Weird/Annoying/Stupid WIF moments

World in Flames is the computer version of Australian Design Group classic board game. World In Flames is a highly detailed game covering the both Europe and Pacific Theaters of Operations during World War II. If you want grand strategy this game is for you.

Moderator: Shannon V. OKeets

vonpaul

Weird/Annoying/Stupid WIF moments

Post by vonpaul »

Playing the extended WIF - Superdeluxe scenario 1939-1950+

Russia got the bright Idea that he wanted to play America in Flames instead of World in Flames and secretly joined the Axis from the start. End result was a plain as the stupidity of the Russian player . [:@]
-Non-aggression pact renewed every year by Soviet player so no German garrisons needed on eastern border.
-Totat dominance of Europe(Except England) by start of '41 (90% of German army vs Spain&english , yeah right!!!)
-Successful sealion in '41 with Japanese help.
-Axis backstab on Soviet union (due to him not building 'enough' ships lol!)
Germany almost having the v3 by late '43 which meant that nowhere was safe (they can reach america)
Axis conquest of Russia certain by late '44 would mean that the only contintent free from Axis domination would be America - and of course Australia :))

Please note newbies that alot of these things cant happen in a 'normal' WIF game this was a special (although official) scenario with lots of 'extra'(gassspp!)[X(] rules , counters etc.

Unfortuntely WIF scope of play does allow alot of freaky stuff and doesnt compensate for stupidity.

And yes I was the Commonwealth [:@]
YohanTM2

RE: Weird/Annoying/Stupid WIF moments

Post by YohanTM2 »

ORIGINAL: vonpaul

Playing the extended WIF - Superdeluxe scenario 1939-1950+

Russia got the bright Idea that he wanted to play America in Flames instead of World in Flames and secretly joined the Axis from the start. End result was a plain as the stupidity of the Russian player . [:@]
-Non-aggression pact renewed every year by Soviet player so no German garrisons needed on eastern border.
-Totat dominance of Europe(Except England) by start of '41 (90% of German army vs Spain&english , yeah right!!!)
-Successful sealion in '41 with Japanese help.
-Axis backstab on Soviet union (due to him not building 'enough' ships lol!)
Germany almost having the v3 by late '43 which meant that nowhere was safe (they can reach america)
Axis conquest of Russia certain by late '44 would mean that the only contintent free from Axis domination would be America - and of course Australia :))

Please note newbies that alot of these things cant happen in a 'normal' WIF game this was a special (although official) scenario with lots of 'extra'(gassspp!)[X(] rules , counters etc.

Unfortuntely WIF scope of play does allow alot of freaky stuff and doesnt compensate for stupidity.

And yes I was the Commonwealth [:@]

One of the reasons I am a strong fan of the old DOD I is that it allowed for some changes to the start of the game (which can be needed when you have played 50+ games [;)]).

It worked well and if it was too lopsided you just redid the DOD I part and it didn't wreck months of actual WiF gaming. We found DOD II to be way too unbalancing and most games we tried were neer even close to finished.

Holding out hopes for DOD III but I would love if they added the DOD I rules as a later option to MWiF.
terje439

Post by terje439 »

A stupid WIF moment? have to be when my pal managed to drop his lighter onto the eastern front in jan/feb 42 [:@]
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
Major Victory

Post by Major Victory »

An annoying moment. Having to pick up the pieces from a finished game and reset up a new one (an evenings effort). Looking forward to having the computer version doing this for me.[[:@]
YohanTM2

Post by YohanTM2 »

ORIGINAL: Major Victory

An annoying moment. Having to pick up the pieces from a finished game and reset up a new one (an evenings effort). Looking forward to having the computer version doing this for me.[[:@]

Major?? I thought you were the Captain [;)]
Major Victory

Post by Major Victory »

Major?? I thought you were the Captain

I was promoted after kickin your butt[:'(]
Cheesehead

Post by Cheesehead »

Stupid is waiting until last year to buy WiF. I'm 40 years old! To think of all of those wasted years...[:-]
You can't fight in here...this is the war room!
vonpaul

Post by vonpaul »

I was lucky, i stumbled upon this little gem when i was 18, been playing ever since.
coregames

Post by coregames »

I played my first game of WiF (edition 4.5) in '91/'92, and we managed to play the Pearl Harbor turn on the 50th anniversary of the Japanese attack. Most recently, we started our current campaign on the 65th anniversary of the German invasion of Poland. It's kind of cool, if a bit morbid, to celebrate such important moments in play.

As far as wierd stupid moments, I would have to say when the Russians left their garrison stripped during our attempt to conquer Spain and seize Gibralter, in an effort to lure us into a 1940 DoW. It worked, but we only went for it because he failed to put a guy in Leningrad; they saved Gibralter eventually, only to see the Axis crush Russia from every conceivable direction. Annoying to his Allies, but not for us!
"The creative combination lays bare the presumption of a lie." -- Lasker

Keith Henderson
Irish Guards

Post by Irish Guards »

Since 1977 I think, first edition of WiF. What a difference since the game was first published... !!

Just had to show it to a few gaming friends and we been waring ever since ,,, Easily premier game in scope, scale and theater.

Irish Guards
MButtazoni

Post by MButtazoni »

Easily premier game in scope, scale and theater.

