Steel Core AAR

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes or how you had your Titan shot out from under you.

Moderator: MOD_TitansOfSteel

Iskandar

Steel Core AAR

Post by Iskandar »

Looking at the other couple of Hard Core AAR going around, I decided to try it out myself.
My first attempt was a complete disaster when I got involved in a cascading series of engine explosions.

My second attempt, however, I managed to scrape out of okay. I got stuck on a core map, and had to bring four recons against 3 lights. Things went from bad to worse when one my jocks died while ejecting from a mauled and overheated Titan. However, I hung tight and continued pounding away. Unfortunately, my recons just could not dissapate heat, while the lights could. Another of my jocks was forced to eject, safely this time, and a third was going that way, and I had yet to drop any of the opposing team. Luckily one of the light Titans retreated away into lava and failed his piloting skill roll. The sound of a Titan shutting down was heard shortly thereafter. Realizing what was about to happen, my two remaining Titans attempted to flee the impending explosion, and failed. My two remaing Titans and one of the enemy took 16 points of explosion damage, plus even more heat. A draw was offered, and I accepted gratefully.

After upkeep, repairs, and hiring a replacement jock, I made only about 10k profit. Worse, because I randomly determine a set number of battles before I can move onto a new terrain I still have two more battles on core maps. I fear my recons just won't be able to compete against lights if they are encountered again. I guess I'll just have to hope I roll low when determining team balance. (note: under my system, the lowest I can get this way is the -25% to +25%, which might still cause problems).

So far, this has been fun, not to mention challenging. I'm keeping notes on everything, and can post them here from battle to battle here if anyone is interested.
aquietfrog

RE: Steel Core AAR

Post by aquietfrog »

Nice to know more ToS:WS players are playing hard core.
Burzmali

Post by Burzmali »

Yeah, it might motivate me to write up the disastrous encounter that ended the Knights streak in my AAR ;)
Iskandar

Post by Iskandar »

In case anyone cares, this is my record keeping thus far... will run the second battle tonight.

Campaign 1 - 3 Missions on Core Maps

Mission 1:
Human Team (Rookie Skill)
Gwen on Swift Death (l)
Otis on Marshal
O'ren on Locust
Jasmine on Rapier
160t

Opposing Team (Rookie Skill)
Hulk on Meteor
Brutus on Whip (l)
Hawk on Tempest
210t

Small Map
Map %
Lava 23%
Cover 32%
Hills 24%

Results:
Draw!
Bear Died on ejection
Hulk fell into lava and died when his Titan exploded
Meteor Destroyed by overheating in lava and exploding

$045643 Starting Funds
+$000000 Salvage
+$012000 Bounty
+$125000 Payment

$182643 Subtotal
-$021271 Upkeep
-$084042 Repairs
-$025000 New Hire
_______
$052330 Ending Funds

Mission 2:
LarkinVB

Post by LarkinVB »

Seems you have imposed some hard rules which might lead to disaster. Core maps on recons against -25% at best ? What the upper possible opposition you can face ? Same ranks always ? Thought the game has ended its lifecycle, nice someone is still playing.
Iskandar

Post by Iskandar »

actually, team balnce is randomly determined by a d6 roll.
1 0 to 25% in my favour.
2-3 -25% to +25%
4-5 0% to 25% in the opposing teams favour
6 0 to 50% in favour of the enemy.

Team rank is obtained the same way
1 1 rank below
2-4 same rank
5 1 rank above
6 2 ranks above

As for being stuck on core, yeah, I REALLY wish the dice hadn't landed like that. But, if I'm going to play this honestly, I must use what the dice give me.
It's a challenge, and suprisingly fun. I just need to get through these next 2 battles so I can get off of these core maps.
Hopefully, I'll roll low enough and won't have to fight much more in the way of light Titans.
Iskandar

Post by Iskandar »

And Steel Core has died as well. My leader was jumping across some lava and got shot. She then failed her piloting skill roll and tumbled from the air. Before she could stand her Titan shut down.

Sigh. I hate lava.

Oh well, try again...
aquietfrog

Post by aquietfrog »

I would really recommend that you be nice to yourself and fight your first 5 missions on a non-Core map. Seriously.
Sleeping_Dragon

Post by Sleeping_Dragon »

Naa.... stick it out in core it will make all the other terrians a cakewalk. What don't kill you makes you stronger... well... unless it kills you[;)]

If you're going to do a lot of recons in core... pick them VERY carefully and consider doing 'tweaks' on them in the factory.
Power does not corrupt; It merely attracts the corruptable.

AKA: Bblue
Coyote27

Post by Coyote27 »

ORIGINAL: LarkinVB
Thought the game has ended its lifecycle, nice someone is still playing.

Whaaa??

I was wondering why I never saw anyone on icq to challenge :-/ I thought they were just afraid of me....
-Coyote
Burzmali

Post by Burzmali »

ORIGINAL: Coyote27

Whaaa??

I was wondering why I never saw anyone on icq to challenge :-/ I thought they were just afraid of me....

If you (or anyone) can get Matrix to front a little swag for a tournament, you'd see just how many challengers there are [8D]

Return to “After Action Reports”