Better aircraft

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

kevini100

Better aircraft

Post by kevini100 »

Hey all,

So if I read it right then the Tony is a better fighter than the Tojo. The Tojo is a slightly faster but the Tony is better on a few other things. Also Helens seem better than Sally's. I haven't read of anybody going 100% Tony's and Helen's yet. Also those Ki-51 sonya's seem too fragile for bombing big land units and they are short legged as well. Is there anyway to manipulate the ugrade tree path to get away from these sonya's?

K

Terminus

RE: Better aircraft

Post by Terminus »

Nope. The Sonia's pretty much it. The Japanese simply didn't have a proper close support dive bomber, similar to the Stuka.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
kevini100

Post by kevini100 »

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Nope. The Sonia's pretty much it. The Japanese simply didn't have a proper close support dive bomber, similar to the Stuka.

I wonder what Stuka stats would like compared to the Sonia's?

K-
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

The Stuka (Ju 87-B2) was slower (238mph vs. 264mph) and shorter ranged (491 miles vs. 659 miles). However, the German plane could carry 2,205lb of bombs to the Ki-51's 441lb. I know which one I'd rather have...
Sneer

Post by Sneer »

you should still have lot of Mary and Ann planes and you can go back to them
you sacrefice armor but get range and payload
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

Stuka was also an excellent bombing platform.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Yup, very stable...
bbbf

Post by bbbf »

But just like the Sonia, it was a dead duck when you lost air superiority.

It's gamey, but you can (early on) convert your sonia's back to Ann's (I think it was Ann's), and from here you can convert them to Lily's, then to Sally's or Helen's.

Robert Lee
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: bbbf

It's gamey, but you can (early on) convert your sonia's back to Ann's (I think it was Ann's), and from here you can convert them to Lily's, then to Sally's or Helen's.

Not all units with the Ann convert into Lily's, just a few specially designated ones (but modders can go into the database and set all DB units to upgrade to Lilys if they want). The upgrade path for the Ann is still the Sonia in most instances.
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

So if I read it right then the Tony is a better fighter than the Tojo. The Tojo is a slightly faster but the Tony is better on a few other things. Also Helens seem better than Sally's. I haven't read of anybody going 100% Tony's and Helen's yet. Also those Ki-51 sonya's seem too fragile for bombing big land units and they are short legged as well. Is there anyway to manipulate the ugrade tree path to get away from these sonya's?

Sure there is. In my forst stock game I upgraded ALL light bombers in JAAF to Ki-21s - it just took some creative work. You can do 2 or 3 conversions to the same squadron at one moment to make it have what you want if you have the political points.
GaryChildress

Post by GaryChildress »

ORIGINAL: Sneer

you should still have lot of Mary and Ann planes and you can go back to them
you sacrefice armor but get range and payload

I was wondering about that, if it might not be better to have a few squadrons of Anns or Marys just for those reasons.
el cid again

Post by el cid again »

Actually, there is. Japan bought the Stuka and made the Val from it. The army also made a plane from it - or it was a Val - it is hard to tell which?
They didn't buy it because they came to see the Ki-45 and Ki-48 as longer legged light bombers, and the Ki-43II as a short legged light bomber. But if you want the option of the Ki-53 (or whatever it was) - I can create it for you in a few minutes.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

I can create my own planes, thanks all the same...
Ideologue

Post by Ideologue »

ORIGINAL: bbbf

I don't find it particularly gamey. :p
Sneer

Post by Sneer »

me too
you have stocks of old planes - why not to use them in asw role ?

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”