Rebel AAR 1776-1783 scenario

Post descriptions of your brilliant successes and unfortunate demises.

Moderator: MOD_BoA/AGEOD

Roads

RE: Rebel AAR 1776-1783 scenario

Post by Roads »

December 1776

Situation:

Canada: Smith and one regular maintain the siege of Montreal. Thirteen units under Carlton and Howe are in St. John.

New England:
Hamilton and the 38th foot take Providence. A beat up 17th foot takes Concord. Leslie with a weakened artillery and regular is in Westminster. Von Donop with two regulars garrisons Boston. One regular garrisons New Haven, and Phillip with six regulars and an artillery is in Brattleboro

Middle States:
The 4th New York militia is intercepted by the British regulars in Skenesboro and wiped out, inflicting only 2 hearts of damage. Ticonderoga is garrisoned by an enemy regular and a militia, Albany is ungarrisoned.

Von Riedesel with only three companies took Fort Dayton, killing the garrison for no loss. He then went on to Fort Stanwix. In the first assault both sides took two hearts, but I lost three militia companies. On the second day the fort fell. His battalion is in Stanwix, with another regular in Fort Dayton as support. A third regular arrived over the ice of Lake Ontario and is now in Osceola north of Stanwix.

Albany is ungarrisoned, but Von Knyphausen and an army of seven regulars and an artillery are in Peekskill with a regular following them in Poughkeepsie.

A British regular in Woodbury Connecticut managed to retreat before battle with Washington. I think it’s the one that ended up in Stony Point New Jersey. Grant has only two regulars and an artillery with him in Philadelphia.

Percy with a regular, light infantry and an artillery takes Princeton.

Lincoln absorbed another replacement company of regulars and reached Wyoming. Clinton and the British dragoons avoided his army in Sunbury Pennsylvania.

South Central
A slightly beat up 14th foot took Warrenton from me. The 37th foot appears to have landed in Williamsburg and is definitely now in Richmond.

The enemy Ethiopians moved on to Charlottesville and took that city.

Deep South
The Wilmington garrison did indeed offer a surprise. Cornwallis commands the garrison with four companies of regulars and four companies of militia. Gates assaulted with four companies of regulars, twelve companies of militia, and (horrifyingly) four companies of partisans. The result is a rout, Gates loses all his regulars and five companies of militia, inflicting only two hearts. He manages to retreat to Onslow before the second day of combat.

Watson with two companies of rangers beat Clark with two companies of rangers. Clark withdrew to Charlotte and Watson remained outside Salisbury.

Moultrie defeated Watson’s dragoons inflicting two hearts and taking one. The dragoons withdrew to Argyll.

British forces appear to be concentrated in Charleston. Three armies are in the city: Haldimand with one regular, Brown, presumably with the marines, and Dunmore, presumably with a militia. Ninety Six and Augusta appear to be empty.

The army in Peekskill is a bit of a concern for Washington, but all other enemy forces are weak.
Attachments
Dec76NYC2.jpg
Dec76NYC2.jpg (171.05 KiB) Viewed 346 times
Roads

Post by Roads »

December 1776

Orders:
Canada: I just hope that the 1st Maine militia can continue to hold out in Montreal and doesn’t disband. Prospects are bleak.

New England:

-I have a tough choice (again) about what to do with Greene. He has one regular and four militia under command, and there is no British force that can really threaten Portsmouth this month. Odds are at least one of the militia will disband. Boston is defended by two regulars, one of which is not at full strength. I might take it, and if I do the two Massachusetts militia will not disband. But if I fail and Philips has approached from Bratteboro, Greene could be in trouble. I decide to take the low hanging fruit – Greene is ordered to Concord and to assault the 17th foot in garrison there.
-Greene leaves the siege artillery in Portsmouth along with Warner’s rangers. If all goes well I’ll try to slip the rangers into Norwich next month.
-Garrisons in Newport and Hartford to defend.

Disband prospects: Most units are under the command of Greene, who is a charismatic leader. The Hartford garrison is Connecticut militia so will be fine. Warner’s rangers and the Connecticut militia in Newport have normal disband risk, so Newport may well be empty next month.

Middle States:

-Arnold to advance from Oswego to Fort Stanwix with an offensive posture. He has three regulars and Stark’s mountaineers in forested terrain, so even if all three Anglo German regulars unite in Stanwix he should be able to hold his own. With a bit of luck he’ll be able to assault in January before the levies.
-Washington has several options. A march into New Jersey could easily liberate Philadelphia before the January levies. This would, howeve,r leave New York and Hartford uncovered. Holding his ground in Westchester could lead to a battle with Von Knyphausen and would guarantee my control of New York. But it leave Hartford exposed to Philipps’ army. If Newport disbands, Hamilton will certainly occupy it in January, and there is a decent chance that Philipps will take Hartford this month. If so I’d be counting on the British leaving no garrison in Norwich or on Greene managing to take Boston in order to keep the rebellion alive in New England. I won’t abandon the seat of the revolt that easily. Putnam is ordered to leave his New York militia behind to garrison that town and to bring his regular battalion to Hartford. Washington is ordered to join him there.
-Lincoln to detach Allen with 6 infantry, the 2nd Continental, 1st New Jersey militia and 1st Maryland militia to take Wilkes-Barre. Lincoln to keep the two Pennsylvania miltia in garrison in Wyoming. Sullivan sent to Fort Frederick, Maryland.

Disband prospects: I was only able to get 2 Pennsylvania and 1 New York militia into garrisons to prevent disband, but to some extent this is because I’ve lost so many of my militia in garrisons over the course of 1776. All other units are commanded by Washington, Allen or Arnold, all of whom are charismatic leaders. Unless Putnam doesn’t manage to meet up with Washington, I suppose. Washington has nine regulars, so I need to be prepared to lose two. Allen will almost certainly lose one battalion.

South Central:

-Lee to detach his regular infantry and send it to garrison Norfolk, so that I will own that Tory town. He is to proceed with the supply train to join Paterson in Petersburg.
-Paterson to remain in garrison in Petersburg. I’m unwilling to start offensive actions until I’ve made it through the disband.
-2nd Virginia militia to join Paterson in the Petersburg garrison.
-I send JP Jones to Williston, North Carolina just in case I end up in trouble in Virginia.

Disband prospects: Both Virginia militia should be in garrison in Petersburg so they won’t disband. The two continentals are at risk, but that was unavoidable. They only disband 1/5 of the time anyway.

Deep South:

-Gates to take the remains of his army to New Bern where they can at least distract Cornwallis.
-Morgan to leave Clark with his rangers and the 3rd North Carolina militia in Charlotte. Morgan and his army to go to Salisbury with an offensive posture on the off chance I can catch Watson and his battalion of rangers. Morgan then to return to Charlotte.
-Moultrie to go to Argyll with an offensive posture and then to return to Savannah and garrison the city. He has all three Georgia militia with him, so sending him to Augusta risks a bad disband.

Disband prospects: The 1st South Carolina is in garrison in Camden, and the 3rd North Carolina is safe in Charlotte. There will be three Georgia militia in Savannah, so two of them are safe. Gates will likely lose one of his two militia units and could lose the second as well. Morgan has three continentals, Sumter’s partisans and two militia, so they are somewhat protected by his charisma. Moultrie’s third Georgia militia, continentals and North Carolina militia are all vulnerable, but other than taking Augusta there was no way around that. I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Roads

Post by Roads »

End of 1776

Canada: The British abandon the siege of Montreal, and the 1st Maine doesn’t disband. I’m still in Montreal! Smith and Howe and 13 other units are in St John.

New England:
Greene catches up with the 17th foot In Derry and wipes it out at no cost to himself. He loses the 1st Massachusetts militia and the veteran 2nd New Jersey to disband.

The 1st Connecticut militia in Newport disbanded and the 78th Highlanders took the town.

Washington did not reach Hartford, and lost the 5th Connecticut militia, 13th continental, 1st continental, 15th continental and 5th continental to disband. Given he’s a charismatic leader that’s a horrendous disband, and undoes most of the good work I did in keeping the continental army intact this long.

