Overwhelmed, any suggestions

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers.
Hassinator

Overwhelmed, any suggestions

Post by Hassinator »

The last Hex, turn based game I owned and played was Panzer General. I went throught all of the tutorials and I'm still overwhelmed, compared to the relative simplicity of Panzer General. I'm curious how many times other people completed the tutorials before they got the hang of if? Any suggestions to help simplify the game or have I bitten off more than I can chew?
P.S. Is there a chart or something that identifies what each type of unit symbol is on the unit boxes or do you have to click on each one to determine what type of unit it is? For example, I see that the German's have a unit that is just a blue X, is that a supply, artillery, or special infantry unit, etc.?

Thanks for any help
Fred98

RE: Overwhelmed, any suggestions

Post by Fred98 »

You must imagine that the designers were once board wargamers.

But you can take advantage of computers to make a much better game - because computers can do the mundain things. And this is the basis here.

The best way to learn the game is to play small scenarios against yourself - 1st Ukrain, 2nd Ukrain, Wiking Whiteout (a scenario to download), Race to the Muese river - all excellent.

Then play the AI.

Then play be email.

This is one of the great wargames - and ther is more to come
HerbMaine

Post by HerbMaine »

Hi Hassinator,

Don't give up on the game! It's just a super game. I'd be happy to help you learn it. we could play a small scenario at first by email if you'd like, and I would answer questions every turn and help you along. It won't take long to get the hang of it. Let me know. email me at HerbMaine@aol.com
Herb
Tomus

Post by Tomus »

Hi mate,

I felt the same thing the game looked way too overwhelming. But trust me play the tutorials and it does make sense and then print off the PDF manual and read that.

You can read it at work thats what I did[:)]
UdiHrant

Post by UdiHrant »

Guys - I'mm a long time board and computer gamer but KorsunPocket is - at least initially - not very intuitive.

2 questions to maybe get us rookies over the hump.

1 - When I grab a pice and drag it into battle it helps to picture HOW MANY MEN, GUNS, AND TANKS that piece represent. So far as I can tell - in this game there is no way to tell that other then the Nato-type symbol that I think identifies it as a brigade or division - (two III or three III) but how many men make up a brigade?

2 - secondly - when the bad guy gets his move all sorts of pieces move around the board and fight but I can't tell if im winning and losing - any way to go back and anylize in detail the results if the AI's turn?

Thanks and sorry of I missed these issues in the E-manual or the printed with IMPOSSIBLE small type face manual.
Hassinator

Post by Hassinator »

Im not sure about reviewing the battle to tell how much damage you took.

Division = 3 or more brigades or regiments, 10,000 - 15,000 men
Brigade = 3 or mor battalions, 1500 - 3500 men
regiment = 2 or more companies, 400 - 1000 men
company = 2 or more platoon, 100 - 250 men
platoon = 2 or more squads, 16 - 50 men
squad = 2 or more section, 8 - 24 men
section = 4 - 12 men

In the game, if the unit has II = battalion, 400 - 1000 men
if the unit has III = regiment, 1000 - 2000 men

That should give you a scale of the amount of men your dealing with.
Hope that helps
Taiko

Post by Taiko »

There is an arrow on the bottom left side that you can use to review your opponents turn, either step-by-step, action-to-action, or continuous.

I just started my first email game with some canuck, I hope he's a newb like me. ;)

Return to “The War Room”