Glitch with new update

havoc1371

Glitch with new update

Post by havoc1371 »

Noticed that randomly during my turn, a mouse click (no particular action) would trigger a "save" where the game "packages" then "uploads". Happened three times.
Hubert Cater

Re: Glitch with new update

Post by Hubert Cater »

Hi,

This is a new feature of PBEM, where there will be saves to the server periodically during your turn.

Hubert
OldCrowBalthazor

Post by OldCrowBalthazor »

havoc1371 wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:51 pm Noticed that randomly during my turn, a mouse click (no particular action) would trigger a "save" where the game "packages" then "uploads". Happened three times.
Hi...I was aware of this feature when running my first turn in a MP match...and emailed my opponent so he wouldn't be alarmed, as he will be recording a series along with me:>

"Didn't know if you were aware, but Slitherine implemented a new feature with its PBEM server. While playing a turn, the Server will periodically 'save' the turn at that point.
Happened 3 times at least during a 40 minute turn.
This is good...it's fast. It primarily was implemented because of the allegations of 'log out cheating' made, and weak internet connections. For me it's great because occasionally, especially in the mountains here in the winter, the wind will push the cable and temporarily cut the Internet. Even 10 seconds would be enough to kick me, particularly annoying after doing some complex moves 30+ minutes in!
I explained this while recording. If I didn't know about it beforehand, I may have got freaked out lol.
Anyways it packages a turn at that point...on a random mouse click...and is smooth and quick. Thought you might want to know." 🙂

So thats it...and I think its a great feature.
My YouTube Channel: Balthazor's Strategic Arcana
https://www.youtube.com/c/BalthazorsStrategicArcana

SC-ACW Beta Tester
1904 Imperial Sunrise Tester
SC-WW1 Empires in Turmoil DLC Tester
Tester of various SC Mods
havoc1371

Post by havoc1371 »

Hubert Cater wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:35 pm Hi,

This is a new feature of PBEM, where there will be saves to the server periodically during your turn.

Hubert
It is very annoying, interrupting play 4-5 times at random moments while I take my turn. I would prefer this to be something we can chose in the preferences/settings rather than being forced have it, though I understand the desire to prevent those who cheat.
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

The trouble with making it voluntary is that a cheater would opt not to use it.

It does also have the additional benefit - as it is not just to prevent cheating - that were your PC to crash, lose connection to the internet, or the server go down at the end of your turn, that not all of the move would be lost. This is something that has happened to players at times, causing frustration that can hopefully now be largely avoided.
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
havoc1371

Post by havoc1371 »

BillRunacre wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:21 am The trouble with making it voluntary is that a cheater would opt not to use it.

It does also have the additional benefit - as it is not just to prevent cheating - that were your PC to crash, lose connection to the internet, or the server go down at the end of your turn, that not all of the move would be lost. This is something that has happened to players at times, causing frustration that can hopefully now be largely avoided.
Not if it is a condition of play between two players. Just a box to check in set up and you agree to use it. If they won't, don't play them. But between two players who know each other and have played for a long time, its unnecessary and annoying.

Maybe lessen the frequency. In a 30 min turn play, I've had it "save" 5-7 times, interrupting me mid-click.
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Thanks for the feedback and I've made an adjustment (for the next build) so that it should not attempt to 'autosave' while anything is selected or during the middle of other in game actions. That is the best I can do for now and hopefully this will help.
rjh1971

Post by rjh1971 »

havoc1371 wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:07 pm
BillRunacre wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:21 am The trouble with making it voluntary is that a cheater would opt not to use it.

Not if it is a condition of play between two players. Just a box to check in set up and you agree to use it. If they won't, don't play them. But between two players who know each other and have played for a long time, its unnecessary and annoying.

Maybe lessen the frequency. In a 30 min turn play, I've had it "save" 5-7 times, interrupting me mid-click.
I do agree I find it annoying, it interrupts your game play.

I would rather have a box to check it or not having previously agreed it with your opponent. I do believe my opponents are all gentlemen and do not cheat.

Please consider making autosaving optional.
GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI
sokulsky

Post by sokulsky »

Good decision for mid-turn autosaves.

Return to “Tech Support”