Trade Bug / Error in Spartan ( on Vista )

Post bug reports and ask for tech support here.
DEB

Trade Bug / Error in Spartan ( on Vista )

Post by DEB »

1. I have come across a major bug / error in Spartan ( on my Vista PC ) [X(] !

On the Trade screen, you have an entry ( bottom right ) which states a Trade Limit etc..

Say this limit is 12. If I left click on a + or - button, instead of the buy or sell showing 1, it shows 12 , and the Trade Limit is reduced to Zero. Thus all of the trade allowance is used up at once, and for only one commodity. If the game changes the Trade Limit to say 24, the same occurs ( i.e. it shows 24 ), and the Trade Limit is again reduced to Zero. The same happens with a right click and I presume ( I have not tested it ), with the Control and Shift "additions" too. It appears to apply to all of the scenarios ( except for the third Tutorial which correctly follows the Manual ). Can this be fixed ? [&o]

[ In truth I am amazed to find this error on what is now a rather old game. Has no one else reported this ? [&:] ]

My game is the Just Play version ( licensed by Mastertronic ) and is patched up to V1.017 ( from a patch on the CD ). My PC is a Windows Vista Desktop ( with a 32 bit OS ).
Note that this OS runs the "Chariots of War" Trade system correctly ( albeit that system does not have a trade limit function ).

2. I also note a "minor" bug / error in the worker production calculations ( re excessive rounding ) [&:] :

If I have a worker who produces at 6, with a 10% bonus ; then this ( 6.6 ) is rounded up to 7. OK so far. If I have two workers who produce at 6 ( making 12 ), also with a 10% bonus ; then this ( 13.2 ) is rounded up to 15. So here it adds 12 + 1.2 + 0.6 + 0.6 = 15. Firstly the 10% is added twice. Secondly the rounding is applied to each figure before the calculation is continued. Thus the sum becomes 12 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 15. Thus in due course actually adding 25% ( rather than 10% ) ! This also continues for each additional worker, so that I have noted : 3 x 6 ( + 10% ) here, making 25 ( rather than 20 ).

HELP !!! [&o] [&o][&o]
DEB

RE: Trade Bug / Error in Spartan ( on Vista )

Post by DEB »

I am happy to report that I have traced the problem with regard to point 1. in my previous post here ! [8|]

It transpires that it is related to my use of Ctrl + Esc to drop the game to the desktop ( so I can read / check my PDF manual ).

Because the game has a function ( in the Trade system ) for the Ctrl key ; sadly it cannot differentiate between that use and the general PC usage of Ctrl + Esc to drop any game to the desktop... Therefore, each time I use Ctrl + Esc, I must then hit the Ctrl key after I go back "into" the game, in order to reset the game's Trade systems correct operational functions. Something similar applied in Chariots of War too. Perchance I should have remembered that... My Apologies.

Whilst here, I note also, that although the Ctrl or Shift keys can be used ( with Left and Right clicks ) to increase/decrease Trade buys/sells by 100 or 1,000 ; such usage is limited to the Trade Limit applicable at the time. I.E. If the trade limit is 80, then attempts to adjust Trade by 100 or 1,000 will result in an adjustment of 80 only ( less whatever amount had been "used up" already ). Sadly, the Manual does not cover the Trade Limit at all, and the Tutorials neglect it's issues.

Re 2. This is still an issue ( of sorts )...

Strangely the figures involved have changed slightly :

The first workers figures remain the same. They were correct anyway. If I have two workers who produce at 6 ( making 12 ), also with a 10% bonus ; then this ( 13.2 ) is rounded up now to 16 ( up 1 ). So here it adds 12 + 1.2 + 0.6 + 0.6 + 0.6 = 16. Firstly the 10% is added twice. Secondly the rounding is applied to each figure before the calculation is continued. However, I do not understand where the extra 0.6 has come from at all! Anyway, thus the sum becomes 12 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 = 16. Thus in due course actually now adding 33% ( it was 25% ) rather than 10% ! The third worker, however, remains at : 3 x 6 ( + 10% ) equaling 25 ( rather than 20 ) = +"39%" !

[ Sadly, I am unable to trace any reason for the change to the 2 Worker figures...[X(] ]

Return to “Tech Support”