Whoo Boy! Getting Clowned on by the AI

A turn-based, simultaneous-play wargame with a classic 3D miniatures feel and a historical campaign.
Mazdaran

Whoo Boy! Getting Clowned on by the AI

Post by Mazdaran »

I have had both Tin Soldiers titles since they came out, and have recently reinstalled them.
The AI kicks my arse every time. I generally know the DBA rules, but the fact is I'm just not that great of a strategist (yet, at least) and I find it very difficult to get past the first battle.

The last big battle I played (and this ways some years ago) it was on the beach where you have to fight a battle line while holding a pass to the north. Well, I achieved both of these, at great loss of life. And then...Darius rolls out the other half of his army...

I'm not complaining, exactly - I get tired of the moron AI in _Total War_ charging uphill at a massive cantabrian circle of horse archers and clibinarii - but I find it so difficult to master the AI in battle that I feel it's impeding my ability/will to learn!

Other than that, I have no problems with these games. They are beautiful, run well and really replicate the feel of a tabletop battle. There is no obvious solution to battles (whereas in R:TW, as mentioned above, HORSE ARCHERS 4EVER).

Any big tips? I am not sure what I have the biggest difficulty with, probably maneuvering. As a strategy player, in general, I tend to be very conservative and even timid (I have to admit, my main tactic in grand strategy games is GET RICH, so I can steamroll opponents with unlimited men), which isn't exactly Alekanthros' style.
mbelew

RE: Whoo Boy! Getting Clowned on by the AI

Post by mbelew »

Glad to see someone still playing this 10 years later :)

How about trying not to be timid? Keep your troops in a tight formation with their fronts facing the enemy and punish the enemy with flanking attacks when they show theirs sides. It's best if you can get multiple attackers on to one target. Protect your flanks and your rear. Stay on high ground.

Cheers!
Marshall
Marshall
Mazdaran

RE: Whoo Boy! Getting Clowned on by the AI

Post by Mazdaran »

ORIGINAL: mbelew

Glad to see someone still playing this 10 years later :)

How about trying not to be timid? Keep your troops in a tight formation with their fronts facing the enemy and punish the enemy with flanking attacks when they show theirs sides. It's best if you can get multiple attackers on to one target. Protect your flanks and your rear. Stay on high ground.

Cheers!
Marshall

I ended up putting in Caesar the other day and running through the first battle, I had some luck by being somewhat more aggressive. Then again, Roman legions are generally more flexible than Makedonian phalangites and hit almost as hard.

Return to “Tin Soldiers: Alexander the Great”