Von Knyphuasen with two regulars and a light infantry is besieging Hartford. The 3rd Grenadiers are next door in Springfield and the 38th foot is also next door in Norwich.

Leslie and Von Donop are in Boston presumably with two regulars. Another regular is in Westminster. Norwich is ungarrisoned.

Middle States:
Arnold is besieging a single full strength German regular in Fort Stanwix. He loses the 1st Continental to disband

Phillps and Von Riesedel with three regulars and an artillery are in Albany. North of Albany are an artillery each in Hoseck and Tajacook, and a regular in Saratoga. A regular garrisons Ticonderoga.

Percy with apparently four units is in West Point, while Mirbach with six regulars and an artillery are in Peekskill. Grant with a regular and an artillery are in Newark across the Hudson from New York City. It doesn’t look good for me to hold New York.

Clinton and the dragoons reappear and take Reading, Pennsylvania. A single regular holds Philadelphia.

Allen takes Wilkes-Barre and loses the 6 infantry and 1st Maryland militia to disband

South Central:
The British abandoned Charlottesville and Richmond. The 37th foot took Alexandria, and the Ethiopians took Winchester Maryland/Virginia.
The 60th Royal Americans are besieging Fort Chiswell on the Virginia frontier. Hopefully the winter will catch up with them.
I have no disband losses

Deep South:
The 14th Foot from Warrenton took Hillsboro.

Gates reaches the apparent safety of New Bern and loses the 2nd South Carolina militia to disband.
Morgan loses the 1st Delaware militia and 22nd continental to disband.

Cornwallis seems to have remained in Wilmington. Tarleton with Jameson’s dragoons is outside Fort Watson, South Carolina. A royal militia unit is in Georgetown, perhaps on the way to reinforce Cornwallis. Jones with three regulars, an artillery and a militia is in Charleston as is Brown with an another three units.

Moultrie caught up with Watson’s dragoons in Savannah and wiped them out at no cost to himself. He lost the 2nd Georgia militia to disband. A battalion of provincials is spotted in the swamps north of Savannah, and Dunmore with a militia unit garrisons Augusta.

Summary
My total losses to disband are:
Militia without a charismatic leader: I lost four out of six. Exactly par for the course.
Miltia with a charismatic leader: I lost five of eight. This is a bit disappointing – I should be able to keep more than that.
Regulars without a charismatic leader: I lost zero out of three. Good but basically expected.
Regulars with a charismatic leader: I lost seven of nineteen. Even without Washington’s terrible results this is pretty bad. Certainly this sets back the cause of the rebellion. I need some good levies this month if I am to recover.
Irregulars (rangers) without a charismatic leader: I lost none of one.
Irregulars (partisans and rangers) with a charismatic leader: I lost none of three.

Overall I’m satisfied with my progress. Since July I have killed seven British regular battalions, which means my running total is at eleven, a force equal to the British army at the start of the campaign. Slowly I am grinding them down. My own forces are badly depleted thanks to Washington’s horrible disband. But them’s the breaks. I don’t hold as much territory for the January levies as I would like. Hopefully I’ll have two strategic cities in New England and two in the Middle States, which would be alright. The small British incursion into Virginia is clearly going to cost me levies, but I couldn’t really have left more forces in Virginia to stop it without hurting myself elsewhere. In the Deep South Gates’ defeat hurt me, but my position is still pretty good, Savannah will take a serious effort for the British to take, and I think I’ll be able to make progress against Ninety Six and Augusta in the near term.

Things are in good shape, although not as good as my previous (1775) campaign games at this point. I also think there are more British reinforcements coming, and the big British army in Canada still hasn’t really been committed. I just have to hope for good levies, and to keep the AI on the run.

The British are still out of my way in Charleston.
Attachments
Jan1777 DS (2).jpg
Jan1777 DS (2).jpg (174.6 KiB) Viewed 346 times
Roads

Post by Roads »

As the New Year of 1777 begins the prospects of the rebellion are looking bleaker than ever before. The British army controls three of the four biggest cities in the 13 states, and is about to capture the fourth (New York). The enemy has a stranglehold on two states (Massachusetts and Rhode Island) and has a military presence in all of the states except Delaware. The main army of the revolt is in Woodbury Connecticut but has just lost almost half it’s strength as the Summer Soldiers and Sunshine Patriots have gone home at the end of their enlistments. Elsewhere in the North rebel armies have been pushed back to coastal New Hampshire, Ontario’s shore in New York, and interior Pennsylvania. New York City is in serious jeopardy of falling into enemy hands. In the South, Virginia from the James to the Potomac is occupied by enemy forces, as is the Carolina coast from Charleston to Wilmington, and upcountry South Carolina and Georgia.

The New Year promises to be a critical one for the newly independent states. With further British reinforcements expected the rebels must maintain armies in the field, and prevent the British from exerting control over an entire region. If they can do that for the year, some degree of French involvement can be expected.

Plans: The January levies are imminent and I really need to make the most of them. My two leaders with the Patriot skill are Greene, in New Hampshire and Sumter in Georgia. That’s a good distribution for getting good militia levies so I’m not planning to change it. I will try to grab any strategic town that I can grab this turn so as to get more levies. Then I’ll probably have the Northern forces shut down for the winter. For most of the rest of the year I'll try to play hit-and-run avoiding the large enemy armies, but hitting him wherever I can. We'll see how well that works.

Washington is trying to avoid all those big British armies.
Attachments
Jan1777NE2.jpg
Jan1777NE2.jpg (192.56 KiB) Viewed 345 times
Roads

Post by Roads »

January 1777

Orders:
Canada: 1st Maine militia to continue to hold out in Montreal

New England:
-Greene with one regular and two militia to return to Portsmouth New Hampshire. Hopefully I’ll be able to reinforce him next turn.
-Warner’s mountain boys to cross the mountains from Derry and try to seize Norwich, New Hampshire.
-Hartford garrison of two militia to hold out and prepare to sortie if they are relieved
-Washington with six regulars, a dragoon and an artillery to advance on Hartford to relieve that city and then to continue to Springfield and assault the garrison of that city. If Washington runs into Mirbach coming from Peekskill with his six regulars and an artillery, or into Phillips coming from Albany with four regulars and an artillery I could be in trouble. On the other hand, if all goes well I’ll hurt a lot of British units and secure two New England cities for the January levies. And hopefully the mountain boys will get me a third city.

Middle States:
-Arnold to retreat from Fort Stanwix to Fort Oswego. With two regulars an assault on a fort with a full strength regular is just too risky. I would try it with three regulars, because Stanwix would help my levies a lot. Phillips in Albany is too close for me to maintain a winter siege of Stanwix.
-St Clair to leave Arnold (who has enough command for his small army) and head across the mountains to Wyoming, Pennsylvania.
-5th New York militia to hold out in New York City, and hope that the British don’t attack this month.
-Allen with one regular and one militia to head from Wilkes-Barre to Reading and besiege that town (if Clinton and the British dragoons are still there).
-Stark to leave Allen and rejoin his mountain boys in Fort Oswego
-Lincoln with two militia to leave Wyoming and join Allen in Reading. Lincoln to lead an assault if the town is still held by the enemy. This will allow me to threaten Philadelphia. The fixed garrison will protect Wyoming from the dragoons, and no other British units can get there.
-Champlain bateaux to continue to suffer attrition in the frozen lake until they die.

South Central:
Here I need to secure more strategic cities before the levy
-Lee with a regular and a militia to advance in assault posture through Williamsburg and Richmond to Charlottesville.
-Paterson with one militia to advance to Richmond and occupy it.
-Regular in Norfolk to remain in garrison to ensure that I own that Tory town.
-Sullivan to Price Edward, Virginia through the mountains
This should give me four of five South Central strategic cities for the levy.