I would disagree, in my opinion (and it's just an opinion) this is a far better boargame: http://aworldatwar.com (latest incarnation of A3R and ERS)

don't get me wrong though, I loved WiF when i played it
Maurice Buttazoni
Project Coordinator, Playtest Coordinator

stewart_king

Post by stewart_king »

I'm interested in World at War. Anything that Gary Grigsby's involved with is likely to be good. But 3rd Reich and its clones I found annoying. (Mostly I played in high school, in the 1970's, although I played the Advanced game once when it came out.) The naval war was always an afterthought in the system, even later on. The units were annoyingly identical. There was very little politics. WiF has a much higher level of "chrome".

Stewart King
Stewart R. King
coregames

Post by coregames »

ORIGINAL: Irish Guards

Since 1977 I think, first edition of WiF. What a difference since the game was first published... !!

Just had to show it to a few gaming friends and we been waring ever since ,,, Easily premier game in scope, scale and theater.

Irish Guards

Actually, WiF was created in the mid '80s... not even Empires in Arms was being produced in '77 (published in 1983).

Keith Henderson
Mziln

Post by Mziln »

ORIGINAL: coregames
Actually, WiF was created in the mid '80s... not even Empires in Arms was being produced in '77 (published in 1983).

LINK: America in Flames, Patton in Flames, World in Flames and all their components and kits, in both their electronic and printed forms, are Copyright 1985 ~ 2004, Australian Design Group.

LINK: I belive that Avalon Hill originaly published WiF but can't find the actual release date.

Did Australian Design Group licence Avalon Hill to publish the game? Unfortunately most of the links I have found are to old and broken to find out.

[:D] I know I will be corrected if I'm wrong. [:D]

Annoying WIF moment: Setup
MButtazoni

Post by MButtazoni »

I belive that Avalon Hill originaly published WiF but can't find the actual release date.

WiF was never published by Avalon Hill
Maurice Buttazoni
Project Coordinator, Playtest Coordinator

coregames

Post by coregames »

ORIGINAL: Mziln

LINK: America in Flames, Patton in Flames, World in Flames and all their components and kits, in both their electronic and printed forms, are Copyright 1985 ~ 2004, Australian Design Group.

LINK: I belive that Avalon Hill originaly published WiF but can't find the actual release date.

Did Australian Design Group licence Avalon Hill to publish the game? Unfortunately most of the links I have found are to old and broken to find out.

[:D] I know I will be corrected if I'm wrong. [:D]

Annoying WIF moment: Setup
I think a visit to ADG's site might be informative Mziln... especially the "About Us" part. No slight against Avalon Hill, they have set the standard by which other wargames are judged.

http://www.a-d-g.com.au/

Keith Henderson
Mziln

Post by Mziln »

ORIGINAL: coregames

I think a visit to ADG's site might be informative Mziln... especially the "About Us" part. No slight against Avalon Hill, they have set the standard by which other wargames are judged.

http://www.a-d-g.com.au/

I went to over 20 sites (ADG was one of the first) looking for a release date.

It just seamed like it came out before 85 (In my case senility must be setting in).

I finaly did find this at a Norwegian site though:

World in Flames (Clasic)

Utmerkelser: (<-- I have no clue what this word means. There are no Norwegian online translation sites)

1986 - Game of the year -Fire & Movement Award
1986 - State of the art -Fire & Movement Award
1986 - Best 20th century Game -Fire & Movement Award
1986 - Wargame of the decade -Fire & Movement Award
terje439

Post by terje439 »

ORIGINAL: Mziln

I finaly did find this at a Norwegian site though:

World in Flames (Clasic)

Utmerkelser: (<-- I have no clue what this word means. There are no Norwegian online translation sites)

1986 - Game of the year -Fire & Movement Award
1986 - State of the art -Fire & Movement Award
1986 - Best 20th century Game -Fire & Movement Award
1986 - Wargame of the decade -Fire & Movement Award

utmerkelser=awards
"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")
meyerg

Funny WiF moment

Post by meyerg »

Playing at THE boardgaming convention in LA around '90 (rules around 5th edition) when Harry and ADG always came from Austalia. Key rule that has since been changed, when you rolled weather to start a turn, that weather was in effect entire turn. I am Germany, Japan is having a rough time on the Pacific map. I set up for the one in six chance it is clear March/April 41, and it is. Russia is not set up well and expected to place two key HQs coming in March/April. I do some ground strikes, move my German troops and then announce my attacks. The American/Chinese player notices the huge pile of Russian dead and hears me announce attacks and says you must be on your second impulse, so we can start our second impulse on this map. I had to inform "NO, those Russians all died during the movement portion of my first impulse, now we need to resolve some 7-1 Blitzkriegs in the attack portion." This did not do well for allied morale.
vonpaul

RE: Funny WiF moment

Post by vonpaul »

haha! went to CANCON (australian gaming convention) and played WIF:FE. Played as the Axis and the american player abandoned all the the pacific to concentrate on Europe and then decided He had to 'go' and left his teammates to their fate for the last day of the tourney. I was on the Axis 'winning' side so didnt annoy me that much (apart from the fact that I was the Germans and the Jap's got a free cake in the pacific) ended up in the Urals anyway. [:D]

Return to “World in Flames”