Split WP Co. into platoons

Please post your wish lists for future updates and releases here.

Moderator: MOD_Flashpoint

Tcao

Split WP Co. into platoons

Post by Tcao »

I am wondering if it is possible to see some of the WP mainline units be put on the map as platoons.
The co. size Mot Inf and Tanks units carry a lot of punch but they are too cumbersome, too easy to get spotted. Especially during a WP defend scenario, when you need small size units to setup ambush or delay action, but all you have is a dug in BTR infantry co. that can be spotted 2000m away.

I guess we have two approachs here
1, leave this to scenario designer. in a WP defense scenario , put most of WP units as platoon on the map, keep some units as Co. (assuming they will carry out counter attack task)

2, add a mechanism to allow player to split or combine during the game. Of course some penalty are needed. For example a Mot Inf Co. can be split into Plt A, B, C. Company commander is attached with Plt A. Plt B and C are subordinated under Plt A. They cannot change to a different command. Plt A's command range is only 5hex, etc.
CapnDarwin

Re: Split WP Co. into platoons

Post by CapnDarwin »

WP platoons are a tough one. As you note, on the attack, the structure is really company based for the doctrine. On the defensive, we would need to really see if the company structure has more than a 500-meter footprint on the defensive.

As for options, we could look at platoon formations for scenario designers to use. The split and merge are possible, but we already know that it is not a quick feature to implement and could take months to work out on top of the other things we are doing.

The team will have to review this item after the holidays and the January update.
OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC
TarkError

Post by TarkError »

frontages.jpg
frontages.jpg (70.01 KiB) Viewed 546 times
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

TarkError, Thanks for the info. It would lend weight to having Soviet Platoons in defensive scenarios. Some food for thought over the holidays.

dpabrams

Post by dpabrams »

You can always add 3-4 tank platoons to <Misc. Ground Units> in the CW 80s Soviet Union: Formations database. Jim taught me that and now I am off editing the entire database wormhole.
Vote for Pedro
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

I'll talk to the team and see if we can go ahead and release the WP Platoon-level data files for you guys to use in your own scenarios. I'll keep you posted on what the decision is.

CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

There are a number of data file changes and updates in the works to support new or improved features so there will be a significant update of files for the 2.1.4 update coming early next year.

dpabrams

Post by dpabrams »

CapnDarwin wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:13 pm I'll talk to the team and see if we can go ahead and release the WP Platoon-level data files for you guys to use in your own scenarios. I'll keep you posted on what the decision is.
Hah! I have edited so much data I am locked into what I have. In hindsight I should have been more careful because my formation and unit edits means I am pretty much locked into making my own scenarios. :o
Vote for Pedro
CapnDarwin

Post by CapnDarwin »

You can post scenarios for others without the data files if you want. Scenarios contain all the required data to run.

Return to “Requested Features and Ideas”