Winning against a larger Guizarean?

The Galaxy Lives On! Distant Worlds, the critically acclaimed 4X space strategy game is back with a brand new 64-bit engine, 3D graphics and a polished interface to begin an epic new Distant Worlds series with Distant Worlds 2. Distant Worlds 2 is a vast, pausable real-time 4X space strategy game. Experience the full depth and detail of turn-based strategy, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game.

Moderator: MOD_DW2

LoBlo

Winning against a larger Guizarean?

Post by LoBlo »

Okeedokee, here's another challenging scenario, tell me what strategy you would employ.

Your mid-game and facing three giant empires, you being the 4th largest. The game started as 11 npcs but its mid game now and 3 giants have emerged: Teekans, Humans, and Hornets. You didn't mean to be 4th in size, but you were tied up fighting off 4 hostile empires on your flanks and while busy conquering those, you discover that nonadjacent empires have blown up to giants, make your previous wars look like a walk in the park...

They equal you in tech. Is there a winning strategy? Originally, I made treaties with the Teekans and Humans to try to isolate the hornets as my closest rival. Or is the game already lost.

I tried to attack the larger Hornet empire, but they're using a swarming missile and fighter tactics (a very cool effect for insectoid themed faction) that overwhelm my fleet PD despite most ships had three multibeam sentinel PD systems each. My ships were based around torps and PD.

I was thinking that the only viable strategy against the hornet swarm was titan blasters that would be dual purpose. Enough damage to take out the cruisers but also able to be used as PD for swarms of missiles and fighters as well.

What strategy would you employ against the Guizareans?😊

On a side note, this is why the game needs an in-game battle simulator.

LB
fruitgnome

Re: Winning against a larger Guizarean?

Post by fruitgnome »

I'm interested so upload a save.
Do you design ships and bases manual or auto?
LoBlo

Post by LoBlo »

fruitgnome wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:15 am I'm interested so upload a save.
Do you design ships and bases manual or auto?
Sure, does the forums have an upload section or do I need to find a file sharing site?
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

7z as zip and then https://easyupload.io/.
GHerr

Post by GHerr »

im interested in the advise. i find it very hard to dig out of such holes.
LoBlo

Post by LoBlo »

fruitgnome wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 1:53 am 7z as zip and then https://easyupload.io/.
Sure thing. Here's the link:
https://easyupload.io/janduo

I'm using a few mods in this order
1. Refreshed Components Facilities and Events
2. Refreshed Flags
3. Anex Realistic System Names
4. No Independents.

They can be found on the Steam Workshop.

Try it out and see what you think. My current strategy is to re-equip my cruisers and battleships with titan blasters and try another go at the hornets. I could take on the Teekan, but thye're no so hostile and don't keep trying to constantly push out my mining ops. Plus mice are a lot more furry than hornets!

The other strategy I'm thinking is to just bide my time with the superious Ikkuro colony tech and overtake their developement over time. The worry is that I'll probably never be able to match the Teekan or Hornet reproduction rate so I probably will never catch there economy despite better colony tech. If that's the case, I'll loose ground with time, rather than improve my chances. Also, the hornets have been notoriously showing up with my tech on their ships, so I think they are having successful spy ops without my detection despite 100% of my spys on counter-espionage.

I'm curious to if you find a winning strategy. Its interesting.
LoBlo

Post by LoBlo »

Also, I'm watching Sethar's Youtube Teekan playthrough. He's running into the same situation where the hornets are 4 times his size and he hasn't made a plan to take them on yet. I like his quote at 22:37 "these guys are scary to look at" :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o-0GfZ17OY&t=904s
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

How do you want to win:
- by victory conditions
- only defeat gizurean
- defeat all
?

May I bombard colonies or only invasions?