Deep South:
-Gates to head north to Williamston, North Carolina so I’ll have choices on where to send him next month.
-1st North Carolina militia to occupy and garrison New Bern.
-Sumter’s partisans to seize Ramseur’s Mill and then proceed through the back country to Wateree from where they can investigate Thickety Fort and Fort Ninety Six.
-Herkimer to proceed to take command of the 1st South Carolina militia garrisoning Camden
-Clark and his rangers to remain in garrison in Charlotte North Carolina along with the 3rd North Carolina militia.
-Morgan to take two regulars and one militia and to assault the British regular battalion garrisoning Hillsboro.
-Moultrie with one regular and three militia to advance on Augusta and assault it. Intelligence shows one militia and Dunmore holding that strategic city, and I’d like to hold it for the levies. Savannah will be protected by the guns and fixed garrison, hopefully the enemy provincials across the Savannah river are the only ones nearby.
Roads

Post by Roads »

February 1777
Situation:
Canada: The large army in St John’s has gone. I have no idea where.

New England:
Warner’s battalion added a second company of mountaineers, and managed to take Norwich.
The British force in Hartford withdrew before the battle with Washington. But Washington did run into Leslie in Springfield, where Washington inflicted three hearts and took two, killing one German company.

Just north of Washington, in Brattleboro is a single British regular. To his west are what appear to be four regulars under Von Knyphausen. To his east in the mountains is another regular all by itself. To the south Mirbach is in New Haven with ten units of unknown identity.

The Boston garrison looks to be three regulars, and Newport is now empty.

Levies look to have been worth the risk, I get two regulars and a militia in Springfield, one regular in Hartford, and two regulars in Norwich New Hampshire. In addition the continental cavalry shows up with Washington. I don’t see any loyalist levies.

Middle States:
Arnold had no problem withdrawing to Oswego. It’s possible that the Canadian army is headed his way.

Stanwix and Dayton are garrisoned by single enemy regulars. Three enemy regulars and two militia are in Albany, and on the (frozen) river by Albany is Percy with a regular and an artillery. Across the river from Albany is Baum with two regulars and an artillery

Around New York things are quiet. The only enemy force is a regular with Phillips across the river in Newark.

Allen fails to join Lincoln in Reading and for some reason I seem to have failed to order Stark to Oswego.
British forces in Pennsylvania are still very thin on the ground. Clinton and the dragoons, along with three militia battalions and a light infantry unit are in Philadelphia, and the 4th King’s Own advanced from Alexandria through Fort Frederick Maryland to Lancaster, Pennsylvania. A regular and an artillery are in Carryell ferry just north of Philadelphia.

Levies are pretty good - I get two regulars and a militia in New York, a regular and a militia in Wilmington, Delaware, and a militia and a light infantry in Wyoming.
The British get a militia and a rangers battalion in Albany, and what looks to be three militia in Philadelphia.

South Central:
Fort Chiswell surrenders. The Ethiopians take Annapolis, Maryland, but I secure Richmond and Petersburg.
Levies are good here too – two militia in Baltimore, a regular and a militia in Richmond, and two regulars in Norfolk.

Deep South

Gates reached Williamston, but for some reason the militia in New Bern did not take and enter the town. Cornwallis with one regular is just to Gates' west in Edgecombe. Wilmington is empty.

Moultrie found Augusta empty and took it. Brown is at Cherokee Ford between Augusta and Fort Ninety Six, which is occupied by some enemy rangers.

Innes’ South Carolina Royalists took Fort Watson, and Tarleton with a depeleted battalion of dragoons is in Kingstown just north of Camden. Charleston is garrisoned by two regulars, two miltia, an artillery and three unidentified units.

Morgan made it to Hillsboro and assaulted it, but the battle did not go well. He inflicted three hearts and wiped out the enemy battalion, but lost three companies of regulars and one of light infantry. One battalion of regulars is lost.

Levies aren’t very good - two militia in Camden and two militia in Hillsboro.
British levies appear to be two militia in Charleston, and a unit of rangers in Ninety Six.

With the new levies Washington's position in Springfield is actaually pretty good, but he has no supplies left.
Attachments
Feb77NE3.jpg
Feb77NE3.jpg (197.01 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Roads

Post by Roads »

February 1777

Orders:
Canada: Montreal to continue holding out. Maybe in the spring I’ll try to send boats to evacuate them.

New England:
-Norwich levies put in garrison. Warner’s Mountineers remain outside Norwich and set an ambush. I’m tempted to send them to the empty fort in Ticonderoga, but given the absence of the British army in St John’s I’d rather be careful.
-Schuyler detached from Greene and sent to Norwich to lead the levies there. I have a little déjà vu here.
-Greene leaves the 1st Pennsylvania continentals behind in Portsmouth and takes his two militia battalions to Cambridge. There isn’t a strong force that is likely to contest this move and it will make co-ordination with Washington in March that much easier.
-Washington absorbs the continental levies in Springfield and leaves the 1st Massachusetts militia as a garrison in that town. One regular and one militia from Hartford to join him so that he will have eight regulars, one light infantry, one militia, two dragoons and one artillery. Washington to replenish supplies and have his troops recuperate in Springfield. Much as I would like to use Washington to beat up some of the local British forces his two supply trains are both empty and it’s the middle of winter. From Springfield he will be able to advance to Boston or Albany in March, and might be able to intervene in New York.
-Ward detached from Washington (who will have only one militia after all) and sent to lead the four battalions garrisoning New York. His militiaman trait will help there, and even a poor commander like Ward is far better than no commander at all. Putnam is also available to be detached, but I don’t have a need for him yet.

Middle States:
-Arnold detached from his army and sent to join Lincoln in Pennsylvania where his militiaman trait will be more useful. His army to replenish supplies in Oswego in case I want to make an attempt on Stanwix or Albany later on.
-Stark detached from Lincoln in Reading and sent to Oswego to take over Arnold’s command.
-New York garrison of two regulars and two militia combined. To be led by Ward when he arrives.
-Allen with a regular and a militia, Lincoln, with two militia, and St. Clair with a light infantry and a militia to converge on Lancaster in offensive posture. I’m hoping to catch and kill the regular in that town.
-Wilmington (Delaware) levies of one regular and one militia to stay in place for now.

South Central:
-Baltimore levies (two militia) to move to Winchester, Fort Frederick, and then York in offensive posture to (hopefully) return those towns to my allegiance, and maybe catch the loyalist Ethiopians.
-Lee with one regular and one miltia to advance to Alexandria in an offensive posture to catch the Ethiopians if they head south, and to definitely recover Alexandria.
-Paterson to leave one militia in place in Richmond and to take one regular and one militia to join Lee.
-Norfolk levies (two regulars) to march on Warrenton, North Carolina. Sullivan to join them. I expect this army to spend it’s time following the British regulars in Fort Chiswell, or Cornwallis’ regular heading north from Wilmington.
-One regular to remain in Norfolk as garrison and to keep working on it’s loyalty.

Deep South:
-Gates to join the garrison of Richmond.
-JP Jones to take the fleet to New York so I can try an evacuation if necessary.
-1st North Carolina to march from New Bern to out to Bath and back again. Hopefully this will put it inside New Bern. Although Wilmington appears to be empty, my sources tell me the enemy still owns it. He must have an unknown regular or cavalry in that town.
-Morgan to leave the two units he brought with him in Hillsboro to recover. He is to take the two militia levied in Hillsboro and march to Salisbury (due to mud Charlotte cannot be reached).
-Herkimer to leave one militia in Camden and bring the other two to join Morgan is Salisbury. Offensive posture in case he manages to catch Tarleton.
-Sumter detached from Moultrie and given the regular to garrison Augusta and work on it’s loyalty.
-1st Georgia militia detached from Moultrie and sent back to Savannah
-Moultrie with two militia to intercept and fight Brown.
-Sumter’s partisans to join Sumter in Augusta, I want to send them into the swamps of the low country.
-Clark and his rangers to head east along the forest line. Next month they’ll be able to work out what is going on in Wilmington.

