Coin Toss

Discussion of the rules of football and how they pertain to the game.

Moderator: David Winter

Marauders

Coin Toss

Post by Marauders »

In NCAA, NFL, and CFL football, the winner of the coin toss selects either the endzone to defend, to receive the kick off, or to kick off. The team that does not select at the start of the game is allowed to select at the start of the second half. If team A, after winning the coin toss, elects to defend a side of the field, and team B elects to receive the ball, team B still gets to select to either defend an endzone or receive the kickoff in the second half.

In the NCAA and CFL, a team may defer to the second half, which is more likely on windy days in the CFL.

As this applies to Maximum Football, there is no choice given to team B at the start of the second half. This is important, as a team that elects to defend an endzone (Kick) in the first half would often not receive the kickoff in the second half as well. Since the game does not have a second half choice or the ability to defer in NCAA and CFL games, that option is not available.

If Maximum Football 3 has wind effects, defend a goal and defer choices may play a part, but as it is now there is really no reason to select to Kick in the game, so the coin toss is just a formality.

On a side note, the default selection is set at kick, and it really should be set at receive. I have hit the spacebar trying to start a quick game and ended up kicking off. One should have to select defend a goal (Kick) on purpose.
dreamtheatervt

RE: Coin Toss

Post by dreamtheatervt »

ORIGINAL: Marauders
In the NCAA and CFL, a team may defer to the second half, which is more likely on windy days in the CFL.

You can defer in the NFL and high school as well. Defer is always an option IRL. It is possible for the same team to kick off to start both halfs. Say Team A won the coin toss and deferred, so Team B takes the ball. In the second half, Team A gets the choice first - they could choose any option including to kickoff. This is why teams defer, they want the ball in the second half. If they chose to kickoff to start the game, the other team could still choose to take the ball in the second half.
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

Marauders stated: In the NCAA and CFL, a team may defer to the second half, which is more likely on windy days in the CFL.
DTVT stated: You can defer in the NFL and high school as well. Defer is always an option IRL.

The option to defer is available in high school, but there is not the option to defer in the NFL.

Here is the NFL rule:
Coin Toss

The toss of coin will take place within three minutes of kickoff in center of field. The toss will be called by the visiting captain before the coin is flipped. The winner may choose one of two privileges and the loser gets the other:
(a) Receive or kick
(b) Goal his team will defend

Immediately prior to the start of the second half, the captains of both teams must inform the officials of their respective choices. The loser of the original coin toss gets first choice.

It is possible for the same team to kick off to start both halfs.

Yes, as is indicated by both my first example and your example.
This is why teams defer, they want the ball in the second half.

That is sometimes the case.

In the CFL, teams defer because of wind conditions. They want to have the best conditions in the fourth quarter.
If they chose to kickoff to start the game, the other team could still choose to take the ball in the second half.

That is correct. That is why teams generally do not elect to kick; they elect to defend a goal, or they receive the ball. In the CFL, NCAA, and high school, they may also elect to defer.

There is little advantage to electing to kick, but some coaches have done so in the NFL. The Giants elected to kick off to the Vikings in a playoff game because the wind conditions were very poor.
Marauders

Post by Marauders »

Here is a nice article on this topic:
Dr.Z @ SportsIllustrated.com

Why don't more teams elect to kick off when they win the coin toss? What's so great about receiving right away? He cites the scenario of a team gaining an advantageous position by kicking off at the start, having the last possession of the first half and then a second one, back-to-back, i.e., the opening possession of half No. 2. Well, I'll need a new paragraph to answer all this because the current one is getting kind of overloaded.

I think a team like the Ravens, with a crushing defense and so-so offense, should choose to kick off every time, but no coach would agree. It sends a bad message to the offense, although the defense would love it. Lyle Alzado once told me that the guys on the '77 Orange Crush Broncos defense always wanted to lose the coin toss, so they'd be on the field right away. I asked their coach, Red Miller, why he didn't elect to kick all the time. He looked at me as if I were nuts.

Coaches choose to kick off when there's a heavy wind. Bill Parcells used to do it every now and then. You'd see it in Buffalo, too, late in the season, when The Hawk is flying and those terrible winds come in off Lake Erie. I like the college rule, allowing you to defer, when you win the coin toss.

As far as the back-to-back possession thing, well, they aren't really back-to-back because there's the halftime break in between. If you say it's of greater advantage to kick off in the second half, well, you can make your offensive adjustments, but the defense can make its switches, too. Good offensive coaches like to have the first possession in a game because that's when they can unveil their new stuff.
Brockleigh

Post by Brockleigh »

I personally prefer to kick-off to start the game. I'd rather have the advantage of the wind at my back in the fourth quarter than just one possession to start the game. I also like seeing what my opposition has to offer offensively first, as well as having the back-to-back possession thing, too.

Look at it this way: If you get the ball first, the most it will net you is 7 points (okay, 8 for those of you 2-point fans), but having the elements on your side for an entire quarter could assist you with multiple scoring drives.
It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta gum.

Marauders

Post by Marauders »

Brockleigh stated: I personally prefer to kick-off to start the game. I'd rather have the advantage of the wind at my back in the fourth quarter than just one possession to start the game. I also like seeing what my opposition has to offer offensively first, as well as having the back-to-back possession thing, too.

If it is a windy day, and one elects to kick off, the other team may choose which side of the field to defend. In order to get the wind one wants in the fourth quarter, one must defer to the second half.
Look at it this way: If you get the ball first, the most it will net you is 7 points (okay, 8 for those of you 2-point fans), but having the elements on your side for an entire quarter could assist you with multiple scoring drives.

That is a valid point, but being up in the game allows the defense to play more aggressive.

Since Maximum Football has neither the option to defer nor wind conditions that affect directional play, it is moot.
mudrick

Post by mudrick »

ORIGINAL: Marauders
If it is a windy day, and one elects to kick off, the other team may choose which side of the field to defend. In order to get the wind one wants in the fourth quarter, one must defer to the second half.

If it is a windy day a team would be better off selecting which side they want to defend. Not kick off. This way regardless of what the other team chooses, they have the wind against them. And they usually would choose to recieve. Then to start the 2nd half, they'll probably get the ball again.

As far as MF is concerned. I'd rather choose to kick to start the game. Because you usually need the ball more to start the 2nd half.

Return to “Rules”