Tipps:
- Don't reserve money, excess for research is to important.
- Upgrade planetary administration buildings
- Set base buildung and repair abandon ships and bases on auto (repair the planet destroyer)
- Research at next torrent drive
- Combine torpedoes with titan blasters
- Recreation maintance savings work on all ships and bases
- Why are your fleets so small, 26 and even 30 ships in fleet works great with the ui
- Cancel protection agreement with pirate
- Fighters with ion weapons are great
- Fighters and bombers not only shilds also ion armor
- Retreat at 50% shields or any armor damage means attack, flee, attack and so on
- Set auto things for manual fleets
- Retire idle explorations ships
- Fighters/Bombers more reactors are better than fuel cells
- Weapon angles are very important
LoBlo

Post by LoBlo »

Those are good tips. Recreational facilities on other ships/bases. I've never thought about Ion cannons on fighters. Are they able to disrupt target systems more effectively in small mass ion firing rather than ship sized loadouts?

What do you mean about don't reserve money? You mean in the empire control window?

I prefer a distributed fleet of ships that I combine when making difficult assaults. I used to concentrate all my ships in fewer larger fleets and concentrate their efforts on enemy strongholds. It works, but the cleanup and the numerous small invasions they allow is annoying. Now I distribute the ships around in defensive and raiding fleets. When I see a massive enemy fleet or target, I combine 3-4 fleets (for about 40 ships) for an assault, like on a capital.

My games are always all or nothing. Winning means conquering anything and everyone. Since its Ikkuro, bombarding has its own penalty to your colony happiness, but its all options on deck.

lb
iancmtaylor

Post by iancmtaylor »

Ikkuro have the second best troops, iirc. Food for thought.
I am /u/SharkMolester, moderator of /r/DistantWorlds and BFHKitteh, admin of https://dw2.fandom.com/wiki/Distant_Worlds_2_Wiki.
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

@LoBlo How it works for you?
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

Now it's nearly uplayable:

https://easyupload.io/imszez

And the fighter/bomber problem that a fleet is jumping... forever and never jumps is not yet fixed.
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

Now it's unplayable:
https://easyupload.io/4paeqd

Disappointing.
LoBlo

Post by LoBlo »

So I this strategy worked for me

1. Switched to titan blaster for dual pd and ship combat. It made my range short, but the dps to hit point ratio of the fleets generally means it impossible to keep at distance and most battles are point black anyway.

2. Distributed small fleets for defense

I bid my time and sure enough the hornets and the teekans go to war. War of titans. When the hornet fleets were busy engaging teekan targets on their border I declare war and start invading their colonies while they were stretch too thin to defend. I ended up conquering 6 colonies in rapid session as well as bombarding their homeworld to dust. It was a reputation hit, but well worth the crippling effect it had on their income to take out there most profitable planet. They quickly asked for a very favorable peace treaty with significant concessions.

Now I'm firmly able to outpace their fleet development and they are still tied up with teekan forces.

Fun game.

@fruitgnome. Sorry, not where I could download. What's unplayable?
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

Click on "Free Turbo Download".
It interests me a lot if you can play my last savegame.
Unplayable cause of lagging I can't play it anymore.
LoBlo

Post by LoBlo »

fruitgnome wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:50 pm Click on "Free Turbo Download".
It interests me a lot if you can play my last savegame.
Unplayable cause of lagging I can't play it anymore.
Oh, yeah, it stresses out my system quiet a bit. I can't do more than 2x, but my system still handles the load enough to play it.

I probably won't play over 1000 stars after this game.
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

How much memory you have? I have 32 GB. Maybe I will buy more if this is the bottleneck.
Can you even click on military enemy targets?

Under 1000 stars the galaxy is smaller, unfortunately.
LoBlo

Post by LoBlo »

fruitgnome wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 6:41 pm How much memory you have? I have 32 GB. Maybe I will buy more if this is the bottleneck.
Can you even click on military enemy targets?

Under 1000 stars the galaxy is smaller, unfortunately.
I recently upgraded to 128GB, 16 cores and it was noticeably faster. Made an immediate difference and 2000 stars was easily playable.
fruitgnome

Post by fruitgnome »

THX good to know. Nice system. Real 16 cores or are some virtual? I have AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | 6x 3,7GHz, 32MB L3.
LoBlo

Post by LoBlo »

16 real cores. 3.2 GHz. I have a GeForce RTX 4070. Once the price comes down, I'll plan to go for the RTX 4090. That's a total step up in performance.

Return to “Distant Worlds 2”