Not many enemy forces in Pennsylvania. Lincoln's gathering a big force in Lancaster to squash them.
Attachments
Feb77SC3.jpg
Feb77SC3.jpg (197.19 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Roads

Post by Roads »

March 1777
Situation:

Canada: Carleton with a single regular is besieging Montreal. Howe’s army of 13 units has reappeared in St John.

New England
-Warner’s mountaineers took 3 hits retreating from battle in Norwich. They are currently in the Green Mountains where it is winter. Baum with a regular and a supply are besieging Schuyler in Norwich, New Hampshire.
-Greene reached Cambridge, but is besieged there by Hamilton and a Light Infantry unit. Leslie and five regulars are within supporting distance of Hamilton in Westminster. Boston is held by a single regular.
-Mirbach’s army has dispersed. A single regular is in New London, while Mirbach with four regulars and an artillery are in Norwich, Connecticut. Newport is still empty.
-I obviously entered some orders incorrectly because the 4th Connecticut militia, which was supposed to garrison Hartford retreated before a battle to Springfield, where it joins the Continental Army.
-Pulaski arrives with Washington in Springfield. He’s a cavalry leader who should be quite useful given that Washington has two squadrons of dragoons.

Middle States:
The British seem to be gathering troops around Albany. North of the city, in Saratoga I see one regular, east in Hoseck are Percy, two regulars and a supply, on the Hudson to the south of the city are another two regulars and a supply, and another regular is a little further south on the river. A regular, a militia and an irregular are on the ice of the lower Hudson, and Fort Stanwix is empty.
-Clinton and the enemy dragoons are in Trenton, while Grant has a force of three regulars a light infantry and an artillery in Philadelphia. Two other formations with 2 units each are also in Philadelphia. A provincial unit is in Reading.
-The Maryland militia took all the expected towns, and ended the month besieging Tryon and a light infantry unit in York. Unfortunately it’s winter so they are going to be hurt a little. Lincoln has gathered four battalions across the river in Lancaster.

South Central:
-Cornwallis with the 57th foot took Petersburg.
-JP Jones lost the entire continental navy trying to reach New York.
-Sullivan fought one regular battalion outside Petersburg. Both sides took two hearts, and Sullivan ended up in Halifax, Virginia while the enemy regular ended up in Appotomax.
-Paterson defeated the Ethiopians in Charlottesville, inflicting one heart and taking none. He failed to join Lee, who reached Alexandria and regained control of that strategic town.

Deep South:

-In Charlotte, North Carolina, Herkimer ran into Tarleton who has two companies of rangers, one of light infantry and three of dragoons. We took one heart and inflicted none, and Tarleton withdrew. Herkimer managed to meet up with Morgan in Salisbury. I don’t know where Tarleton disappeared to.
-Moultrie chased Brown through Fort Ninety Six, so I now control that strategic town too.

Redcoats all over the place, but none in overwhelming strength.
Attachments
Mar1777NE3.jpg
Mar1777NE3.jpg (194.16 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Roads

Post by Roads »

March 1777

Orders:

Canada: 1st Maine to continue to hold out in Montreal

New England:
Both Schuyler and Greene (in Norwich, NH and Cambridge MA) are under siege and in some jeopardy. I don’t want to lose their four battalions. So they are ordered to hold out and sortie when relief is sent their way.
-Warner’s mountaineers to march around Norwich to Concord where they should be able to recuperate.
-Pulaski is sent from Springfield with two continentals to the relief of Norwich. He is put in offensive posture, I’m counting on his getting past Brattleboro where either of Percy or Leslie could intercept him.
-1st Massachusetts militia left to garrison Springfield.
-Washington with the Continental army (now seven regulars, two militia, two dragoons and one artillery) is sent in defensive posture through Westminster and past Leslie’s army to Cambridge and then on to Boston. I’m not looking for a fight with Leslie, but will welcome one if it comes. Assuming of course he isn’t reinforced by Mirbach. Mirbach will probably be able to take New York if he heads that way, but then so could Percy if he gathers most of the troops around Albany. In either case such a move would leave me free to consolidate my hold on New England which would be great.

Middle States:
-Stark to bring his army (two regulars and his mountineers) to occupy Fort Stanwix in an evasive posture. I’m hoping this will draw a reaction from the British in Albany.
-Ward is not activated or I might have him take an offensive posture outside the walls of New York in order to intercept enemy battalions as they pass. Instead he stays inside the walls to defend the city.
-Allen detaches himself from Lincoln and goes to Wilmington, Delaware to take command of the regular and militia that are in that town. This army to move to Baltimore, away from Grant.
-Lincoln and Arnold to take their four battalions across the Susquehana and ordered to assault Tryon in York.
-The two Maryland militia outside York to prosecute the siege and join Lincoln in the assault.
-St Clair and his regular and militia to join Lincoln in York.
I’m planning to gather a force big enough to handle Grant, and to wipe out a British battalion as well. From York, Wyoming can probably be reached if Grant heads that way. Allen’s army should evade Grant and can either reinforce Lincoln (or Arnold if I put him in command) or help out in the South Central if things go terribly wrong there.

South Central:
-Lee to return to Richmond from Alexandria with an offensive posture. Ideally he’ll beat the Ethiopians, in the worst case he’ll be hurt by Cornwallis coming out of Petersburg.
-Gates’ single militia to stay in garrison in Richmond, but to prepare to sortie when Lee arrives.
-Patterson and Sullivan ordered to unite their four battalions in Mattapony and march on Petersburg.
-JP Jones to flee from Yorktown to Alexandria.
-Norfolk garrison to stay in place.
What happens depends on what the British do. If Cornwallis gathers both regulars and the militia I’ll be able to assemble an army that can beat him. If he disperses I will have two armies that can hunt down his isolated battalions. I’ll have Allen’s army to the north and Howe’s to the south if he tries to leave the South Central region.

Deep South:
-Howe to bring his regular and militia from Hillsboro to Warrenton North Carolina in case Cornwallis heads south.
-Clark and his rangers to head through Cross Creek and into the swamps to investigate Wilmington, North Carolina.
-32nd continental to leave Augusta and go to garrison Fort Ninety Six instead (it’s fortified, and I need to work on the loyalty of both strategic towns).
-Morgan to attempt to intercept Brown as he leaves Thickety Fort.
-Moultrie ordered to Camden with it’s central position.
-Sumter and his partisans to go through the swamps in evasive posture to investigate Charleston.
-1st North Carolina to remain in garrison in New Bern for now.

Enemy forces in the South Central region remain weak.
Attachments
Mar1777SC3.jpg
Mar1777SC3.jpg (198.38 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Roads

Post by Roads »

April 1777
Situation:
Canada: Simon Fraser with the 52nd foot continues the siege of Montreal. It’s winter on the island, so he’s going to take a bit of damage. Howe and his 13 units are still in St John.

New England:

Hamilton attempted to assault Greene and his battalion was wiped out at the cost of one heart for Greene.
Washington intercepted Mirbach in Westminster as the German headed north. Despite an overwhelming superiority (44 companies against 16) and fighting on the defensive Washington took eight hearts and inflicted only five. Mirbach retreated to Worcester. I noticed that the battle screen shows Washington’s defensive value as 3, whereas the army screen shows it as 4 because of his experience. Washington made it to Cambridge and joined Greene.
Baum abandoned the siege of Norwich and went south to Ashuelot, across the Connecticut from Brattleboro. Three unled regulars are just south of him in Westminster.
Boston and Newport are both ungarrisoned.
Leslie with five regulars has been seen heading north in Woodbury, Connecticut.
Pulaski joins Schuyler in Norwich and they are reinforced by a supply train.
The privateer Insurgent appears in Falmouth. I need to bring Jones up to lead her.

