Swedish Visbly class corvette HSwMS Karlstad

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

DWReese

Swedish Visbly class corvette HSwMS Karlstad

Post by DWReese »

Is the Swedish Visbly class corvette HSwMS Karlstad in the database? If so, I'm not finding it.
Nikel

Re: Swedish Visbly class corvette HSwMS Karlstad

Post by Nikel »

AFAIK not all the units with their respective names are available, you have to edit the name or rename.

For the Visby class of Swedish corvettes, if the Karlstad was commissioned in 2015 I would chose the 2013 variant, and edit the name.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visby-class_corvette

V.png
V.png (21.47 KiB) Viewed 269 times

Or if you want to change after adding the unit, with the hotkey "R", you may rename it.

R.png
R.png (2.09 KiB) Viewed 266 times
DWReese

Post by DWReese »

Thanks, I simply couldn't find it I never thought to look by name when I saw how old the rest of the ships were with that name.

So, is the new Chinese stealthy frigate, based on this design, included in the database? If so, what is it called?
Nikel

Post by Nikel »

I edited the name, did not search by name.

You have to search by class, and edit the name of the ship.

The new frigate, I do not find it. It has no name yet?

https://www.twz.com/sea/chinas-mysterio ... out-to-sea

You may sort by date, these are the last Chinese surface ships by date.

ChS.png
ChS.png (48.09 KiB) Viewed 235 times
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

DWReese wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:56 pm Thanks, I simply couldn't find it I never thought to look by name when I saw how old the rest of the ships were with that name.
Your fist issue is you are spelling Visby wrong. Second, you always have to search by class. Third, According to Navypedia, The Karlstad was commissioned in 2015 as a Visby class corvette. The Karlstad and Nykoping are the names of the Visby class that commissioned in 2015. There are five total in class that were commissioned between 2002 and 2015. All are operational.

btw, Navyperia lists it as a corvette. But its slightly on the large size for a corvette, but small for a frigate.
Last edited by thewood1 on Thu May 16, 2024 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

As to the PLAN "stealth" frigate. Its not based directly on the Visby. It bears some similarities because of the stealth features leading to weird angles and partially concealed gun mount. Its still not fully in service and might never be. Navypedia lists commissioning date as 2025. But its also listed as a prototype and likely not to be a class of ships. They will most likely apply what they learn to ships in a standard class. Its probably not in CMO because its a prototype and a lot of it is subject to change.
DWReese

Post by DWReese »

There was recently an article about the Chinese ship. I know nothing about it other than the article.

1.) I copied the name directly from the article, so if my spelling is incorrect, you'll have to blame it on the article as I can't misspell something that I didn't know existed in the first place, other than the article.

2.) The article, one again, identified it as a corvette. Since it had no pictures, it's easy to see, once again, why I called it a corvette.

3.) I never stated based "directly" on the Swedish frigate. (That was YOUR word.) I stated, according to the article, that it appears to be based on the Swedish ship.

Lastly, does any of what you are mentioning even matter? You knew what I was looking for. The reference to the Swedish ship should have been enough of a hint for you. Frigate or corvette, does it really matter?

In any case, thanks to those responsible for pointing me in the proper direction as to locating and learning something about the Swedish ship.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

"based on this design"

That was your statement and I tried to address it. Its not based on it. The PLAN ship is a 2500 t frigate and the Visb(l)y is 600 t corvette. That was my point on the term frigate.

I have read probably a dozen articles on the Visby and have never seen it spelled with an "l". Do you have a link to that article. Its obviously one I haven't seen and would like to read it. I tried searching Swedish Visbly corvette and nothing came up.

edit: The rest of the info was just pointing out why the PLAN frigate isn't in the db and that the Karlstad was a ship name, not a class name.
Last edited by thewood1 on Thu May 16, 2024 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nikel

Post by Nikel »

It is the twz article linked above.

2 times spelled Visbly and 1 time Visby.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”