AAR-SP Hemphill´s Ordeal

Post reports of your decisive victories and infamous defeats here to share with other wargamers.

Moderator: Harpoon 3

Anonymous

AAR-SP Hemphill´s Ordeal

Post by Anonymous »

This scenario is a short and quick one: Will you win the race aginst time and a bunch of Soviet subs? Or will your little convoy litter the bottom of the sea?

I´ve played through this scen both in ANW and in H3 3.6.2 a dozen times or so and it never became boring.

I have learnt the hard way that there is no time for creeping along and chasing or avoiding a sub - there are simply too many of them and they´ll get you when you´re slow. This recce bird radios your position away. The only chance is speed.

The last time - today - I secured a win.

First I lost the Gary, the flagship. The Trippe followed. But my two merchants made it to the refpoint.

This is one of those scens showing the differences between ANW and the older H3 3.6.X: While it is hard to win in ANW, it is even much harder in the old version because the subs are more aggressive there.

An interesting scenario.

btw There are many interesting books for a Pooner; one of them is Michael Palmer´s "The War that Never was."
FreekS

RE: AAR-SP Hemphill´s Ordeal

Post by FreekS »

I agree, the agressiveness of the subs in 3.6 is just amazing! I think its a real pity that all AI subs in ANW tend to creep only.  Freek
Anonymous

RE: AAR-SP Hemphill´s Ordeal

Post by Anonymous »

Hello Freek,
ORIGINAL: FreekS

I agree, the agressiveness of the subs in 3.6 is just amazing! I think its a real pity that all AI subs in ANW tend to creep only.  Freek

Has that issue been mentioned? Is it on the list? I think it is rather important.

Regards,
Ralf
hermanhum

Problem

Post by hermanhum »

ORIGINAL: koelbach
ORIGINAL: FreekS

I agree, the agressiveness of the subs in 3.6 is just amazing! I think its a real pity that all AI subs in ANW tend to creep only.

Has that issue been mentioned? Is it on the list? I think it is rather important.
This topic does not currently appear in the * Known Harpoon [ANW] Issues. If you think that it should, feel free to start up a thread on it so that it can be discussed. I think that FreekS would has some pretty strong feelings regarding the subject.
hermanhum

Problem

Post by hermanhum »

Oh, I forgot my manners.  Thanks very much for the AAR.  I'm glad that you enjoyed the scenario. [:)]

I don't know if the reason your merchants survived to reach the reference point might be due to the Unarmed units not being attacked problem.  I am uncertain because I have had my merchants sunk in ANW.  However, not nearly as often as they are sunk in H3.  [:D]

FreekS

RE: Problem

Post by FreekS »

Yes I do feel that from 3.6 to ANW subs controlled by AI have been made into minefields. Of course subs controlled by the player can go faster than creep and thus have a huge advantage. In 3.6 different missions had different speeds for subs and you could generally find one to your liking.

Freek
hermanhum

Problem

Post by hermanhum »

I don't think that discussion within an AAR thread is particularly useful.

I suggest that you start up discussion thread in either the main area or the Support sub-forum.

Also, can you provide additional details?  i.e. what missions allowed higher sub speeds in H3 and how things have changed in ANW?  Additional circumstances would be helpful, IMO

Return to “After Action Reports”