Middle States:

Stark found Von Riesedel and his regiment garrisoning Fort Stanwix. Percy’s army of seven unidentified units (other than Percy) is still in Albany along with a further two regulars and one provincial, so it’s too dangerous for Stark to besiege Stanwix.
Other enemy forces straggle down the Hudson valley. One regular is on the middle Hudson, one provincial is on the lower Hudson, and two regulars and a supply are in Peekskill. The 52nd foot and the New York Rangers are besieging New York, and it’s winter so they will suffer a bit too.
At Head of Elk, Allen’s army met uncommanded two regulars and was beaten taking two hearts and inflicting only one. Allen retreated back to Wilmington. One of the enemy battalions, the 42nd Black Watch advanced south to take Baltimore. The other, a grenadier unit has disappeared, unless it went back to Philadelphia.
Clinton and the enemy dragoons are in Reading. Von Trumbach with only his own regulars is in Head of Elk. But the big news is that Rawdon with three regulars, a provincial and an artillery appeared to reinforce Philadelphia, which already held Phillips’ six units. Delancey and another militia also appeared in Philadelphia. Lincoln has his work cut out!
Lincoln united eight battalions in York, Pennsylvania, but the enemy light infantry escaped.
J Clinton reinforced Wyoming with a supply train.

South Central:
Sullivan reached Petersburg before being joined by Paterson, which was not the plan. He ran into one regular and the Ethiopians there and beat them handily, wiping out the Ethiopians for no loss of his own. With Paterson he is now besieging the 37th foot in Petersburg.
Lee and Gates united in Richmond.
Cornwallis took his regular to besiege Norfolk, taking Portsmouth Virginia on the way.
R Howe bombarded Norfolk inflicting 15 hits. I have no units with which to return fire.

Deep South:
Clark finds that Wilmington is empty.
Morgan reached Ramseur’s Mill and received intelligence that Tarleton is in Thickety Fort.
Two British regulars, presumably from Charleston took Augusta.
Brown with one regular returned to Fort Ninety Six and drove off the 32nd continental inflicting two hearts of damage. He’s currently garrisoning the fort.
Sumter finds that only two units, including the coastal artillery, are present in Charleston. So it looks like the British have tricked me – either their forces in the Deep South were always very weak and only there to make me tie up my own forces, or there is a biggish force running around the Deep South that I don’t know of.

Washington was supposed to crush these guys!
Attachments
Apr1777NE2.jpg
Apr1777NE2.jpg (195.55 KiB) Viewed 352 times
Roads

Post by Roads »

April 1777

Orders:

Canada: Same old, same old – 1st Maine to hold out in Montreal.

New England:
-Warner’s rangers to recuperate in Concord
-Schuyler with Pulaski and four regulars to cross the Connecticut to Ashuelot in an offensive posture hoping to catch Baum and his army. From there the army to march on Manadnock, out of the way of Mirbach and his army.
-Continental Cavalry detached from Washington and sent to take New Bedford then to enter the city of Boston.
-3rd Connecticut militia detached from Greene and sent to occupy and garrison Newport.
-Greene to take the slightly damaged 3rd continental and 3rd Massachsetts militia to Portsmouth, New Hampshire
-1st Pennsylvania regulars to join Washington
-Washington to take all other units in Cambridge to Boston in an offensive posture.
-Insurgent privateer ordered from Falmouth to Portsmouth

Middle States:
-Stark to withdraw from Stanwix to Fort Oswego.
-Ward in New York is not activated and so cannot drive off the single regular besieging his army.
-Arnold with St. Clair, the 1st Light infantry and three battalions of Pennsylvania militia ordered to Sunbury and then on to Wilkes Barre. This should keep him beyond the reach Rawdon’s army in Philadelphia and position him to go around that army to the north.
-J Clinton with the supply train to join Arnold in Sunbury
-Lincoln with the 2nd continentals and three militia companies ordered through Baltimore, where I hope to catch the Black Watch, and then on to Annapolis. From there he can react based on where Rawdon goes.
-Allen to withdraw to Cambridge, Maryland. He can hide out there until British forces in Pennsylvania are weaker.

South Central:
-JP Jones ordered to North East Pennsylvania, on the way to taking command of the Insurgent privateer
-Sullivan to detach the somewhat depleted 22nd continental to maintain the siege of Petersburg. To take the other two continentals and one militia he is ordered to march on Norfolk and break the Cornwallis’ siege there.
-21st continental in Norfolk to prepare a sortie when Sullivan arrives.
-Lee to bring his army (one regular, two militia) to Petersburg to join the regulars besieging that town and to assault the defenders.
-Howe to bring one regular and one militia to join Lee. Hopefully I’ll be able to send many of these forces north to help out in Pennsylvania. But first I want to hunt down Cornwallis’ regular.

Deep South
It turns out I forgot to detach the 3rd North Carolina militia from Rogers before sending him out from Charlotte
-3rd North Carolina ordered from Wilmington to capture Cross Creek and then to continue on to Cheraw.
-Rogers to head to Palatines in the wooded fringe of North Carolina. I’d take Cheraw, but Rogers did not activate.
-1st North Carolina ordered from New Bern to occupy Wilmington, which Rogers tells me is empty.
-Morgan to proceed to Thickety Fort to try to catch Tarleton in a siege.
-Moultrie to leave behind the 2nd North Carolina militia to replace the 2nd South Carolina as the garrison of Camden and to take the South Carolina and Georgia militia units to Ninety Six. Hopefully I’ll catch Brown in a siege.
-32nd Continetals, who were repulsed from Ninety Six and are badly beat up ordered to Ramseur’s Mill with an evasive posture.
-Sumter to zip through the swamps and to take Fort Watson.

ALl of a sudden Pennsylvania is crowded with enemy troops.
Attachments
Apr1777MS3.jpg
Apr1777MS3.jpg (197.36 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 »

I am enjoying your after action report!  I like the format also. 

I am curious if you are using the latest patch with the tight supply rules?
Roads

Post by Roads »

Thanks, I'm glad you like it. Good to know, because it is a detailed blow by blow account, and sometimes I wonder if people like to see everything.

But I wanted to address the questions raised in the colonial thread. My approach is to keep armies in being that are a pain for the Brits to hunt down, but are close enough that they can't be ignored. I've always felt that the critical skill for the rebels in BoA is running away.

I started the game long before 1.12 came out. I'm sticking with 1.11 for this game because I can see all sorts of problems for both sides when massive supply requirements suddenly appear. So the dispersion of the British armies that I'm seeing is not due to supply constraints, the AI seems to do that under 1.11 too.
Roads

Post by Roads »

May 1777:
Situation:
Canada: Carleton with one regular continues the siege of Montreal. It’s not the siege of Troy yet, but it’s heading that way. Burgoyne with 13 units is still in St John.

New England
The continental cavalry, with three companies, and the 4th Connecticut militia encountered Hamilton with four German companies in Boston. They killed one company of regulars and lost none. The cavalry went on to take New Bedford and return, and Washington also arrived in Boston.
The 3rd Connecticut reached Newport, but had an evasive posture, so didn’t take it.
Schuyler missed Baum, and is in Ashuelot. Percy, one regular, one artillery and five unidentified units are across the river in Brattleboro.
Mirbach with three regulars is besieging Springfield, and the 52nd foot is garrisoning Hartford. Cleaveland with three regulars is in Norwich, Connecticut, and one severely weakened enemy regular is in Worcester.

Middle States
Stark is back in Fort Oswego, and a single leaderless German regiment is in Oneida, across the river. Two British units garrison Fort Stanwix, and one, Von Donop, is in Albany. Ticonderoga appears to be empty.

A regular and an artillery are in Peekskill, and Jones, with two regulars, one artillery, the North Carolina volunteers and the 1st South Carolina have shown up in Ridgefield. This explains what has happened in the Deep South - while I was trying to ensure I was well placed for their coming offensive the British had transported much of their strength to New York. I’m quite impressed, the AI is actually concentrating it’s forces in the critical theatre. On the other had I should now be able to capture all the strategic towns in the Deep South and use it as a massive recruiting ground.

Phillips with a regular, a provincial and an artillery is in Princeton, along with Leslie with two other units. Rawdon holds Philadelphia with only two militia and an artillery. There are two other armies in Philadelphia, but one is just General Cornwallis, and the other is presumably the naval guns.

