A Rookie AAR Union vs the AI

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderators: Joel Billings, PyleDriver

Rekm41

A Rookie AAR Union vs the AI

Post by Rekm41 »

Union 1st Turn Opening moves.

This is my first attempt at an AAR for any game that I have played from Matrix and others. I have been wargaming since I bought Panzer Blitz back when I was

only 12. Geez thats only 33 years ago. LOL. But I am so impressed with this game so I thought I might share some of my thoughts. I have read most of the

forums on this particular game so I thought I would put my own thoughts on paper so to speak.

I am taking a view point of an absolute beginner with this one hence the easy settings. When I get more familiar with the game I will of course move up to

more advanced settings, especially the FOW.

VS the AI

Settings:

AS I am knew to this game I am on easy with no FOW and the leaders are historical with no Sub-commanders chosen.

Moves:

First thing I did was move my Transport fleets around in anticipation of invading the islands on the east coast and in the Gulf. Remember you need /4 on them

so they can amphib with one Inf Brigade, whether it be militia or Regulars. If you bring a leader with a good Admin rating and build depots you can double

the effects of the union blockade.

Another thing you should do is get a good calvary leader into Washington and convert 2 Militia unit to Mounted there. Assign them to the leader in my case

Davies with his Cav rating of 4 and CTR of 3 he is pretty good.

Try to get as many militia units as you can into leaders with a good ITR 3 or better yet 4 in Washington to facilitate their training. You will need a

sizable army there to do anything to Manassas. Also you want all the troops there with a leader for the second turn if you get the initiative in Washington

in order to amphib the islands as I mentioned earlier.

The first combat took place in Grafton WV with all the forces from Wheeling, WV. It as 12200 vs 2000 troops so an overrun attack was possible. Rebs withdrew

after loosing 820 vs the Union forces loosing 60. McClellan gets a minor victory and I then move him to Washington to celebrate his victory with the big boys

there. With McClellan in Washington I move McDowell to FT.Monroe.
Wheeling, WV gets that nasty Partisan warning so make sure you move some troops in to garrison it.

The next thing I did was folster the defenses along the Kentucky Border. Or to use as an invasion as the Confederate's like to invade into Paducah and it is

hard to get them out of there once they are there. So an early invasion there maybe a neccessity even if you loose the Political points. I like to move as

many troops as I can into Cairo in anticipation of an advance into Kentucky or to try and retake it if the Rebs move in before I do.

You can take the one Cavalry unit out west and move into Joplin, MO to take it over and in subsequent turns you can move into Springfield and take over the

rest of Missouri.

Before I move to the production phase I double check the map for units that may not have leaders assigned and to ensure I have militia units assigned to the

best possible leaders for training.

Production Phase I mainly built supply in the interior areas and cruisers and transports with a couple of ironclads thrown in on the coast areas.

Will update the Confederate's moves when I end my turn

Attachments
PRODUCTIONSCREEN.jpg
PRODUCTIONSCREEN.jpg (264.64 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Keep Moving and Keep your Head DOWN!!
Rekm41

RE: A Rookie AAR Union vs the AI

Post by Rekm41 »

Confederate Turn July 1861,

Not much happened they scouted Harper's Ferry in WV with J E B Stuarts cav.

They also took Charlston, WV.

Below is a screenshot showing the situation in the East Facing at the beginning of the Union's Aug 1861 turn

Attachments
Aug1861.jpg
Aug1861.jpg (287.61 KiB) Viewed 209 times
Rekm41

RE: A Rookie AAR Union vs the AI

Post by Rekm41 »

Aug 1861

Union Turn.

Begins with Mc Clellan gaining initiative in Washington he is the Army Commander. The Theater Commander did not get initiative so only the leaders in

Washington got the initiative. But they will be able to move to Amphib to the islands in the Atlantic.

Managed to train 22 Infantry Brigades so I think I am doing something right with the way I have the forces arranged with the leaders. Now to invade some

islands and get to building some depots so I can increase the blockade against the Rebs.

Production Phase

Received 135 supplies and the Confederates did not find any shipping. Mainly build some supplys and a couple factorys to boost my production capabalities.

Attachments
productionaug61.jpg
productionaug61.jpg (187.95 KiB) Viewed 209 times

Return to “After Action Reports”