Part 2

You won't see anything like this in any other game. Not even CM East Front when it's released.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Just started learning CO-BFTB. I like it so far. These screen shots from APOS look good too. Think I might like to try it out. I'm not sure where to get it? I think I could like both games too.
JRR
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

Just started learning CO-BFTB. I like it so far. These screen shots from APOS look good too. Think I might like to try it out. I'm not sure where to get it? I think I could like both games too.

Matrix sells the base game here and it is on sale now. The DLC's addons are sold elsewhere but I'd recommend getting them from Gamersgate if you want em. They are the only place it seems that updates DLC's with any regularity. Plus there is no DRM on them so you can just save to your HD for backup purposes. The actual updates come from Graviteam, the makers of the series.

The UI takes a bit to get used to but is way more intuitive than it once was. The patching process is cumbersome at first but actually pretty simple. Seems like the biggest confusion is that there are engine updates and patches separately, but help is just a forum post away.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Thanks MoReb. And I thought spending for Christmas was over![:D]
JRR
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Riding in comfort has its drawbacks.

Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

ORIGINAL: baloo7777

Thanks MoReb. And I thought spending for Christmas was over![:D]

Lol. Think of it as a gift exchange.
Dane49

Post by Dane49 »

Once you update the base game APOS it changes to GTOS-Graviteam Tactics Operation Star with the new orders system.
Gamersgate is the only place that sells all current versions of this game and all the latest updates should be there as well.

All the new games and DLCs will be self published by Graviteam and Gamersgate is their preferred seller.
Gamersgate runs specials for this series every couple months so most DLCs can be had dirt cheap considering this game is a bargain even at full retail.
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

After the base game is aquired, what order do I purchase the DLC's in (if it matters). Should I learn the game from the base system first, then get the GTOS with the new orders system?
JRR
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

The order of the dlcs only matter where you install them not when. Be ready to be confused as far as how to update.

Update the game now with the new order system. This is a must.

There is plenty of play in the base game if you want to become familiar with it first, but the dlc's are nice and varied adding new locals, battles, equipment etc. Plus like someone said above, they add more types of units in the QB's.You'll be amazed at how some of the longer campaigns play out.
Dane49

Post by Dane49 »

You can learn the basics from APOS and familiarize yourself with the UI for starters the base is still pretty good but not from Matrix they still sell the old version which isn't very good and not very similar to GTOS.

If you do buy from Matrix then I suggest to update with the latest Dec.13 patch which will make the game GTOS with the new orders system.You can still turn the new orders system off in the options menu.

The Graviteam forum is a good place to go if you have problems with patching or updating.
If you buy the WW2 DLCs(except Shilovo) you need no particular order for DLCs but the modern stuff needs a little order to them and Shilovo42 should be the last DLC added to the updater list.

If and when you buy the DLCs post what you have on the Graviteam forum.I visit there regulary(not so much here). I will help or someone else will get you situated with the proper order for your update menu.
Missouri_Rebel

Post by Missouri_Rebel »

Hey Dane. Do you have links to the files that should be updated? I assume you need the latest patch from Reply #18 here http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=11428.15

Is there not a current Code one also?
baloo7777

Post by baloo7777 »

Hmmm...a bit nervous about the updates? Not good at updates that don't install themselves (correctly). Still the game looks so good...checked out the you tube movie in this thread, and was very interested. I will consider it for a day before i spend.
JRR
Dane49

Post by Dane49 »

Download the game to your regular C program files.Do not let it install in the x86 program files it won't run there. Next download the latest engine 5.81c I believe and open it and direct it to install in your game program folder.Open your game and look at the upper right hand corner of your start menu to make sure the engine installed(you may have to reboot till it installs.You cannot install the latest Dec13 patch till the 5.81 engine installs first.

Once you see that the 5.81 engine installed download the Dec13 patch(create a file in your game folder and name it Dec13 patch to avoid confusing it with other patches that will surely follow).
once you have the patch downloaded to the Dec13 file open your game and on the menu click update.This will open up your updater click install and direct the updater to your opened dec13 patch file-a clock timer will appear if it is updating once the clock runs down and the patch appears as update 4.09 on your updater click save and play.

Your game should be current as of this month now.I still use the Aug13 patch because I have a uniform mod that won't play with the Dec13 patch.
Being new to the series though it's best you get your game as current as possible for now.
If you want to add the uniform mod later I can show you how after you learn the game mechanics and become more comfortable with the workings of this system.

All these engine updates and patches will be in your Gamersgate library.
Please only buy from GG if you don't want some problems updating properly.

Return to “General Discussion”