Von Trumbach with four regulars took Wilmington, Delaware. Grant with a single battalion of light infantry is in Baltimore. Lincoln avoided them and is in Annapolis. Clinton and the dragoons took Lancaster.

South Central
The siege of Petersburg made no progress and when Lee arrived he did not assault.
Cornwallis inflicted 5 hits on the Norfolk garrison, and R Howe bombarded them for another 21 hits. Cornwallis then assaulted the fort, and wiped out my continental garrison, inflicting two hearts and taking none. However, having retaken Portsmouth, Sullivan arrived with two regulars and one militia, and immediately assaulted the town. He inflicted three hearts and took six, but the British regular battalion was wiped out. Sullivan will have to recuperate in Norfolk for a bit, but this is great news.
The 60th Royal Americans re-appeared and took Halifax, Virginia.

Deep South
My 1st North Carolina militia took Wilmington.
Tarleton tried to escape from Thickety Fort, but his single dragoon was killed by Morgan.
Sumter’s partisans ran into a battalion of provincials just north of Charleston. They inflicted one heart and took two, and the provincials retreated back into Charleston. Sumter took Fort Watson. This tells me that the garrison of Charleston is one provincial battalion and the naval guns. This is a golden opportunity.

Moultrie did not reach Ninety Six, but Brown is still there with his single regular. Tarleton with no troops escaped the battle to join Brown. Six enemy units are in garrison in Augusta, but either that force is very weak, or the British landed a decent sized army after having just ferried an equivalent force from Charleston to New York. I suspect that the force is weak.

Two British regulars are besieging Savannah. I see no supply, so I suspect that with the fixed garrison, the Georgia militia and the naval guns I’ll be alright.

The mystery force in Augusta is of some concern, but Charleston is very weakly held.
Attachments
May77DS4.jpg
May77DS4.jpg (196.63 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Roads

Post by Roads »

May 1777

Orders:

Canada: Same old same old – 1st Maine to hold out in Montreal.

New England:
-Schuyler failed to activate. Together with his ‘slow mover’ ability that means he can’t take his army anywhere. He is ordered to take the 1st Continental back to Norwich and go into garrison there.
-Pulaski to take the remaining three regulars in Ashuelot over the mountains in Manadnock to Derry and then south to Boston. Hopefully this will allow him to avoid the various enemy armies in the area.
-Warner’s mountaineers to recover in Concord. I still hope to slip them into Ticonderoga for the July levies.
-Greene with the 3rd continental and the 3rd Massachusetts ordered to Boston
-Putnam left with the beat up continental cavalry in Boston where they will recuperate
-I want to use Washington to try to beat on some of the scattered British forces this month before they can unite. I’d also like to put him in a position from which he can intervene in New York or Albany before the July levies. I had planned to order him to relieve the siege of Springfield, but mud in that area makes it impossible for him to reach that town. Instead I order him with an assault posture through Worcester (with one weak regular), Norwich (with Cleaveland’s depleted force) and on to Hartford (garrisoned by a single regular). If the British unite Cleaveland, Mirbach, Percy and Jones at Hartford I would be attacking them across a river and it could be ugly. But I’m willing to run that small risk.
-3rd Connecticut in Newport ordered to take Providence and return to take Newport (it was in an evasive posture last month and did not take Newport).
-1st Massachusetts to hold out in Springfield and to sortie if relief arrives.

Middle States:
-Stark to stay outside Fort Oswego in an offensive posture. If the single regular in Oneida crosses the Oswego river I feel that with a regular, a light infantry and a battalion of rangers in the forest, and with the enemy crossing a river, Stark ought to be able to deliver them a drubbing.
-Ward to continue to hold out in New York City
-JP Jones ordered through the wilderness to northern New Hampshire. Still en route to take command of the Insurgent
-Arnold ordered to Sunbury in a defensive posture in the hopes that he might catch a weaker British force there. I expect to use him to cover Wyoming until the levies come in.
-J Clinton detached from Arnold’s army and sent to Spotsylvania - I need more leaders further south.
-Allen to remain in Cambridge until the British have moved on from Wilmington.

South Central:
-Lincoln ordered to advance on Baltimore in an assault posture and then to withdraw to Winchester and Alexandria to avoid the larger British forces further north.
-Lee with two regulars and two militia ordered to assault the regular in Petersburg and then to pursue and intercept he 60th Royal Americans who are currently in Halifax, Virginia.
-Gates with one regular and one militia ordered to aid Lee in the assault of Petersburg than then to head north to Charlottesville.
-Howe detached from Lee’s force and sent to lead the 32nd continental in Ramsuer’s Mill South Carolina.
-Sullivan’s army to recover in Richmond.
-Paterson detached from Sullivan and sent to join Lee’s army.

Deep South:
My big question here is what to do about the very weak garrison in Charleston and the possibly dangerous army in Augusta. I decide to have Morgan cover the upcountry, to send Moultrie to besiege Charleston, and to ignore the siege of Savannah for now.
-Morgan with four militia ordered from Thickety to Colleton, which is halfway between Camden and Augusta, and covers the road to Charleston
-Moultrie with two militia ordered from Saluda to Charleston to begin a siege.
-2nd North Carolina militia ordered from Camden to Georgetown within supporting distance of Charleston
-Sumter to join 2nd North Carolina in Georgetown. His partisans to recuperate in Watson’s Fort.
-3rd North Carolina militia ordered from Cheraw to Camden where they are to go into garrison
-32nd continental to recuperate in Ramseur’s Mill
-Savannah garrison to hold out.
-1st North Carolina to garrison Wilmington
-GR Clark ordered to Palatines (he failed to activate again). Eventually I’ll use his rangers to investigate Augusta and to support any relief of Savannah.

Washington strikes at dispersed enemy forces in New England. Hopefully he'll wipe out a few units.
Attachments
May77NE2.jpg
May77NE2.jpg (167.01 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Roads

Post by Roads »

June 1777:

Situation

Canada:
Fraser continues to listlessly prosecute the siege of Montreal. Howe and 13 unknown units continue to do nothing in St John.

New England:
Cleaveland with a regular and an artillery is in Putnam, New Hampshire, presumably on his way to take Norwich, New Hampshire, which Schuyler is garrisoning.
My militia garrisoning Springfield surrendered and Percy has assembled an army of seven regulars and an artillery in Springfield. Also there are two further regulars and a militia in the area. This is a force I don’t want to fight.
In Providence the 3rd Connecticut militia ran into what has to be the regular that was in Worcester and was defeated by it’s two companies. No losses on either side and the militia retreated to Newport. A good outcome.

An enemy force managed to retreat before combat with Washington in Norwich, Connecticut, and another enemy army did the same in Hartford. Quite disappointing. Washington ends the month inside the walls of Hartford. Outside is Von Knyphausen with four regulars and a militia.

Middle States
The German regulars withdrew from Oneida to Fort Stanwix.
There is an artillery in Peekskill, and Jones with three regulars, a militia, one battalion of rangers, two artillery and a militia is in Stony Point. It looks like he’s also going to ignore New York and head to Pennsylvania.

Arnold with 12 companies of militia and four of light infantry ran into Clinton with eight companies of light infantry and two of dragoons in Sunbury. He won a hard fought victory losing eight companies of militia, but killing five of light infantry. Sadly neither British battalion of light infantry was wiped out. Clinton withdrew to Lancaster and has been joined by a militia unit.
Phillips with a provincial and an artillery is in Chester Pennsylvania, and Philadelphia is held by Leslie with two militia, a regular and an artillery.

South Central:

Lincoln with four regular companies and eight militia companies met Grant with two regular companies and a light infantry company. Each side took one heart in an indecisive American victory, and Grant retreated to Bush on the Maryland-Pennsylvania border.
Stirling with two British regulars took Baltimore and then Annapolis, and Von Trumbach with two regulars is right behind him in Baltimore.
I’ve bloodied the noses of both of the British columns heading out of Philadelphia, but they still have more strength than I do.
Lincoln can continue to fall back on my strength in the South Central, but Arnold will try to hold Wyoming, and then either head to Oswego to join Stark, or across the mountains to Pittsburgh. Either way he will continue to threaten the British along the frontier.
Further south, Lee took Petersburg wiping out the battalion of regulars garrisoning it and taking two hearts. He then caught up with the British regulars in Halifax and wiped them out as well.

