Campaigns

Okayrun3254

Campaigns

Post by Okayrun3254 »

I thought I would share what my understanding of what are the essential building blocks to a solid campaign game.

Distinct sections of the whole campaign such as historical battles, or timeline (days, weeks, months) that are linked together in series.

The player must feel the pressure of using too much of available resources during one section of the campaign, which could cause problems for the player in the next campaign section. An example might be a player sacrificing a tank unit to win the campaign "scenario/section" but pay the price in not having that unit available for the next "scenario/section", and maybe having to purchase a new unit with less experience, capabilities. To me as a player, this type of decision is the essence of a well thought out campaign.
Saint Ruth

RE: Campaigns

Post by Saint Ruth »

Hi, yes, well it's still a work in progress, but units that carry from one scenario to the next will carry over their casualties, though the new scenario may allow increases of readiness/strength (that's up to the scenario designer).
/Brian[8D]
Deathtreader

Post by Deathtreader »

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

Hi, yes, well it's still a work in progress, but units that carry from one scenario to the next will carry over their casualties, though the new scenario may allow increases of readiness/strength (that's up to the scenario designer).
/Brian[8D]

Hi,

FWIW I hope you choose branching campaign scenarios as opposed to linear ones! [&o]

Rob.
So we're at war with the Russkies eh?? I suppose we really ought to invade or something. (Lonnnng pause while studying the map)
Hmmmm... big place ain't it??
- Sir Harry Flashman (1854)
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: Okayrun3254

I thought I would share what my understanding of what are the essential building blocks to a solid campaign game.

Distinct sections of the whole campaign such as historical battles, or timeline (days, weeks, months) that are linked together in series.

The player must feel the pressure of using too much of available resources during one section of the campaign, which could cause problems for the player in the next campaign section. An example might be a player sacrificing a tank unit to win the campaign "scenario/section" but pay the price in not having that unit available for the next "scenario/section", and maybe having to purchase a new unit with less experience, capabilities. To me as a player, this type of decision is the essence of a well thought out campaign.
You are tracking like a railroad.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: Deathtreader

ORIGINAL: Saint Ruth

/Brian[8D]

Hi,

FWIW I hope you choose branching campaign scenarios as opposed to linear ones! [&o]

Rob.
Saint Ruth has designed the campaign editor so we can do both. Campaign situations depend on the historical situations...sometimes a linear approach answers the mail and sometimes branching is better. Cake and eat it too.

Return to “Future Ideas”