Deep South:
Moultrie ran into Haldimand in Congaree, between Ninety Six and Augusta. Moultrie’s two militia battalions were beaten by Haldimand’s two regulars taking three hearts and delivering two. Moultrie retreated to Winesboro, and Haldimand contined on to Charlotte which he occupies with the 15th foot and the 2/2 Royal Marines.
Sumter with the 2nd North Carolina is besieging Watson with one unit in Georgetown.
Augusta is empty and Savannah was breached and the fixed garrison took 15 hits. I have a tough choice here – Morgan with four militia in Colleton can either try to take Charleston, a great prize that is very weakly held right now, or he can go to Savannah to relieve the garrison and hopefully catch the two unled regulars in the open.

Enemy forces push south and west from Philadelphia. They're too strong for me to seriously oppose them.
Attachments
Jun 1777 MS (3).jpg
Jun 1777 MS (3).jpg (137.14 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Roads

Post by Roads »

June 1777

Orders:

Canada:
1st Maine to hold out in Montreal.

New England:
-Warner’s mountaineers ordered from Concord to Grand Ile New Hampshire going around Norwich. They’ll be across Lake Champlain from Ticonderoga, and if it’s still empty they will slip in.
-JP Jones ordered to Portsmouth to take command of the Insurgent
-Greene with Putnam to stay in garrison in Boston with four regulars and the 3rd Massachusetts militia. One supply train detached and sent to join the garrison of Portsmouth, New Hampshire
-Pulaski to take to continental cavalry and garrison Worcester. Hopefully he’ll meet up with Washington there.
-Washington to advance through New Haven and New London to Worcester and to start a march on Westminster. He should be able to hurt Von Knyphausen and avoid Leslie. I’m hoping to be able to make a stab at Albany before the July levies.
-Schuyler to defend Norwich, militia to defend Newport.

Middle States:
-Stark to march on Fort Stanwix in a defensive posture. I’m hoping to trap Von Riesedel in the fort.
-Ward to continue to hold New York. Valentine Jones is still too close for him to try anything.
-Arnold withdraws to Wyoming. I’m not too concerned about Clinton or Grant who are the closest enemy armies. Philips I should be able to handle, but Leslie could come to Wyoming, and Von Trumbach would also pose a problem
-Allen remains in garrison in Cambridge, Maryland. Still too many British troops around Wilmington.

South Central:
-Lincoln to detach the 2nd Maryland to garrison Alexandria and to stand in Alexandria in a defensive stance
-Gates to march from Charlottesville to join Lincoln.
-Paterson to detach from Lee with one regular and one militia and to join Lincoln.
I’m gathering seven battalions (plus one in garrison) in Alexandria. My goal is to hold it until the levies come in or until the British head elsewhere.
-Lee to remain in Halifax while his troops recuperate. One supply train to be sent to join Sullivan in Norfolk.
-J Clinton to head to Petersburg and wait for the levy.
-Sullivan to continue to recuperate in Norfolk.

Deep South:
-R Howe to join the 32nd Continental which is to continue to recuperate in Ramseur’s Mill
-Clark and his rangers to go through the woods and pass adjacent to Charlotte and Hillsboro (where I expect Haldimand to go).
-1st North Carolina to hold Wilmington
-3rd North Carolina to advance from Camden to Augusta and (hopefully) to occupy that town.
-Moultrie to leave his army to recuperate in garrison in Winesboro and to join Morgan
-Herkimer to leave Morgan and join Moultrie’s army in Winesboro.
-Morgan with four militia to advance and besiege Charleston
-Sumter to continue to besiege Georgetown and prevent the garrison from leaving and joining the Charleston garrison.
-Sumter’s partisans to continue to recover in Fort Watson.
-Savannah garrison to hold out as long as possible.

Washington has an unfortunate run in with the army he was supposed to be avoiding. He still wipes out a German battalion, so it's not all bad.
Attachments
Jun 77 bat.jpg
Jun 77 bat.jpg (159.79 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Roads

Post by Roads »

July 1777

Situation

Canada: Carleton has taken over the siege of Montreal, but is doing no better than Fraser. Howe and 12 units remain in St John.

New England:
Hamilton with two regulars is besieging Schuyler with one regular in Norwich.

Outside the walls of Hartford Washington beat Von Knyphausen very badly. I had twenty regular companies, six light companies, eight militia companies, three dragoon companies and four artillery companies. The British had twelve regular companies, one light company, two militia companies and two provincial companies. I took seven hearts and inflicted fifteen. I lost no companies and killed five regular companies, one light company, two provincial companies and two militia companies. I believe I killed one battalion of regulars and one of provincials. A nice drubbing for the Brits.

However, before Washington could escape to New Haven, Percy showed up and fought a follow up battle. Percy had fourteen companies of regulars, two companies of light infantry and four companies of artillery. Washington still had twenty regular companies, six light companies, eight militia companies, three dragoon companies and four artillery battalions. Percy loses the battle, but delivers 15 hearts to Washington and takes only eight. I lose six regular companies, two dragoon companies, two light infantry companies and four militia companies. Percy loses only three companies and two light infantry. I killed one German battalion.
All the British forces in the region other than Hamilton have been gathered in Springfield. Percy has three regulars and an artillery, Baum has three units, and another army has four units, so there are eight or nine battalions in Springfield.

Levies were good, two militia, one continental and one dragoon in Boston, one militia in Concord, a militia and a continental in Hartford, and one militia in Newport. I do control four of five cities and in Greene I have a patriot general present, but I’m pleased by this levy.

Lafayette and de Kalb join Washington in Worcester.

British levies, as far as I can tell are a single militia in Springfield.

Middle States:

Stark’s move on Stanwix found that town empty and so he took it. Albany is also empty although Leslie with one regular is directly south of the town in Kingston, and there are single regulars in Tajacook and Hoseck to the north and east. Albany is also within easy marching range of the large enemy force in Springfield.

Phillips with three regulars, one provincial, one militia and three artillery is besieging Ward in New York. Rawdon with three regulars, a provincial and an artillery is in easy supporting distance across the Hudson in Stony Point, and Cleaveland with an artillery and a regular is garrisoning Peekskill.

Clinton and Grant, with what appears to be two battalions between them are garrisoning Philadelphia, but were joined by three battalions of levies.

Cornwallis with the 49th foot took Wilkes-Barre and advanced to Wyoming. He is now outside the town, while Arnold is within. Butler with the beat up enemy 2nd light infantry took York. So enemy forces in Pennsylvania are now quite weak.

Levies are good given that I control only New York, Stanwix and Wyoming. I got one militia in Fort Stanwix and two regulars and a militia in Wyoming. This gives Arnold some striking power, so is very convenient.

Unfortunately British levies appear to be decent too – two provincials, one militia and one ranger battalion in Philadelphia.

South Central:

Stirling attacked Lincoln in Alexandria. It didn’t go well for me - Lincoln took three hearts and inflicted two. Lincoln retreated across the Potomac to Winchester. Upon arrival at Alexandria, Gates immediately retreated before combat and joined Lincoln.

Von Trumbach advanced beyond Alexandria to Eyles Ford where he met Paterson. Paterson beat him, inflicting two hearts and taking one.
Von Trumbach retreated on Alexandria, and met up with Stirling. Paterson ran into both and was beaten badly losing three militia companies and killing none. He withdrew and joined Gates in Winchester.

Stirling and Von Trumbach are besieging the single militia battalion that is garrisoning Alexandria with four slightly depleted regulars. The only units in supporting distance are a miltia and an artillery under Delancy in Baltimore. Gates has several units that are in good condition, so he should be able to cause the British some trouble.

Levies are not very good given that I control all strategic towns. I get one militia and two continentals in Richmond. In addition Kosciuszko turned up a rather inconvenient time, joining Gates in Winchester and bringing along siege guns. I’d love to get those guns into Charleston, but they are a huge pain for me in Winchester, which is behind the British in Alexandria, and from where I expect to engage in a war of maneuver.

Deep South:
The enemy 2/2 Marines marched from Charlotte to Hillsboro and took that town.

Haldimand himself returned with one battalion to Augusta, where he beat the 3rd North Carolina militia inflicting two hearts. The militia are retreating across the river.

Morgan is besieging Charleston, and Sumter continues to besiege Georgetown.

Brown and a single regular remain in Fort Ninety Six.

The British made a second breach in Savannah, inflicting 25 hits. R. Howe’s fleet bombarded Savannah and inflicted 26 hits taking 27 in return. Parker also bombarded Savannah and took 39 hits, inflicting 10 on the garrison.

Levies are very good given that I only control Camden and Savannah in the entire region. I get two continentals and three militia in Camden.

British levies appear to be a dragoon in Fort Ninety Six, and a militia in Hillsboro.

A severely weakened Continental army. Fortunately most of my cadres remain intact.
Attachments
Jul77ContArm.jpg
Jul77ContArm.jpg (76.78 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Roads

Post by Roads »

July 1777

Prospects

I’m still quite pleased with how things are going. This was the first levy where I don’t feel that the levy is the only thing keeping me alive. I have most of New England and I’m holding out in the Middle States. The South Central is (just) all mine, and my position in the deep south is excellent, despite the fact that I only hold two cities and one of them is under siege. The Continental army had a bit of a scare in Hartford, but I’ve badly hurt the enemy, and Washington will continue to command a very strong force. I’ve wiped out seven enemy battalions since the start of the year, so my running total is eighteen battalions. A big army indeed. I am wearing down the British.

My goals for the remainder of 1777 are to continue to keep the Continental army alive, to continue to beat up on small British armies, and to minimize disband losses. Territorially I feel I have a good chance of expelling the British from the Deep South (or at least forcing them to dispatch large reinforcements there from the North). I want to push the British spearhead back from Virginia so I can keep all of the South Central, and hold on to Wyoming. If I can grab Philadelphia I will, but it’s not in my plans right now. I would like to keep a solid presence in New England and move Washington to the Albany area to improve my position in the Middle States, but holding on in New England would be good enough. But mostly I want to see the French intervene. [:)]

Lots of nice US flags here.
Attachments
Jul77Status3.jpg
Jul77Status3.jpg (197.43 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Roads

Post by Roads »

July 1777

Orders:

This month is mostly about gathering my levies and putting shattered troops into towns where they can recover.

Canada:
-1st Maine militia to hold out in Montreal

New England:
-Schuyler to hold out in Norwich
-2nd New Hampshire militia ordered from Concord to Winchester, New Hampshire, across the river from the besieged Norwich.
-Warner’s mountaineers in Grand Ile to join the 2nd New Hampshire in Winchester. I’m hoping that together they might be able to lift the siege, or at least distract the enemy. I thought I had one more turn for Warner’s battalion to slip into Ticonderoga, so they are out of position. Woops.
-Washington to detach Lafayette and send him to lead the New Hampshire militia in Winchester.
-Washington to detach Kalb with three regulars, a militia and a dragoon (all badly beat up, three down to their last company) and send him to join Greene inside Boston.
-The remainder of Washington’s army (four regulars, a dragoon and an artillery) to maintain an evasive posture and recuperate outside Worcester. I’m gathering a large strike force that Washington will have available in August to return the war to New York State.
-Greene to send the 2n continental dragoons from Boston to join Washington
-Greene separately to detach Putnam and send him with five regulars and two militia to join Washington.
-With the remaining militia and supply Greene to garrison Boston.
-3rd Connecticut militia to proceed from Newport to join Washington in Worcester. 1st Rhode Island militia to take over garrison duty in Newport.
-6th Continental ordered from Hartford through New Haven, New London and Providence to join Washington in Worcester. 2nd Connecticut militia to garrison Hartford.

Middle States:

-2nd New York militia with a supply train to garrison Fort Stanwix.
-Stark with two regulars and his own mountaineers to head into the Adirondack mountains with Ticonderoga as his ultimate goal (can’t make it in one month).
-Ward to hold out in New York City (I transferred the naval guns to his command so they don’t have the 15% command penalty. I left one regular uncommanded so that both militia units can take advantage of Ward’s militiaman ability.)
-Arnold in Wyoming to take two regulars and two militia and attack Cornwallis’ single battalion of regulars. He is then to proceed to Mount Minsi, just north of Easton Pennsylvania. In August he will be able to return to cover Wyoming, head down the Delaware valley to Philadelphia, or head through Morristown New Jersey to West Point, or even head north across the Poconos towards the Mohawk valley, depending on what the British are up to.
-1st light infantry and the fixed garrison are left to hold Wyoming. The 1st light infantry is a powerful unit and I’d rather send it to Virginia than on Arnold’s dangerous diversion.
-Now that the British are significantly fewer on the ground, Allen is ordered through Head of Elk to Lancaster, Pennsylvania in a defensive posture. Hopefully I’ll be able to unite his two units with Gates or Arnold next month.

South Central:
-Gates to detach Lincoln with a regular, two militia and Kosciuski’s siege guns and take them from Winchester up the Potomac to Cumberland. From there I plan to send them over the Blue Ridge to Charlottesville or possibly to Lynchburg if necessary. These units all need several months to recover, and I’d like to get the siege guns to Charleston. I can’t seem to find the Shenandoah valley which is the direction they need to go in.
- Kosciuski himself to detach from Gates’ army and head to Guilford North Carolina. I need more leaders in the Deep South and Kosciuski is quite good.
-Gates to take the remainder of his army (two regulars and a militia, with one of the regulars at about half strength) and to march through Fort Frederick on Lancaster Pennsylvania with an assault posture. Hopefully he will run into and beat Butler’s light infantry in York. Ideally he’ll meet up with Allen in Lancaster and be able to threaten Philadelphia, defend Wyoming, or attack any enemy forces in the Baltimore/Alexandia region. He’s abandoning the defense of Virginia to Lee so I can carry the war back in to Pennsylvania.
-Lee with his regular and militia to march on Eyles ford, just west of Alexandria. I’m counting on him to lift the siege of Aleandria in August. Or, of course to retake it if it’s fallen.
-J Clinton to meet up with the Richmond levies and take them to join Lee.
-Sullivan with a regular and a militia (not completely recovered yet, but pretty close) ordered from Norfolk to Warrenton to prepare for an attack on the marines in Hillsboro
-25th continental to garrison Norfolk and work on it’s loyalty.

Deep South:

-GR CLark and his rangers to skirt Salisbury and Charlotte, and head to Saluda to keep an eye on Fort Ninety Six and the enemy troops there.
-R Howe to take the 32nd continental to Charlotte and occupy that strategic town. He is to prepare to aid Sullivan in Hillsboro.
-4th South Carolina militia to join Howe in Charlotte.
-Herkimer to take his two militia to Camden and start gathering a force to take Augusta and (ideally) relieve Savannah.
-Sumter to leave the 2nd North Carolina to prosecute the siege of Georgetown and join Herkimer in Camden.
-Sumter’s partisans to cross the swamps from Fort Watson to Georgetown, from where they should be able to stop Haldimand from intervening in Charleston.
-Morgan with four militia to assault Charleston. This is a bit of a gamble. If I lose I’ll have a hard time clearing the Deep South in ’77. If it succeeds I’ll be well on my way.
-3rd North Carolina militia to continue it’s retreat from Augusta and then to head to the forest of Saltcatchers and then the swamp of Edisto. Ideally the unit will reach Charleston and be able to recover there.
-Savannah garrison to hold out.

The enemy hold a lot of territory around the Mason-Dixon line, but they are scattered.
Attachments
Jul77MS2.jpg
Jul77MS2.jpg (198.8 KiB) Viewed 350 times

Return to “After Action Reports”